Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

9 hours ago, johnybegood said:

Blink 182 guy who plays in Simple Creatures left Blink 182 a couple of years ago...

I think you are talking about Tom DeLonge.. The blink guy in Simple Creatures is Mark Hoppus and he is still in the band. 

The line-up is more or less complete now for friday, saturday and sunday. I think a maximum of 10 names to be added still for those days. I guess we will get the stage breakdown when the thursday line-up will be announced.

2 hours ago, Salva said:

The line-up is more or less complete now for friday, saturday and sunday. I think a maximum of 10 names to be added still for those days. I guess we will get the stage breakdown when the thursday line-up will be announced.

I'd like to think we're due a biggish for Friday still. There's 2 names in yellow for the main stage on the Saturday and Sunday but only one on the Friday. Someone from the yet to be sold out RW line up maybe?

Few bits of staging news - nothing too major I'm afraid but will be useful for the clashfinder:

Hyukoh - Lift

DTM Funk b2b Arno Lemons, Jeremy Underground, Palms Trax and Bjeor all playing the Booth on Saturday (think in that order too)

Lefto - 3 hour closing set in the Booth, so from 12am - 3am on Sunday

Some nice names in that last announcement, especially a few of the Belgian DJs such as Klaps, A Local Hero and One Track Brain. Had a quick listen to Plague Vendor as well who sound decent. Did hear a couple of weeks back that most of the bookings had been made so don't think we should expect much more on the main festival days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

Few bits of staging news - nothing too major I'm afraid but will be useful for the clashfinder:

Hyukoh - Lift

DTM Funk b2b Arno Lemons, Jeremy Underground, Palms Trax and Bjeor all playing the Booth on Saturday (think in that order too)

Lefto - 3 hour closing set in the Booth, so from 12am - 3am on Sunday

Some nice names in that last announcement, especially a few of the Belgian DJs such as Klaps, A Local Hero and One Track Brain. Had a quick listen to Plague Vendor as well who sound decent. Did hear a couple of weeks back that most of the bookings had been made so don't think we should expect much more on the main festival days.

Good info!

Here's how it's looking for me so far, pending clashes....

Friday - Franz Ferdinand, Crystal Fighters, Sharon Van Etten, The National, Idles. Martin Solveig

Saturday - The Chats, Ezra Collective, Gossip, Hot Chip, Sohn, The Streets, Pond, Parcels, Whitney, Life, Eels, Royal Blood, Tame Impala

Sunday - I dont know how but they found me, Yeasayer, Durand Jones, The Beths, Bodega, Airborne, Johnny Marr, Kate Tempest, Anderson Paak, Kelis, Charli XCX, The National, Prophets of Rage, Camelphat.

Saturday for me is probably the best single day they've put on since I've been going - wall to wall quality and lots of bands I've not seen before either. Such a massive difference compared to last years middle day! Going to be some painful clashes no doubt and I've not even started on the boiler room line up, which for me is also the best out of the 3 days. I'll barely get to see it though.

Sunday is very decent too. Friday still could do with something extra as I'm not the worlds biggest National or Post Malone fan but Idles are there which is the most important thing. I'll have to do a bit more digging to see if anything else takes my fancy.

All in all I think they've done a brilliant job with the line-up and seemed to have pleased most of the demographic that makes up the usual Pukkelpop crowd.

99 days to go!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone in the know on festileaks is saying that strong names are coming soon, and that Frank Carter is closing the club on Friday and that Billie Eilish is in the Dance Hall, which I'm amazed at given the last six months she has had, thought she'd be nailed on for the main. 

As for names, I'd still love it to be New Order from the RW line up. That'd be a dream addition for me. 

54 minutes ago, DDave said:

Someone in the know on festileaks is saying that strong names are coming soon, and that Frank Carter is closing the club on Friday and that Billie Eilish is in the Dance Hall, which I'm amazed at given the last six months she has had, thought she'd be nailed on for the main. 

As for names, I'd still love it to be New Order from the RW line up. That'd be a dream addition for me. 

Idles and Frank Carter would be an unbeliveable Club closing on friday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDave said:

It's apparently Frank Turner closing the Club but would rather it was Carter (who is great live and would be amazing on that stage late at night).

