Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

56 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

So how was the 2nd set of the National? I was hoping to see more gems in the setlist but after all it was Studio Brussels audience that vote for the setlist if I understood correctly. Great setlist either way. 

I only caught the first half, but they played pretty much all my favourite National songs in that time, so I was well happy.

What happened with the flags and the green activist? Just scrolling through my Facebook at the airport and seen the statement. Anyway great weekend with POR being party central last night. Campsite was a mess this morning. They could do with trying to tackle people throwing cans and food on the floor along with taking the tents home solid effort from the fest to promote it though. 

3 hours ago, tomato12345 said:

What happened with the flags and the green activist? Just scrolling through my Facebook at the airport and seen the statement. Anyway great weekend with POR being party central last night. Campsite was a mess this morning. They could do with trying to tackle people throwing cans and food on the floor along with taking the tents home solid effort from the fest to promote it though. 

Basically this girl is the face of the student climate strikes in Belgium and in between concerts she made an appearance in the Boiler for something called 'Clap for Climate'. But people started booing and later she and her friends got harassed (tents destroyed, bottles of urine thrown at them,...) by some douchebags with Flemish flags. So the organisation started taking away Flemish flags (associated with the right and nationalistic parties) which caused a huge controversy and politicians started joining the conversation which made everything worse. 

Yeah, there were some people marching down the street outside with the yellow and black flags, they got beer thrown at them. Looks like some right wing types taking the flemish flag (or a version thereof) and associating it with their rightwing ideals and being dicks, there's just no place for that kind of doucebaggery at Pukkelpop 

9 hours ago, ThijsDB said:

Basically this girl is the face of the student climate strikes in Belgium and in between concerts she made an appearance in the Boiler for something called 'Clap for Climate'. But people started booing and later she and her friends got harassed (tents destroyed, bottles of urine thrown at them,...) by some douchebags with Flemish flags. So the organisation started taking away Flemish flags (associated with the right and nationalistic parties) which caused a huge controversy and politicians started joining the conversation which made everything worse. 

And the next day members of Vlaams Belang came down and were distributing free flags at the site entrance.

8 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

Yeah, there were some people marching down the street outside with the yellow and black flags, they got beer thrown at them. Looks like some right wing types taking the flemish flag (or a version thereof) and associating it with their rightwing ideals and being dicks, there's just no place for that kind of doucebaggery at Pukkelpop 

The all-black lion flag was used in WWII by extreme right (Flemish) Belgians who collaborated with the Nazis, that's why the current bunch of fuckwits have adopted it as ''their" symbol.

18 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

I am a dead man. 

I'm dead-er.

Lost my phone/had it stolen during the Streets which was shit (losing the phone, not the Streets)

Had another great edition and in music terms, probably the best, a lot of bands brought their A-game with some stunning performances and great crowd reactions. I'll post more when I've recovered a bit more. Had more sleep last night than the last 3 put together.

random celeb encounter, bumped into Ghostemane in the airport, had a brief chat and he seemed like a nice enough bloke.

Think I got my moneys worth, quick run through the lineup and I saw this lot (* is where saw only part of a set)

1. Inhaler
  2. Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
  3. Stormzy
  4. Loyle Carner
  5. Idles
  6. The National*
  7. Martin Solveig*
  8. Channel Tres
  9. Whitney
  10. Skeggs
  11. Gossip
  12. The Chats
  13. SHON
  14. The Streets*
  15. The Beths
  16. Ertebrekers 80’s Extravaganza*
  17. Ata Kak/Airbourne
  18. Billie Eilish
  19. Ghostemane*
  20. Bullet for my Valentine*
  21. Anderson .Paak & the Free Nationals
  22. Prophets of Rage
  23. Johnny Marr

Off the top of my head top acts; Gossip, Anderson Paak, Prophets of Rage, Marr. Only ones where I really expected more were The National, The Streets and Ata Kak

Edited by TheNewUnion
details

Highlights for me:

Tame Impala!!!!

Johnny Marr

Brutus

Jon Hopkins

Prophets of Rage

I also enjoyed: Harvey Sutherland, Stormzy, Raketkanon, Modeselektor, Channel Tres, Penelope Isles, Gossip, Pond, Eels, Durand Jones and the Indications, Anderson Paak., Kelis, The National

Deceptions:

Jorja Smith, The Streets, Two Feet

All in all a superb experience, as every year. Loved the beer shack, missed Cookpit.

Edited by Salva

• 4 weeks later...

Well this time last month, etc, etc..

Well, that was a brilliant edition and for me the line up lived up to the expectations with hardly any disappointments and as I've said before so many bands brought their A-game which was great to see and made for a great weekend.

Didn't make the pre-party so my weekend started with dipping into Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes, Portland, Big Thief, Stomrzy, Prospa and a few others. Didn't really get fully into it till Franz Ferdinand brought the hits and then watched full sets by Idles and The National who were fantastic. Ended up with Agoria (live) and a bit of Crystal Fighters. Not a bad start for what was my weakest day.

Saturday was my favourite day and the run of Whitney, Pond, Mike D, Gossip, Eels, The Streets, Parcels, the back end of Royal Blood, bits of Sohn and the Streets was only mildly spoiled by Mike D (worse set of the weekend) and losing my phone. My mind was pretty much made up about seeing Hot Chip and the poor weather for Tame Impala confirmed it for me. Disappointing not to see TI but Hot Chip blew me away yet again - best performance of the weekend. Special mentions to Gossip who really pulled it off, pulling in a fairly decent crowd, which I feared they wouldn't and for Parcels who were brilliant, close 2nd to Hot Chip for the band of the day.

Sunday started with the earliest I've ever been at the site, (12.40pm!!) for Airborne who were great fun but slightly overshadowed by a fairly small crowd, half of whom were lifeless fuckers waiting for Billie Eilish. We watched a bit of her, the crowd was nowhere near the reported 47,000 people that the festival suggests, Anderson Paak I think had more and it was nowhere near the crowds I've seen there for the Foos and Major fucking Lazer. She was alright though.

Highlights for Sunday were Durand Jones (what a voice), Bodega and the aforementioned Anderson Paak who was ace. Loved Prophets of Rage but they just weren't loud enough and they could have played for longer with a bit more Public Enemy thrown in. Big highlight was Charli XCX who we binned off Kelis for as she was a boring and really didn't offer anything I've not seen before from her, wow - what a difference in atmosphere, Charli killed it with a really up for it crowd. Act of the day probably Johnny Marr, proper up for crowd again and was a lot more poppy and upbeat than I thought it would be, 'How Soon is Now' sounded incredible. Finished the weekend in the boiler for the closing party set which was great fun and what an atmosphere. 

Organisation was perfect as usual, got good spots at every set and was never crowded at any point despite being sold out. Only disappointments were the right wing/climate change nonsense, the weather and even that was better than expected and the celeb encounters were very low this year, think I only spoke to Bob from Bodega and that's it.

Room is booked for next year and barring a 2015 type line up, we'll be there next year, albeit with a better diet - no man can live on chicken burgers for lunch and dinner 3 days straight, zipped pockets and decent footwear (RIP my toenails)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3