Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

14 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Foo Fighters are too expensive for Pukkelpop. They were a serious option, but in the end they couldn't agree with the fee. 

They had some bad years financially. 

Sad to hear. I think the tell tale signs were 2015 by looking at the headliners they were booking and 2016 can't have been a big seller judging by the crowds at Noel G and LCD Soundsystem. Forking out for Rihanna (ugh) didn't help matters. As Semprini said though, I'd rather have less expensive headliners and a stronger depth of undercard than a massive band with a load of day trippers turning up just for that one big band. Give me 2016,17 & 18's line ups over 2009,2010 & 2013's (the last 3 years I went over the first 3 years) any day

That said, with the history the Foos have with the festival and looking at their other dates they're doing I'm still surprised a deal wasn't done. I guess money really does talk. 

28 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Foo Fighters are too expensive for Pukkelpop. They were a serious option, but in the end they couldn't agree with the fee. 

Thanks for the info Ken. I'm with Dave and Semprini, I'd much rather see a better overall line up than one huge headliner that takes a big chunk of the budget.

You aware of the rest of the line up? Any gems (big or small) we can look forward to, if so? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken19 said:

Many of us here - despite how we might moan about the line up from one year to the next - have an affiliation with the festival and want to see it do well. Guess it's a bit like football teams - when you've got yours you're stuck with them through thick and thin whether you like it or not! We don't want to see PKP go through difficult times but if that happens and the upshot is them re-assessing their values and goals to make it a better festival then that surely can only be a good thing?

This is a business they're running, and in a very competitive and crowded market, so if they don't deliver the goods people will vote with their feet. They essentially re-invented the festival after the storm and these past few, 'difficult' years may well have been the catalyst for that to happen again, which seems to be what is happening now.

We're half way through the line up and there's already more than enough there to keep me busy for the best part of four days! Sometimes the addition of more bands/DJs I like can just cause stressful clashes and more difficult choices to make but it's rare I have any down time over the weekend so can't see this year being any different.

Feels like they've gone back to basics, listened to what their crowd want while still being true to the original ethics the festival was built on. Think we all accept they have to move with the times and draw in youngsters who will be the next generation of 'old gits' when we're not fit to push our Zimmer frames round the site but the balance seems to be so much better this year.

Edited by Semprini
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ThijsDB said:

52596086_10156047057254249_2349819312501424128_n.jpg

Cheers for that. As feared, doesn't look as impressive to me when it's laid out but it's still a very solid start. Looks like Prophets of Rage are subs then. Martin Solveig and Anne Marie are strangely in bolder font than most of the other names and the most surprising 'big font' name is Dermot Kennedy (edit - 6.7 million monthly listeners on Spotify says I'm wrong) 

No real weak day for me and there all fairly evenly balanced, Saturday being the favorite day so far, am already fearing some clashes on that day. Sunday looks a bit thin though so there should be plenty of Marquee names to come. Still hoping for Suede and New Order. 

Edited by DDave

5 hours ago, DDave said:

Cheers for that. As feared, doesn't look as impressive to me when it's laid out but it's still a very solid start. Looks like Prophets of Rage are subs then. Martin Solveig and Anne Marie are strangely in bolder font than most of the other names and the most surprising 'big font' name is Dermot Kennedy (edit - 6.7 million monthly listeners on Spotify says I'm wrong) 

No real weak day for me and there all fairly evenly balanced, Saturday being the favorite day so far, am already fearing some clashes on that day. Sunday looks a bit thin though so there should be plenty of Marquee names to come. Still hoping for Suede and New Order. 

New Order are playing RW aren't they? Doubt they'll be coming I'm afraid

52 minutes ago, DDave said:

I know. But often they tend to share a couple of acts and they're often announces quite late on. One can hope. 

Tend to be smaller acts than that though, don't they? I'd be happy to see New Order on the bill, but unfortunately can't see it. I'll join you in keeping the faith though!

2 minutes ago, gregory said:

go without her! ? 

I am doing Download with the mates, promised I would do a fest with her....she wants Boardmasters........

I am going to keep the apartment I booked for Hasselt though as its free cancellation and see what my money situation looks like in a couple of months

9 minutes ago, pryce said:

Girlfriend failed to tell me its her sisters hen do that weekend...got excited for nothing !!!

In both cases you won't stay with her, so tell her you will stay at home watching football and go to PkP ?

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, DDave said:

Martin Solveig and Anne Marie are strangely in bolder font than most of the other names and the most surprising 'big font' name is Dermot Kennedy (edit - 6.7 million monthly listeners on Spotify says I'm wrong) 

I think that's just because the contract said so, nowadays it isn't out of the ordinary for a band to ask in contract to be written in a certain size or position on the poster.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, SilverLining said:

Nice i just found a site map from last year, looks like they changed the system for wristbanding on one side of the road and turning round to join the queue at the other. Literally the only bad part of the festival as I was always arriving at peak times after getting up at 4am and flying then travelling to site.

Did they make it so once wristbanded you could head straight into chill? would be a class idea if so.

Excited to making it back to PKP after a year off festivals to focus on work, easily the best festival i have been to.

They had dozens of booths where you could turn in your ticket for a wristband. Once you got it, it was checked on your wrist on that same side of the road, than crossing the road, security check on the other side of the road and you were in. We arrived on thursday at around 14h00 and the whole process took less than 5 minutes.

If you missed last year, I can guarantee you that you will adore a new addition to the site: the beer shack. A great place to hang out when there is nothing interesting on stage (although that rarely happens, even in last year's edition which was one of the worst if not the worst ever according to lots of people - myself not included).

1 hour ago, Salva said:

They had dozens of booths where you could turn in your ticket for a wristband. Once you got it, it was checked on your wrist on that same side of the road, than crossing the road, security check on the other side of the road and you were in. We arrived on thursday at around 14h00 and the whole process took less than 5 minutes.

If you missed last year, I can guarantee you that you will adore a new addition to the site: the beer shack. A great place to hang out when there is nothing interesting on stage (although that rarely happens, even in last year's edition which was one of the worst if not the worst ever according to lots of people - myself not included).

Perfect sounds great!

I have one last Q for everyone (for now), I usually camp in chill but on two years with only one big downpour during the day we were feared for the tent and missed some acts we really wanted to see. This year we are looking at booking pre-made accom in relax. For a 4 bunk, shed thing it quotes 580euro, thats not per person is it? Also, I assume does not include combi. Emailed and messaged PKP a few days ago but heard nothing in return.

12 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Perfect sounds great!

I have one last Q for everyone (for now), I usually camp in chill but on two years with only one big downpour during the day we were feared for the tent and missed some acts we really wanted to see. This year we are looking at booking pre-made accom in relax. For a 4 bunk, shed thing it quotes 580euro, thats not per person is it? Also, I assume does not include combi. Emailed and messaged PKP a few days ago but heard nothing in return.

That's 580 euro for the 4 and not including the combi ticket

Edited by DDave

2 hours ago, SilverLining said:

Perfect sounds great!

It's 580 euro for 4 persons. You get a bunk that's lockable, it gives me a secure feeling when I'm at the festival area.

Remember that there are no bedlinnen or sleeping bags. Also no electricity. There's a private parking place.

Free wifi and lots of funny entertainment. And in the night it's quiet, so you don't wake up because the neighbors make noise.

The camping has now moved to a spot closer to the festival area.

And no, the festival combi isn't included.