The information/vibe I'm picking up is that bands/DJs are assigned a stage well before they are even officially announced as playing, most likely at the point when the contract is signed. Obviously there are circumstances when this can change but I'm guessing Billie Eilish was booked Nov/Dec last year and she's obviously blown up in the past few months so if the Dance Hall is where she's due to play, it's going to be woefully inadequate now. I can't imagine her status/popularity is any different in Belgium but here in the UK she's the hottest, 'must see' act of the summer. As a lot of the PKP crowd are quite young I'm guessing she will be very high up on many people's lists, so you're right Dave - the Main is the only logical (and safe) place for her to play. In the current climate, they could easily elevate her to 'headliner' status and very few would have any argument - certainly more contemporary and relevant than Prophets of Rage imo. Not saying she's better than them or anything but I can see her getting a crowd of Dua Lipa proportions if they put her on the Main. PKP is still three months away and she will have played loads of other big festivals by then so the hype will continue to build and build.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, Frank Turner it was. Always mixing them two up. Apologies, I'd rather it was Frank Carter as well. Danger of Idles clashing with a decent main stage act now, thought they'd be up against Post Malone which would have been perfect. 

I am actually tempted to go on this, as I might be on vacation during the period. Do you think it will sold out? If it does, how soon it does?

How is the logistic for somebody travelling by flight?

Is the site big? Shall I downsize my expected schedule due to long travels from one stage from another? Is there any map?

Is that a festival you would attend on your own? (So far I did Sziget on my own and it was easy peasy and Mad Cool which was less solo-friendly but still easy going).

I actually wanted to start this post with my favorite schedule, but then I got actually mesmerized by the names and now I am like "man, gimme insights I need to ponder!"

Thank you all!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

I am actually tempted to go on this, as I might be on vacation during the period. Do you think it will sold out? If it does, how soon it does?

How is the logistic for somebody travelling by flight?

Is the site big? Shall I downsize my expected schedule due to long travels from one stage from another? Is there any map?

Is that a festival you would attend on your own? (So far I did Sziget on my own and it was easy peasy and Mad Cool which was less solo-friendly but still easy going).

I actually wanted to start this post with my favorite schedule, but then I got actually mesmerized by the names and now I am like "man, gimme insights I need to ponder!"

Thank you all!

Possible sold out the month/weeks before. 

There are free trains included in the tickets. From Hasselt there's a shuttle bus to Kiewit. 

The festival site is quite big, from Main Stage to Dance Hall it could take about 15 mins during the bigger names. 

It's a quite young festival but for sure you'll meet some people (but it is not like Sziget imo). 

c5b3890eb416-pkp18.festivalsite.jpg

Edited by alan_ts

On 5/30/2019 at 12:36 AM, Semprini said:

It's apparently Frank Turner closing the Club but would rather it was Carter (who is great live and would be amazing on that stage late at night).

The information/vibe I'm picking up is that bands/DJs are assigned a stage well before they are even officially announced as playing, most likely at the point when the contract is signed. Obviously there are circumstances when this can change but I'm guessing Billie Eilish was booked Nov/Dec last year and she's obviously blown up in the past few months so if the Dance Hall is where she's due to play, it's going to be woefully inadequate now. I can't imagine her status/popularity is any different in Belgium but here in the UK she's the hottest, 'must see' act of the summer. As a lot of the PKP crowd are quite young I'm guessing she will be very high up on many people's lists, so you're right Dave - the Main is the only logical (and safe) place for her to play. In the current climate, they could easily elevate her to 'headliner' status and very few would have any argument - certainly more contemporary and relevant than Prophets of Rage imo. Not saying she's better than them or anything but I can see her getting a crowd of Dua Lipa proportions if they put her on the Main. PKP is still three months away and she will have played loads of other big festivals by then so the hype will continue to build and build.

Hey, I have significant experience in advancing artists for festival shows and from experience this is the case, It gets ironed out (not stage times) but rather more what stages artists will be on. This is usually because agents will be representing more than one artist at each festival and is easier to use specific stages at established festivals to leverage for other artists on their roster. I can imagine BE being booking for Dance Hall and locking it in early doors, doesn't mean her fee still isn't going to be extortionate though.

• Upvote 2

Looking at the clashfinder, there's not many slots to fill now. If there are 'strong names' to come you'd think it'd be bands that are already at RW. Had a quick scan and these are the bigger bands at RW that are still around for the Pukkelpop weekender and the days they are free on. Any of the smaller bands you would think would have been announced by now.

Bears Dean – Saturday/Sunday

Bastille – Free all 3 days

The Good, the Bad & the Queen – Saturday/Sunday

Robyn - Friday/Sunday

New Order - Friday / Saturday

Years and Years – Sunday

Parkway Drive – Saturday / Sunday

Paul Kalkbrenner – free for 2 as yet unknown days (at Lowlands for 1 day)

I'd say that TGTBATQ are the most likely, with them being in Luxembourg on the Thursday and Lowlands on the Friday. Plus their drummer (Tony Allen) is playing PKP on the Sunday with Jeff Mills so makes it more than a possibility. Robyn added as a Friday subheadliner? Suppose there's a small chance Florence could be added but it's rare we share the top headliners.