Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190613_04458384

They're not planning on sticking BE on the main mainstage anytime soon, then. I'm assuming it'd have to be a new and a lot more expensive contract for her to move?

For perspective, she is the 2nd most streamed artist in the world at the moment. Very dangerous move putting her in the Dance Hall. Don't think a few screens are going to cut it. Neither is putting her up against the National. I hope they know what they're doing. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I get that BE was probably booked over 6 months ago and at that point putting her in the Dance Hall as headliner was a feasible option. However, she has blown up something crazy since then and is now arguably a 'bigger' name/draw/attraction than Twenty One Pilots for a lot of the PKP crowd.

As a gauge, how does she compare to Dua Lipa last year? She had one of the biggest crowds of the weekend (possibly THE biggest?) and her evening placement worked perfectly in terms of creating a communal buzz and feel-good atmosphere in the crowd that led nicely into the nighttime program. The Main was the only stage that could have safely handled the crowd and I don't see this year with BE being any different. 

The sensible and obvious thing to do would be to move Pennywise or Airbourne into the spare Marquee slot and shift everyone from A Day to Remember down a place. That would then free up the 4.40-5.40pm slot for Billie, which I'm sure would see her get a crowd of gargantuan proportions. 

The design of the Dance Hall doesn't lend itself well to crowds bigger than its capacity, as a lot of the side panels of the tent are closed off so everyone has to gather at the back. They also don't have any kind of system for shutting down tents when they get too full so the crowd have to effectively police it themselves. Maybe they will put something in place this year, like they have at RW, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as usual.

When you consider that it was rammed and stupidly busy last year for Jess Glynne you can only begin to imagine what it will be like if they keep to the schedule and Billie ends up playing in there. It's good that this issue is starting to pick up wider attention (with that article Dave posted) so be interesting to see whether it makes any difference in the long run. You've also got to wonder whether her whispered vocals will even be heard over Pan Pot's jackhammer techno that will be coming through from the Boiler next door?!?

• Like 1

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but it looks like they're moving the Club tent? Just been looking at the timetable and the bands that are playing the pre-party are all listed in the Club. Reckon they will put it where the Castello was last year - perhaps the two tents will swap places?

It's not a massive distance between the two but, if the beer shack is in the same place, the switch would make sense now the late night DJs are in the Club. 

24 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but it looks like they're moving the Club tent? Just been looking at the timetable and the bands that are playing the pre-party are all listed in the Club. Reckon they will put it where the Castello was last year - perhaps the two tents will swap places?

It's not a massive distance between the two but, if the beer shack is in the same place, the switch would make sense now the late night DJs are in the Club. 

Does make sense. Can't see them putting the Castello behind the Marquee though. Maybe they'll put the lift behind the Marquee again and have the Castello where the Lift was in 2018.  

7 minutes ago, DDave said:

Does make sense. Can't see them putting the Castello behind the Marquee though. Maybe they'll put the lift behind the Marquee again and have the Castello where the Lift was in 2018.  

Yeah, that would be the best option. Not sure why but I thought the Club was where the Lift was last year when I wrote that last post?!? There's not a huge amount of dance stuff in the Castello this year so moving it to where the Lift was in 2018 won't be a big issue.

Think this also confirms they'll be no late night DJs in the Castello as they shut that section off after 2am (12am on Sunday) once all the stages finish. The Booth has pretty much done away with the need for underground DJs in the Castello, which was hit and miss anyway (remember there being about 50 people in the tent for MK in 2016, although he did clash with Rihanna).

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I get that BE was probably booked over 6 months ago and at that point putting her in the Dance Hall as headliner was a feasible option. However, she has blown up something crazy since then and is now arguably a 'bigger' name/draw/attraction than Twenty One Pilots for a lot of the PKP crowd.

As a gauge, how does she compare to Dua Lipa last year? She had one of the biggest crowds of the weekend (possibly THE biggest?) and her evening placement worked perfectly in terms of creating a communal buzz and feel-good atmosphere in the crowd that led nicely into the nighttime program. The Main was the only stage that could have safely handled the crowd and I don't see this year with BE being any different. 

The sensible and obvious thing to do would be to move Pennywise or Airbourne into the spare Marquee slot and shift everyone from A Day to Remember down a place. That would then free up the 4.40-5.40pm slot for Billie, which I'm sure would see her get a crowd of gargantuan proportions. 

