Pukkelpop 2019

DDave

Well it's been a couple of weeks now...

15-19 August 2019.

Following on from last years formula of bands playing in the bigger Belgian venues at around the first names coming out in March this year I reckon there's a very high chance of Florence and The Machine and Twenty One Pilots being on the upper echelons of the bill. I'd have added Shawn Mendes to that list but he's ruled out due to being in the US.

Given the number of metal festivals around now, I'd be surprised if we got Metallica again although they are rumoured to be doing festivals. Ed Sheeran is continuing to tour until September and Coldplay rumoured be doing festivals but you'd imagine they'd be at RW & Pinkpop rather than Pukkelpop and Lowlands, think it'd be Ed out of the two though if it were to happen. If the rumours about Gorillaz this year were true and they're still around next year I can see them being a possibility. I'd also add the Arctic Monkeys to the list of possibilities and the Foos are heavily rumoured to be doing Reading/Leeds. Throw in the inevitable hip hop/RnB name like Childish Gambino/Weeknd/Drake of course (can't see it being Travis Scott for some odd reason) and one of the organisers favourites (e.g. the Pixies) and I can see it being something like this.

Pixies / Childish Gambino / Gorillaz or Arctic Monkeys 

Twenty One Pilots / Florence and the Machine / Disclosure

Kasabian / Foo Fighters / Die Antwoord or Post Malone

Predicting Tuesday 12th March for first names, unless we get a big one beforehand (The Foos)

Edited by DiscothequeDave

The Weeknd and Drake are to expensive to function as some sort of dance-closer, they'd be a headliner on their own right now. Childish Gambino is rumoured to play Glastonbury and can't see Gambino play PKP when LN's first choice for a rad artist will always be RW.

I think LN will either put Sheeran away on a seperate event like Boutique/Classic or at Werchter though he'd be pull a lot of tickets for PKP if the organisation got him. Where you'd see that he's gonna tour until september, Dave?

Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys are my best bets aswell. I can see F+TM doing RW again, but this time with a co headlining act (not a rather wack sub aka Macklemore). I can see Disclosure headlining PKP like The Chem Bros did a few years ago IF their new record is a big succes.. Together with TOP they'd be a good pair, I think. For the undercard it's still a bit to early I think.

Lastly, which (pop) act is gonna get a big push next year? (see Dua Lipa this year, Bear's Den/London Grammar last year) :) 

Foo Fighters - Arctic Monkeys - Disclosure - Twenty One Pilots

17 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Except he said a few months ago that he'll continue to make make music and perform under his real name. Unless he really quits music and is gonna focus on his film/tv career but I don't think that'll be the case.

29 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Except he said a few months ago that he'll continue to make make music and perform under his real name. Unless he really quits music and is gonna focus on his film/tv career but I don't think that'll be the case.

That, plus the fact that he can just announce additional dates for 'this' tour. I expect him to play some festivals in the USA and Europe.

14 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

I've  got the feeling Tame Impala could be one of the big names. My other candidates are Arctic Monkeys, The Weekend and Netsky.   

Not too excited about The Weekend as a possibility. Opinions about Arctic Monkeys @ RW2018 were divided: great songs, but Alex Turner nowadays acts like he's God's greatest gift.  Netsky's star is fading but could indeed be easily added as a closing party-act after Tame Impala f.e. Compared to this year's line-up, this would be an improvement (for me). 

2 hours ago, DaveRSV4 said:

Opinions about Arctic Monkeys @ RW2018 were divided: great songs, but Alex Turner nowadays acts like he's God's greatest gift.

Their performance was a bit to light for me. I expected a rock show but except for a few older and harder songs, they kept it pretty slow and mellow. The fact that he couldn't get lose of his hair or his glasses were also kinda annoying to look at lol.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

Contender for the token shite American band for next year

https://www.nme.com/news/music/panic-at-the-disco-2019-uk-europe-tour-tickets-2370069

Ahah in a tent in the afternoon that could be fun, they are not bad performers, big scenography and well played 

1 hour ago, Tremousse said:

Ahah in a tent in the afternoon that could be fun, they are not bad performers, big scenography and well played 

Can't see them being anywhere but main stage if they were on the line up.

