2019 Predictions

qrdk

Forgot about Bridgers, and very much second Sleater-Kinney though I'm not sure what they're doing now. Was also looking last night at the setlist from the Mountain Goats' current US tour and thinking it's been too long since I saw them last - someone's put a bootleg from last week up at https://archive.org/details/tmg2018-08-31

A distant chance, but Prolapse played the latest in a spotty run of reunion gigs last night and are supposedly working towards an album.

Find this festival basically impossible to predict but my most confident feeling is that we'll see Sleaford Mods take a prominent set somewhere, probably subbing the Woods - been a while since they played, had a big popularity boost since and I heard their latest tune played around site a bunch of times.

As for what I'd like to see, a Modest Mouse headline set would be dreamy if they're around, and a very EOTR kind of booking. David Byrne has been suggested and would be excellent, Sigur Ros, Bon Iver, The National, something like that, I dunno. Trust this festival to pull off something excellent anyway.

It's not that hard to predict. There is a pattern. I'm not able to go there next year, so I predict Courtney Barnett and/or Sharron van Etten headlining, with Angel Olsen and Our Girl somewhere below, just to piss me off big time. I could also see Mogwai coming back.

17 minutes ago, paulwa said:

It's not that hard to predict. There is a pattern. I'm not able to go there next year, so I predict Courtney Barnett and/or Sharron van Etten headlining, with Angel Olsen and Our Girl somewhere below, just to piss me off big time. I could also see Mogwai coming back.

And they'll chuck bloody Interpol, Damien Jurado, Waxahatchee in there too. Perhaps the return of Bloc Party?

Meanwhile I'll be having a nice birthday meal with my family. Not bitter at all. No, not bitter at all.

11 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Forgot about Bridgers, and very much second Sleater-Kinney though I'm not sure what they're doing now. Was also looking last night at the setlist from the Mountain Goats' current US tour and thinking it's been too long since I saw them last - someone's put a bootleg from last week up at https://archive.org/details/tmg2018-08-31

A distant chance, but Prolapse played the latest in a spotty run of reunion gigs last night and are supposedly working towards an album.

Was at the Moth last night, not a fan of reviving the '90s but Prolapse were summat else (but support FiveHead were funnier).IMG_20180906_220138.thumb.jpg.c3d069e352c036534b34c9039b9552cd.jpg

18 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Find this festival basically impossible to predict but my most confident feeling is that we'll see Sleaford Mods take a prominent set somewhere, probably subbing the Woods - been a while since they played, had a big popularity boost since and I heard their latest tune played around site a bunch of times.

As for what I'd like to see, a Modest Mouse headline set would be dreamy if they're around, and a very EOTR kind of booking. David Byrne has been suggested and would be excellent, Sigur Ros, Bon Iver, The National, something like that, I dunno. Trust this festival to pull off something excellent anyway.

Not sure about Sleaford Mods, they remind me too much of a Vic and Bob p*ss take.

Bon Iver or the National would be fantastic though if they don't consider themselves too big nowadays?

2 hours ago, Anotherciderlife said:

Not sure about Sleaford Mods, they remind me too much of a Vic and Bob p*ss take.

Bon Iver or the National would be fantastic though if they don't consider themselves too big nowadays?

Fair enough on the Mods but that won't stop em getting booked again. Aye I would've thought that previously re Bon Iver/The National but they did book Vampire Weekend this year who'd I'd put at similar size or bigger so the door's pretty open for it.

18 hours ago, paulwa said:

I dunno man, was anyone really predicting Vampire Weekend this year? Feist, even? They certainly weren't popular picks.

- Courtney Barrett- second down on the woods stage?

- King Gizzard- garden headliner (like Oh Sees and Ty Segall have been for the past two years)

- Unknown Mortal Orchestra 

- Mogwai- Thursday headliner?

- John Maus

- Dream Wife

- Bon Iver- would say he's too big, but they did get Vampire Weekend...

1 hour ago, Tomos_ said:

- Courtney Barrett- second down on the woods stage?

- King Gizzard- garden headliner (like Oh Sees and Ty Segall have been for the past two years)

- Unknown Mortal Orchestra 

- Mogwai- Thursday headliner?

- John Maus

- Dream Wife

- Bon Iver- would say he's too big, but they did get Vampire Weekend...

Mogwai on the Thursday is a shout. And yeah they need to get UMO next year - too big for Big Top headliner?

Edited by Mash011

If this were to turn to a wishlist, rather than a prediction list, here are my thoughts........

What do I really want? Well, Thursday should be a weary wander down to the main stage to catch a band I'm not really into, but am happy to listen to........ I'd have just put up my tent after the Everest-esque hike up that hill, so a relatively easy on the ear band with some big tunes would do..... 2 or 3 years ago it was Slowdive....... they were pretty perfect to me for a Thursday night......

Friday I want to dance or jump up and down to a headliner........ Flaming Lips (yep, totally style over substance, but still fun), Holy Fuck (I'd be dancing to their tunes big time), a big Swedish pop band, someone fun.......

Saturday headliner should be someone a bit more 'intelligent'........ great but also someone who makes me think...... Daughter? Lanterns on the Lake? Mogwai? Geez even though theyve only done one album, Minor Victories? In a perfect world, Thee Silver Mt Zion, but I guess there's more chance of GY!BE

Sunday headliners should be a little bit chilled...... I would say Julia Holter but she blew it....... Bing and Ruth (not even sure if he could do it live, no idea)..... Death In Vegas.......Agnes Obel...... Anna Von Hausswollf

Then in the daytime I'd have fun discovering whom I'd want as 2020 headliners

Edited by JimiC999