The design of the Dance Hall doesn't lend itself well to crowds bigger than its capacity, as a lot of the side panels of the tent are closed off so everyone has to gather at the back. They also don't have any kind of system for shutting down tents when they get too full so the crowd have to effectively police it themselves. Maybe they will put something in place this year, like they have at RW, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as usual.

When you consider that it was rammed and stupidly busy last year for Jess Glynne you can only begin to imagine what it will be like if they keep to the schedule and Billie ends up playing in there. It's good that this issue is starting to pick up wider attention (with that article Dave posted) so be interesting to see whether it makes any difference in the long run. You've also got to wonder whether her whispered vocals will even be heard over Pan Pot's jackhammer techno that will be coming through from the Boiler next door?!?

They've said they've had very big names in there before without a problem but the 3 biggest names they've had in there recently were as you say, Jess Glynne last year, Dua Lipa the first time round and Disclosure. All of which were way too packed. You can easily add another 2-3000 people who were outside the tent to the 8000 who were inside the tent for Dua Lipa. I think you'd get at least 20k people who would be ardently trying to watch BE which is just asking for trouble. Stick her on the main and I think she'd comfortably get the biggest crowd of the weekend. 

I think with this year we're going to see the smallest main stage crowds of any recent edition. Aside from Twenty One Pilots, and Post Malone who are assured fairly big crowds I just can't see many others pulling the numbers in, particularly the rock bands (Prophets of Rage aside) and even Tame Impala. Think Anderson Paak and Anne-Marie could draw surprisingly big crowds though due to them being on at a good time and having little competition. 

Edited by DDave

10 minutes ago, DDave said:

They've said they've had very big names in there before without a problem but the 3 biggest names they've had in there recently were as you say, Jess Glynne last year, Dua Lipa the first time round and Disclosure. All of which were way too packed. You can easily add another 2-3000 people who were outside the tent to the 8000 who were inside the tent for Dua Lipa. I think you'd get at least 20k people who would be ardently trying to watch BE which is just asking for trouble. Stick her on the main and I think she'd comfortably get the biggest crowd of the weekend. 

I think with this year we're going to see the smallest main stage crowds of any recent edition. Aside from Twenty One Pilots, and Post Malone who are assured fairly big crowds I just can't see many others pulling the numbers in, particularly the rock bands and even Tame Impala. Think Anderson Paak and Anne-Marie could draw surprisingly big crowds though due to them being on at a good time and having little competition. 

I think Stormzy (on the back of Glastonbury) and Mura Masa will get decent crowds on Friday. Agree with Anne Marie on Saturday but reckon Royal Blood will be busy too as they've not played PKP before and are popular. Think you're spot on with Anderson Paak but it could unfortunately be POR that suffer with a small crowd as not convinced they've got enough crossover appeal with the younger folk.

The Main is a strange beast though, and easily the most unpredictable stage, so who knows what the transient PKP crowd will go with this year???

Main Stage is really odd in terms of who draws a crowd and who does not. Janelle could have played Lift a few years back, no one there at all. Noel Gallagher also drew a pretty small crowd and Biffy didn't get a huge turnout either. Pop acts like Ellie Goulding always get a big crowd, so unless "rock day" has sold a lot of day tickets just for the rock, then there might be some weird crowds that day.

7 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

Main Stage is really odd in terms of who draws a crowd and who does not. Janelle could have played Lift a few years back, no one there at all. Noel Gallagher also drew a pretty small crowd and Biffy didn't get a huge turnout either. Pop acts like Ellie Goulding always get a big crowd, so unless "rock day" has sold a lot of day tickets just for the rock, then there might be some weird crowds that day.

Biffy is really small in Belgium. They can't sell out a venue for 2000 people. 

Pop and electronic acts attract the biggest crowds, it says a lot of the demography of the Pukkelpop goers. They lost a lot of the "alternative" goers the last years. They are trying to win them back this year, let's see how this will work out. 

On 6/14/2019 at 5:52 PM, TheNewUnion said:

We normally have a Pukkelpop/efestivals catch up one of the days over the festival. Keep an eye on the forum here and someone will set the date, come along for a beer and a chat.

Hi! Thanks a lot for information!) Will be in touch!