And step forward the daughters possible choice, handily touring around the usual first announcement timeframe 

Image result for nicki minaj european tour 2019

Edit - saw a rumour on twitter that Coldplay were playing Paris on the Pukkelpop Saturday - presumably Stade de France, could put them in the mix if they decide to open the wallet for them (doubtful though)

Edited by DiscothequeDave

13 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Can't see them being anywhere but main stage if they were on the line up.

And step forward the daughters possible choice, handily touring around the usual first announcement timeframe 

Image result for nicki minaj european tour 2019

Edit - saw a rumour on twitter that Coldplay were playing Paris on the Pukkelpop Saturday - presumably Stade de France, could put them in the mix if they decide to open the wallet for them (doubtful though)

Nicki Minaj...that would be like hitting rock bottom. But like you said... if it was/is up to Chokri Daughter ... ?  Coldplay...No way Live Nation would "give" them to PKP. They would easily sell Werchter Boutique or a separate day on the Werchtergrounds, (60000-65000 att. for one act) or headline one of 4 RW-days where they need the "bigger" names to sell 88.000 tickets. 

5 hours ago, DaveRSV4 said:

Nicki Minaj...that would be like hitting rock bottom. But like you said... if it was/is up to Chokri Daughter ... ?  Coldplay...No way Live Nation would "give" them to PKP. They would easily sell Werchter Boutique or a separate day on the Werchtergrounds, (60000-65000 att. for one act) or headline one of 4 RW-days where they need the "bigger" names to sell 88.000 tickets. 

I don't think PKP have the money for Coldplay, especially since the disastrous sales this year. LN will put them in a stadium or Werchter anyway. 

Nicki Minaj...please no. 

1 minute ago, Death By Sexy said:

He could play at thursday though? Full tour will be announced within an hour. PKP announced they will release the aftermovie today. Maybe maybe...

Thursday is the pre-party which should follow the same format. Plus they wouldn't want the biggest name playing on the first day as there's no incentive for his fans to stay till the last day. Unless he gets announced for RW I'd say he's a near certainty for the Sunday. Appreciate that Sziget is announcing him today but I'd imagine there's no other dates close to Hungary which is maybe why other festivals located fairly near the stadiums that he's playing can't announce till later.

It will be interesting to see if the aftermovie gives any clues.

43 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Thursday is the pre-party which should follow the same format. Plus they wouldn't want the biggest name playing on the first day as there's no incentive for his fans to stay till the last day. Unless he gets announced for RW I'd say he's a near certainty for the Sunday. Appreciate that Sziget is announcing him today but I'd imagine there's no other dates close to Hungary which is maybe why other festivals located fairly near the stadiums that he's playing can't announce till later.

It will be interesting to see if the aftermovie gives any clues.

Ed Sheeran 2019 is announced and no date in Belgium. He does not play two days in a row in different countries and most of his dates have more than 3 days gap between them. fior example his datrs in Italy are June 14th, 16th and 19th

I think that we can rule him out for Pukkelpop.

Edited by johnybegood

2 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Ed Sheeran 2019 is announced and no date in Belgium. He does not play two days in a row in different countries and most of his dates have more than 3 days gap between them. I think that we can rule him out for Pukkelpop.

Looking at the tour dates I think Pukkelpop has a better chance of getting him than RW (he played the Werchter site this year already) and for me it's too much of a coincidence that the PKP dates have moved to the Sunday for the first time. The stage will already be set up for him on the Sunday and likely to be a smaller set up - so logistically it's not a challenge. Adding to this that Chokri has already said acts have been booked for 2019 already then I'd say he's very, very likely to be at PKP.

We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...