Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

Dance line up is pretty strong this year at Coachella but not too much else I'd be that bothered about.

It's always nice though to get confirmation that certain bands/DJs will be doing the rounds next summer so hoping we get most of the following - Bob Moses, Deep Dish (!), Ross from Friends, SG Lewis, Aphex Twin (long overdue), Four Tet, Christine and the Queens (unless RW get her first), Stephan Bodzin, Gesaffelstein, Kaytranada, Hot Since 82, Jon Hopkins, Camelphat and Dusky. 

This news also adds further weight (not that it was necessarily needed) to the fact that Tame Impala will most likely headline a night outright if booked. They're in Europe the week before at Flow so it's a strong possibility really. If they have the likes of Deadmau5 or Major Lazer as closer and a decent sub or two such as Christine and the Queens, Anderson Paak, Foals etc (will probably be someone shite though like Bastille or Mackelmore) beforehand and it'll be job done for one night.

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

Dance line up is pretty strong this year at Coachella but not too much else I'd be that bothered about.

It's always nice though to get confirmation that certain bands/DJs will be doing the rounds next summer so hoping we get most of the following - Bob Moses, Deep Dish (!), Ross from Friends, SG Lewis, Aphex Twin (long overdue), Four Tet, Christine and the Queens (unless RW get her first), Stephan Bodzin, Gesaffelstein, Kaytranada, Hot Since 82, Jon Hopkins, Camelphat and Dusky. 

This news also adds further weight (not that it was necessarily needed) to the fact that Tame Impala will most likely headline a night outright if booked. They're in Europe the week before at Flow so it's a strong possibility really. If they have the likes of Deadmau5 or Major Lazer as closer and a decent sub or two such as Christine and the Queens, Anderson Paak, Foals etc (will probably be someone shite though like Bastille or Mackelmore) beforehand and it'll be job done for one night.

Go back 6, 7, 8 years to see how strong the dance line-up was then.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Go back 6, 7, 8 years to see how strong the dance line-up was then.

Been following Coachella every year since at least 2001 when I holidayed in Palm Springs (sadly not during the festival) and it's been interesting to see how the line ups have evolved over time.

It's obviously all subjective of course but the introduction of the Yuma tent has (for my tastes anyway) vastly improved the quality of the dance music on offer. The DJs they've booked for that stage this time are really decent if you're into techno in it's various forms and that, coupled with some great live acts such as Aphex Twin, Gesaffelstein, Four Tet etc, give it a pretty strong feel overall. Granted there's no big marquee dance names but most of the likely candidates have all played before (some quite recently and others many times).

6-8 years ago they were regularly booking the likes of David Guetta, Tiesto, Calvin Harris, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafia and Martin Garrix but I'm sure if you wanted to you could pick out some 'decent' names to counter those. It's easy though to look back at past festival line ups and think how stacked they were (the time Magnetic Man, Hot Chip, Major Lazer, Deadmau5 and Plastikman all played the Dance Hall at PKP on the same day is one that springs to mind for me) but obviously a lot of the big bands now weren't that well known at the time so it's all relative really.

58 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Been following Coachella every year since at least 2001 when I holidayed in Palm Springs (sadly not during the festival) and it's been interesting to see how the line ups have evolved over time.

It's obviously all subjective of course but the introduction of the Yuma tent has (for my tastes anyway) vastly improved the quality of the dance music on offer. The DJs they've booked for that stage this time are really decent if you're into techno in it's various forms and that, coupled with some great live acts such as Aphex Twin, Gesaffelstein, Four Tet etc, give it a pretty strong feel overall. Granted there's no big marquee dance names but most of the likely candidates have all played before (some quite recently and others many times).

6-8 years ago they were regularly booking the likes of David Guetta, Tiesto, Calvin Harris, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafia and Martin Garrix but I'm sure if you wanted to you could pick out some 'decent' names to counter those. It's easy though to look back at past festival line ups and think how stacked they were (the time Magnetic Man, Hot Chip, Major Lazer, Deadmau5 and Plastikman all played the Dance Hall at PKP on the same day is one that springs to mind for me) but obviously a lot of the big bands now weren't that well known at the time so it's all relative really.

Yeah Tiesto and Garrix played back when they were good, I liked both with Tiesto early far passing Garrix mind. SHM I liked but stuff like Moby, Fedde le Grand, Hawtin, Benassi. Prydz, Oakenfold, Knife Party and Hot Chip although not me as are not all of them.

Probably won't happen but the chances of getting the Strokes have slightly increased as they won't be around for BKS so if they'll be doing a Dutch festival it's likely to be Lowlands. Seeing as they've not been announced for a Belgian festival yet they're still in the running for Pukkelpop. 

gb19_admat_final_wide-b0c4f5b6.jpg

22 minutes ago, arcuse said:

The Strokes aren't headlining anything in Europe unless it's a small fest in the UK and they aren't coming for anything less than that.

What ? They've headlined Roskilde Festival before and I suspect and hope they will do so agains this year. And Roskilde is a pretty damn big festival. They would headline most European Festivals I'm sure.

(I know Roskilde has a lot of headliners, but on each day the band playing at 22.00 is the "real" headliner, and The Strokes had that spot in 2011) 

3 hours ago, arcuse said:

The Strokes aren't headlining anything in Europe unless it's a small fest in the UK and they aren't coming for anything less than that.

They are headlining Bilbao BBK and Doctor Music Festival in 2019. (it's official) At least. They'll be probably announced at Super Bock Super Rock as well... 

14 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

https://www.w-festival.com/en/line-up

Some good names here. If The Human League can come to Pukkelpop I'd be most grateful. 

Can't be many of those headliners under the age of 60. I saw at least three of them (Stranglers, Human League and Lene Lovich) live in the 1970s...

Interesting to see that Allez Allez have jumped on the nostalgia bandwagon and reformed, though. They were the first Belgian band I ever got into, long before Pukkelpop was conceived.