Given the current timetable this will probably be my schedule for the week-end

FRIDAY:

Eefje De Visser (if arriving on time)

Nilufer Yania

Harvey Sutherland

Stormzy or Beraadgeslagen

Flohio

Yves Tumor

Raketkanon/Modeselektor (overlap: will probably leave Raketkanon on time since I have seen them recently - by the way: they were on fire)

Jon Hopkins/The National (overlap: planning to watch Jon till the end of his show)

James Blake or Agoria

SATURDAY:

Brass Against

Franc Moody

Life

Pond

Mike D

Code Orange

Jorja Smith

Brutus

Eels

Royal Blood

The Streets

Tame Impala

SUNDAY:

Bodega

Durand Jones

Hyukoh

Two Feet

Anderson Paak

Kelis

POR

The National

Johnny Marr

A combi ticket will be worth its money me thinks...

• Like 2

Very strong line-up this year, lots of darlings to kill...

For now, this would be my schedule:

THURSDAY

Gestapo Knallmuzik

Peuk

SONS

Heideroosjes

The Van Jets

FRIDAY

Marquee Orchestra

Eefje de Visser

MDC III / Nilüfer Yanya

Big Thief

Yves Tumor / Sharon Van Etten / blackwave.

Loyle Carner

Raketkanon / Kamaal Williams / Mura Masa

slowthai

The Comet Is Coming / IDLES

The National

James Blake

SATURDAY

PUP

Brass Against

Mini Mansions / Equal Idiots

Whitney

Ezra Collective

Mike D

Jorja Smith

Brutus

The Chats / eels

SOHN

The Streets / Altin Gün

Tame Impala

SUNDAY

Ertebrekers 80s Extravaganza

Shht / Pennywise / The Beths

Ata Kak

Ghostemane

Durand Jones & The Indications

Kate Tempest

Anderson.Paak & The Free Nationals / Bamba Pana & Makaveli

Prophets Of Rage 

Billie Eilish (if possible, otherwise Kikagaku Moyo)

Jeff Mills & Tony Allen

Already looking forward to it...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DDave said:

Combi ticket purchased!

Have noticed that Hot Chip have been covering 'Sabotage' on their latest tour. Be a real moment if Mike D could join them on stage for a rendition of it after his DJ set.

Nice one Dave.

And yes, that would be mint. Currently cross referencing Pukkel and NOS Alive, so see who is playing both to try and alleviate inevitable clashes. Hot Chip top of the list at the moment, playing both should free up a decent slot at one or the other.

• Like 1

New names for Lowlands

De Staat, Juice WRLD, Carista, HONNE, Joost, Louis Cole, Mashrou 'Leila, NAO, Allan Rayman, Bambounou b2b William Djoko, Channel Tres, Charlotte Adigéry, Durand Jones & The Indications, Full Crate b2b JAEL, HYUKOH, K Á RYYN , KOKOKO !, Measuring system, Otoboke Beaver, Sir Reg, TITIA, Tera Kòrá, The Howl & The Hum and Turnstile.

Can see Nao taking the last Dance Hall slot on the Sunday

16 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

Nice one Dave.

And yes, that would be mint. Currently cross referencing Pukkel and NOS Alive, so see who is playing both to try and alleviate inevitable clashes. Hot Chip top of the list at the moment, playing both should free up a decent slot at one or the other.

Hot Chips new album is very, very good.

13 minutes ago, DDave said:

New names for Lowlands

De Staat, Juice WRLD, Carista, HONNE, Joost, Louis Cole, Mashrou 'Leila, NAO, Allan Rayman, Bambounou b2b William Djoko, Channel Tres, Charlotte Adigéry, Durand Jones & The Indications, Full Crate b2b JAEL, HYUKOH, K Á RYYN , KOKOKO !, Measuring system, Otoboke Beaver, Sir Reg, TITIA, Tera Kòrá, The Howl & The Hum and Turnstile.

Can see Nao taking the last Dance Hall slot on the Sunday

I can see Juice WRLD having the spot. He is performing on Les Ardentes at the 4th of July, so he can be announced after that date. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

I can see Juice WRLD having the spot. He is performing on Les Ardentes at the 4th of July, so he can be announced after that date. 

Yeah, was going to include Juice WRLD, just thought it was quite an early slot for him and I'd had it in my head he was ruled out. Makes sense now with the Les Ardentes date. He's playing in Finland on the Friday so if he's at Lowlands on the Saturday then it's very probable he'll take the slot.