Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

Pukkelpop has just released another 20 new names for the edition of next summer. Yesterday there were 15 guitar names announced, today it is already pop and urban which is the clock.

On Friday, August 16, Pukkelpop proves to be with his time by programming the wonderful grime of Flohio . Stormzy, Loyle Carner, slowthai and Joji (formerly known as YouTuber Filthy Frank ) provide more hip hop. With Joost there is even room for dutch hopping. Also Clairo , a YouTube sensation, draws present. Furthermore, Martin Solveig (live) , electro jazz magician  Kamaal Williams and the summery Crystal Fighters were added to the poster.

On Saturday 17 August, especially contemporary r & b star Jorja Smith and pop sensation Anne-Marie are the eye-catchers. Jazz is provided by Ezra Collective , danceable funk by Franc Moody . And then there is De Jeugd Van Tegenwoordig .

It is looking forward to Sunday, August 18, when Charli XCX - the queen of the alternative doll - goes down to Kiewit. Another recommendation: Kate Tempest , with her socially engaged spoken word become hip hop. More dark hiphop is found at Ghostemane and Princess Nokia - the second one released an emo plate last year. For soul and blues you can contact Durand Jones & The Indications .

So it's both Pop and Urban...mixed bag for me, no Robyn which sucks and not sure why they've brought Martin Solveig and Stormzy back so soon but suppose having a Glasto headliner won't do the festival any harm, this will be 3/4 years for Solveig. Aside from that, very happy with Kate Tempest, Charli XCX, Ezra Collective and Crystal Fighters who were great at Beat Herder festival the other year. Franc Moody are also worth a watch.

Edited by DDave

I think this line-up already has more acts i would go out my way to see than last year did. Can someone clairfy though, is 21Pilots and Tame Impala the headliners? Do we have room for another at this stage?

From what I can see yellow on the website indicates stage headliners with blue being either subs or top card names? Leaving room for loads more top card.

Edited by SilverLining

43 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

Maybe 2 big names on Friday, since Post Malone is already teased on festileaks?

Yeah had that thought. Unless they're breaking the electronic artists into bands & DJ's and split that over 2 days. Did wonder, if we are getting them what genre the Streets will be placed in? 

11 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

I think this line-up already has more acts i would go out my way to see than last year did. Can someone clairfy though, is 21Pilots and Tame Impala the headliners? Do we have room for another at this stage?

Main stage wise - 21 Pilots and Tame Impala are the headliners so far. Its expected that Post Malone will probably be the third. Then its a question of how they'll fill in the sub headliners and/or dance closers. Royal Blood is one, Major Lazer and Anderson Paak likely to be others in with a shout. Hope there's still at least one more main stage surprise to come. Doesn't real feel like a proper Pukkelpop without a really big established name to me. 

Edited by DDave

1 minute ago, DDave said:

21 Pilots and Tame Impala are the headliners so far. Its expected that Post Malone will probably be the third. Then its a question of how they'll fill in the sub headliners and/or dance closers. Royal Blood is one, Major Lazer and Anderson Paak likely to be others in with a shout. Hope there's still at least one more main stage surprise to come. 

I'd be happy with that if they keep churning out half decent names to fill out the weekend. I'd go see Tame Impala but I do like scope for going to other stages on other days. I'll definitely be going to see the National on one of the days anyway.

As 'pop ' announcements go, today was pretty decent. Charli XCX and Anne Marie are harmless throw-away afternoon fun in the sun (like Dua Lipa last year), Martin Solvieg is cheesy but has a big back catalogue and there's definitely kudos in having a current Glastonbury headliner playing lower down your bill. Ezra Collective and Franc Moody sound interesting, Crystal Fighters are always good value and Jorja Smith is making lots of waves so plenty to check out. Happened to stumble across Kate Tempest a few years ago in the Castello and she was amazing so will try and see her again if timings permit.

Loving these daily announcements as it keeps the anticipation levels up as you've always got something to look forward to. Strategy is working really well so far as I can't remember a year when there's been so much positivity on Efests?!? Still time though for them to announce Placebo and Snow Patrol to give all the grumpy old men on here something to moan about :lol: