2019 Predictions

qrdk

Kurt Vile as Garden/Woods sub if the album does well?

Wouldnt be too surprised if we saw Parquet Courts come back. I think we might get U.S. Girls next year which would be really great. Spritualized would be good, were incredible at Primavera with the choir and orchestra. A trio of headliners out of David Byrne, Spiritualized, Courtney Barnett, Beach House, Wilco, Patti Smith would sound about right to me. Gonna stick with my prediction of Mogwai on the thursday night. I think MGMT are in with a shout perhaps but but have heard theyre shit live.

Would love any of the following: 

Angel Olsen

BEAK>

David Byrne

Sharon Van Etten

U.S. Girls

Julianna Barwick

Death Grips

Mitski

Jon Hopkins

Seun Kuti

Ought

Hailu Mergia

Joan Baez (surprise booking like Bill Callahan last year)

Black Midi

LICE

Nils Frahm

Fever Ray

Fatamouta Diawara

Skee Mask

Edited by rhg_99

My various unsubstantiated predictions:

Spiritualized with orchestra is a very good shout.. Thursday night?
David Byrne also feels like a decent bet

Parquet Courts subbing main stage

Bonnie Prince Billy headlining Woods or Garden

Courtney Barnett playing high up the bill (subbing mainstage? headlining with Kurt Vile?)

Hailu Mergia (I enjoyed the increase in non-Western music this year. love Mergia)

Sharon Van Etten will play

5 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

Kurt Vile as Garden/Woods sub if the album does well?

Wouldnt be too surprised if we saw Parquet Courts come back. I think we might get U.S. Girls next year which would be really great. Spritualized would be good, were incredible at Primavera with the choir and orchestra. A trio of headliners out of David Byrne, Spiritualized, Courtney Barnett, Beach House, Wilco, Patti Smith would sound about right to me. Gonna stick with my prediction of Mogwai on the thursday night. I think MGMT are in with a shout perhaps but but have heard theyre shit live.

Would love any of the following: 

Angel Olsen

BEAK>

David Byrne

Sharon Van Etten

U.S. Girls

Julianna Barwick

Death Grips

Mitski

Jon Hopkins

Seun Kuti

Ought

Hailu Mergia

Joan Baez (surprise booking like Bill Callahan last year)

Black Midi

LICE

Nils Frahm

Fever Ray

Fatamouta Diawara

Skee Mask

Skee Mask Death Grips oh yes. Maybe Pantha du prince, Tim Hecker, Ben Frost, Four Tet. 

First attempt at one of these so don't crucify me lads. Not even going to attempt predicting the tipi this far ahead. It's severely lacking on folk based acts but I'm not as well versed in that stuff. Probably made it a bit too strong but here goes...

Thursday

Mogwai

Friday

Woods: Courtney Barnett or Angel Olsen, Parquet Courts, Rolling Blackouts C.F, Goat Girl, Phoebe Bridges...

Garden: Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Bonnie Prince Billy, Let's Eat Grandma, Bill Ryder Jones, Xlyorious White,

Big Top: Jon Hopkins (post-headliner), Battles, The Twilight Sad, Wand, Black Midi,

Tipi:

Saturday

Woods: David Byrne, Marianne Faithful, Anna Calvi, Mitski, Seun Kuti & Egypt 80

Garden: Okkeril River, Slint, U.S. Girls, Hailu Mergia, Jenny Hval

Big Top: Fever Ray (post-healdiner), Algiers, Ought, Josifin Orhn and the Liberation, Lice,

Tipi

Sunday

Woods: Spiritualized (with orchestra and choir), Sleaford Mods, Jim O'Rourke, Hinds, Khrunagbin,

Garden: Sharon Van Etten, tUnE-yArDs , Connan Mockasin, Fatamouta Diawara, Julianna Barwick

Big Top: Nils Frahm, (post headliner), BEAK >, Jeff Rosenstock, No Age, Pigs x7,

Tipi

Edited by rhg_99

6 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

First attempt at one of these so don't crucify me lads. Not even going to attempt predicting the tipi this far ahead. It's severely lacking on folk based acts but I'm not as well versed in that stuff. Probably made it a bit too strong but here goes...

Thursday

Mogwai

Friday

Woods: Courtney Barnett or Angel Olsen, Parquet Courts, Rolling Blackouts C.F, Goat Girl, Phoebe Bridges...

Garden: Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Bonnie Prince Billy, Let's Eat Grandma, Bill Ryder Jones, Xlyorious White,

Big Top: Jon Hopkins (post-headliner), Battles, The Twilight Sad, Wand, Black Midi,

Tipi:

Saturday

Woods: David Byrne, Marianne Faithful, Anna Calvi, Mitski, Seun Kuti & Egypt 80

Garden: Okkeril River, Slint, U.S. Girls, Hailu Mergia, Jenny Hval

Big Top: Fever Ray (post-healdiner), Algiers, Ought, Josifin Orhn and the Liberation, Lice,

Tipi

Sunday

Woods: Spiritualized (with orchestra and choir), Sleaford Mods, Jim O'Rourke, Hinds, Khrunagbin,

Garden: Sharon Van Etten, tUnE-yArDs , Connan Mockasin, Fatamouta Diawara, Julianna Barwick

Big Top: Nils Frahm, (post headliner), BEAK >, Jeff Rosenstock, No Age, Pigs x7,

Tipi

I like it but yeah, a little ambitious I think

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Cat Power putting new shit out there, I'd love to see her headline next year. I know she's got a rep for being unreliable live and having breakdowns on stage, but she seems way beyond that these days and was wonderful when I saw her touring Sun.

She headlined the Garden Stage in 2016, so while I could see her maybe making a sideways move and sub the Woods Stage, it seems a bit too soon sadly and would be a weird choice of headliner. This is a shame, of course, as I missed her two years ago for a deeply lifeless Animal Collective set. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:32 AM, teamcampesinos! said:

She headlined the Garden Stage in 2016, so while I could see her maybe making a sideways move and sub the Woods Stage, it seems a bit too soon sadly and would be a weird choice of headliner. This is a shame, of course, as I missed her two years ago for a deeply lifeless Animal Collective set. 

I saw Cat Power at The Garden Stage. She was a bit wobbly that night. Kept walking on and off stage, unhappy with the sound and the lighting. There does seem to be more stage monitoring issues on the Garden than any other stage in recent years - Big Thief, Jonathan Wilson and others this year, Julie Byrne last year. It's a shame because the sound quality for the audience is great.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, paulwa said:

I saw Cat Power at The Garden Stage. She was a bit wobbly that night. Kept walking on and off stage, unhappy with the sound and the lighting. There does seem to be more stage monitoring issues on the Garden than any other stage in recent years - Big Thief, Jonathan Wilson and others this year, Julie Byrne last year. It's a shame because the sound quality for the audience is great.

Not disagreeing with you regarding the Garden Stage but in terms of Cat Power, that's more to do with her i think.  I too saw her that night and i've seen her a dozen times over what must be 15 years or so and i honestly think she's been 'flawless' once!  She always leaves the stage only to come back and promptly leave again.  I genuinely don't mind it... i guess i just accept it as the price for hearing her sing!

I really hope she returns to EOTR in '19... probably Garden again if i had a choice but, to agree with you again, hopefully with no sound issues as definitely a factor this year.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:31 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Cat Power putting new shit out there, I'd love to see her headline next year. I know she's got a rep for being unreliable live and having breakdowns on stage, but she seems way beyond that these days and was wonderful when I saw her touring Sun.

She was good at All Points East this year.