Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

Was looking at the positioning of the Boiler on the map and the top end of the tent can't be accessed from the sides (so will be enclosed). I've felt ever since they changed to the hanger style design it's just too open and light, particularly during the day which is a big chunk of the time it's in use.

When I think back to the how the Boiler was when I first started going, it felt edgy and underground and the atmosphere was pretty crazy a lot of the time because it was rammed. The roof was low and the whole of one side was closed and I loved spending time in there. Some of the best memories I've had at PKP were in the Boiler - Collabs 3000 in 2007 and Sub Focus, Eric Prydz and Andy C all on the same day in 2009 spring to mind - but I struggle to think of much recently that compares to those? Feels like it's lost some of that appeal lately because, as it's just so cavernous, it's half empty a lot of the time. A smaller enclosed tent (like how they set them up at Awakenings for instance) will help build a much better atmosphere imo. Those lasers will be something special as well so it's all looking good for the re-birth of the Boiler!!

7 hours ago, Semprini said:

Nice news report here with quite a few shots of the stages. Looks like the police will be keeping an eye on everyone...

https://www.tvl.be/nieuws/pukkelpop-is-er-klaar-voor-politie-dagelijks-met-200-agenten-aanwezig-83114

They want to do extra controls on drugs. Festivals and drugs are quite a hot topic here in Belgium at the moment, since there was a drug related death at Tomorrowland.

1 hour ago, Stef_P82 said:

They want to do extra controls on drugs.

What do they mean by ‘extra controls?’ There’s obviously more cctv in place but are they planning anything different for when people enter the arena? Takes long enough at certain times to get in anyway so don’t want to be stuck in queues for ages.

Typical knee jerk reaction by the authorities following what happened at Tomorrowland (there was also some stories about workers bringing drugs on site and selling them). Of course there’s people who take drugs at PKP but it’s nowhere near as bad as a lot of the festivals I’ve been to in the UK. It’s not uncommon there to see dealers openly advertising their wares and there’s always a lot of really hammered people (including lots of teenagers) passed out or throwing up. 

I understand they have to show that they’re doing something to combat drugs (particularly to the media) but testing booths and advice centres would be much more beneficial than just surveillance and searches. 

Anyway, got some packing to go and do now...

12 minutes ago, Semprini said:

I understand they have to show that they’re doing something to combat drugs (particularly to the media) but testing booths and advice centres would be much more beneficial than just surveillance and searches. 

You're absolutely right about the media.

About drug testing: https://m.hln.be/showbizz/muziek/festivals/pukkelpop/medisch-probleem-met-drugs-op-pukkelpop-gebruiker-kan-naar-hulppost-zonder-overgedragen-te-worden-aan-politie~aaa4f2ef/

In short: they want people who feel bad after taking drugs to go seek medical assistance and they will not be reported to the police.

5 minutes ago, Stef_P82 said:

You're absolutely right about the media.

About drug testing: https://m.hln.be/showbizz/muziek/festivals/pukkelpop/medisch-probleem-met-drugs-op-pukkelpop-gebruiker-kan-naar-hulppost-zonder-overgedragen-te-worden-aan-politie~aaa4f2ef/

In short: they want people who feel bad after taking drugs to go seek medical assistance and they will not be reported to the police.

Thanks for sharing the link. That's a good start but surprised to hear it's the first time anything of this nature has been available in Belgium. I know it's been going on in the Netherlands for quite a while and even here in the UK there's been drug testing booths at a number of festivals (free and available to anyone) for a few years now.

I guess the people who make up middle Belgium are no different to the ones in middle England in that they're vocal voters who don't really know much about the issues but have to be appeased through the media. There's already a couple of interesting comments at the bottom of the article that completely miss the point - 'If people consciously take drugs, why should they be helped to get their plan?' (might be slightly lost in translation there but the sentiment holds). Lots of people will make the choice this weekend to drink and/or take drugs at PKP (just like they do at other festivals, nightclubs, bars and their homes all the time) so it's sensible that they're going to put support measures in place to help anyone who gets in trouble. 

Meant to also say it's interesting how they show quite a few shots of the Boiler during that news report. Further to my previous post about it, glad to see the back of the tent is also covered so should give the Boiler much more of a club feel.

Got a few friends who are already there so can't wait to get going myself now!

Edited by Semprini

21 hours ago, Semprini said:

Was looking at the positioning of the Boiler on the map and the top end of the tent can't be accessed from the sides (so will be enclosed). I've felt ever since they changed to the hanger style design it's just too open and light, particularly during the day which is a big chunk of the time it's in use.

When I think back to the how the Boiler was when I first started going, it felt edgy and underground and the atmosphere was pretty crazy a lot of the time because it was rammed. The roof was low and the whole of one side was closed and I loved spending time in there. Some of the best memories I've had at PKP were in the Boiler - Collabs 3000 in 2007 and Sub Focus, Eric Prydz and Andy C all on the same day in 2009 spring to mind - but I struggle to think of much recently that compares to those? Feels like it's lost some of that appeal lately because, as it's just so cavernous, it's half empty a lot of the time. A smaller enclosed tent (like how they set them up at Awakenings for instance) will help build a much better atmosphere imo. Those lasers will be something special as well so it's all looking good for the re-birth of the Boiler!!

100% agreed. I think we've even touched upon that last year when we were talking about our favorite designs within the boilerroom itself. For me it kind of lost it's edge aswell when they decided to the (half)open kind of tent and from a crowd pleasing perspective, I get it. In 2015 they still had the massive tent but build smaller tents on the outside with some speakers so that people could dance there aswell. Ultimately they're probably going to have to go towards an open air stage à la Red Bull Elektropedia Balzaal @ Dour type of thing to keep everything well organised. 

I feel like Pukkelpop would be nothing without the infamous boilerroom stage but at the end of the day, I feel like they let that stage slide a bit down hill when they opted to get rid of two (Shelter & Wablief?) and replaced them with two really small spaces which ever since they introduced them have always changed placements on the map.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Stef_P82 said:

They want to do extra controls on drugs. Festivals and drugs are quite a hot topic here in Belgium at the moment, since there was a drug related death at Tomorrowland.

Instead of having an open debate on using drugs safely, nah.. More checks. It doesn't solve anything on the problem, just the amount that people are gonna bring in.

Now sitting at the port in Harwich getting ready to board the ferry. Got my brother in tow for the first time this year and looking forward to showing him what it’s all about!

Been a pleasure as always to share the build up with everyone on here and can’t wait to get stuck in now. Safe travels to you all and looking to seeing some of you at the meet on Friday.  

Edited by Semprini
  • Upvote 1

Also, weather wise, depending on which forecast your look at it's not that bad. I've favoured AccuWeather over the years, they only say showers (and a thunderstorm around), nothing to suggest sustained rain. YR.NO, the Norwegian weather people have nothing Friday, a bit Saturday night and more but not loads Sunday morning. From the other years, the ground seems to hold up pretty well, here's hoping.

Got into Amsterdam this evening and it’s been raining quite heavy constantly. It’s making me like my decision to switch from lowlands to PKP earlier this year. Hopefully them few extra miles south help a bit.

Seeing the chats tomorrow night and then it’s a drag my arse out of bed at 6am job to get to there. 

31 minutes ago, gigi21 said:

Guys, as I have never met any of you before, how I can find the EFest meeting?

I've got a dark Fjallraven t-shirt on, Im with @jimmyjimmy4080with a stripy t-shirt on. 

First thoughts are that the Club seems tiny, Idles will be rammed. Dance Hall seems bigger this year. 

Edited by DDave
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DDave said:

I've got a dark Fjallraven t-shirt on, Im with @jimmyjimmy4080with a stripy t-shirt on. 

First thoughts are that the Club seems tiny, Idles will be rammed. Dance Hall seems bigger this year. 

Ok a put on my sunglasses with a palm and a flamingo on and it should be easier :D

idles will be crazy in this tent!