2018 - Your Thoughts

benali

3 hours ago, WM Hall said:

What do you mean here?

Just a bit surprised that he's not confident he can remember all the words to his songs as he did appear at times to be using what I took to be a teleprompter.  I believe both Bruce Springsteen and Matt Berninger use teleprompters, but they have rather more material and covering a larger date range.

We’ve been to every EOTR since 2010 and this might well have been the best since the first time we went (which will always be the best one).

The weather was probably the best act of the weekend. How lucky were we?

There probably weren’t as many must-sees for me this year but overall it was a fantastic, varied line up and I saw some great stuff throughout the weekend. Highlights for me were Jeff Tweedy, Feist, Soccer Mommy, Sweet Baboo, Jonathan Wilson, Jim White, Josh T (I know he’s not too PC at times but I love the way he still laughs at his own jokes), Richard Pearson (that first accapella song was a special moment.

The beer I drank was great and at £4.50 a pint pretty good value. There were plenty of alternatives to overpriced specials! Agree with the praise for the Curry shed’s veggie curries. 

Small complaints -

- I agree with some others that the toilets on the general campsite were not as clean as previous years. In the morning, they were particularly nasty. 

- It felt more crowded again this year, though as others have said that might be due to the sunshine bringing more people out into the open air. The larger numbers have for me taken a bit of the daytime magic away from the Garden Stage where the chatterers are more noticeable. Talking of which, talking at the front where most people just want to listen to the music seems to be the biggest complaint on here - I’d like to see EoTR politely remind people that if they want to talk all the time, stay at the back

- why do so many people just drop their plastic glasses and other rubbish where they were stood. There are bins everywhere!

- charging £10 for WiFi that doesn’t work is a bit cheeky

- and I never get to see the secret sets. Please stop going on about great they were

But these are small gripes. Lovely people everywhere as usual. Suffering a lot this week from post-EoTR blues and worried it can never be as good again.

Edited by Mean Mr Mustard
  • Like 1

My 3rd and best so far. Bless the weather! Minor quibble? So many clashes but that can only reflect the quality on offer right? My top picks, Fat White Family, Shame & IDLES for charismatic proper front men. IDLES actually reduced me to tears but that's a story for another day. The Weather Station, Jeff Tweedy (yes I know I should have been watching St Vinvent)  Flat Worms, The Liminanas  (definitely my find of the weekend) Jim White for his humour and all round good guyness and White Denim for good old fashioned jam noodling.

Major quibble? Having got a pretty decent view in the middle of the tent in anticipation of Hookworms just to have a child hoisted on its parents shoulders directly in front of you as soon as they come on. Having managed the not altogether difficult act of procreation doesn't give you the right to disregard every body outside of your gene pool?

• Like 1

First one for me. Loved every minute of it.

Music was 10/10, as were the food and toilets. Showers too. Lovely site to stroll about. Atmosphere is lovely. Weather was great and the company even better. 

No cons really apart from Sunday night. Ends with a tiny bit of a whimper. I had another couple of hours in me but they were out of booze and a lot of places were shutting down. Could really do without another silent disco to keep me entertained late doors. There was a DJ spinning vinyl in Beavertown but they were sort of closing shop then so I felt like the last turkey in the shop.

Very small complaint though. Was online for early birds at 10.59am on Tuesday which says it all really. Cant wait for next year. 

• Upvote 1

Having gone to plenty of festivals as both non-parent and and now as a parent, amazes me that this still seems to become a big topic of discussion when reviewing a festival, as this thread shows.

If the people with the kids are aware that they can be annoying to others, and the people without are aware that MOST parents are probably doing their best and trying to let both kids enjoy themselves, and still enjoy themselves too, then everyone will get along fine. 

Major quibble? Having a kid go on shoulder in front of you? Chill! 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

No cons really apart from Sunday night. Ends with a tiny bit of a whimper. I had another couple of hours in me but they were out of booze and a lot of places were shutting down. Could really do without another silent disco to keep me entertained late doors. There was a DJ spinning vinyl in Beavertown but they were sort of closing shop then so I felt like the last turkey in the shop.

EOTR has always had very little late night stuff, it has got better, but I've always kinda liked the fact it mellows down to beers and cider around the camp fire rather than a rave fest.  You are right in that Sunday always seems like a wind down, rather than out with a bang.

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

Having gone to plenty of festivals as both non-parent and and now as a parent, amazes me that this still seems to become a big topic of discussion when reviewing a festival, as this thread shows.

If the people with the kids are aware that they can be annoying to others, and the people without are aware that MOST parents are probably doing their best and trying to let both kids enjoy themselves, and still enjoy themselves too, then everyone will get along fine. 

Major quibble? Having a kid go on shoulder in front of you? Chill! 

I don't think it's an issue for anyone on here, to have people with kids at a festival. All anyone is saying is that if you do bring your kids, yes we want them to have as good a time as anyone but i don't think it's a lot to ask for them to not stand if front of you with them on their shoulders, completely blocking someone's view. Stand at the back with them on shoulders perhaps? That way, the kids see and so does everyone else. It's great seeing kids have a good time, dancing, face painting etc but there are others there too without kids and asking parents to try and keep the kids noise down at 7 am, I don't think is too much to ask. 

Perhaps there could be a kids/parents raised section like they do for wheelchair users, so parents and children can have a place to themselves? It's almost the perfect festival but i think with one or two tweeks here and there, it could be absolutely THE perfect festival

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

EOTR has always had very little late night stuff, it has got better, but I've always kinda liked the fact it mellows down to beers and cider around the camp fire rather than a rave fest.  You are right in that Sunday always seems like a wind down, rather than out with a bang.

Oh I hate the rave stuff but a bar ie Beavertown, maybe staying open till 2 or 3 playing tunes like they were. They're almost there with it. 

As for the prices, they're fine. Id rather pay 6 quid for a Neckoil than a fiver for a pint of frothy piss like most other festivals. Tuborg at Glastonbury for example. No thanks. 

Special mention to the Tipi Bar for making killer espresso martinis. Unique stuff at a festival. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GeordieMartin said:

I don't think it's an issue for anyone on here, to have people with kids at a festival. All anyone is saying is that if you do bring your kids, yes we want them to have as good a time as anyone but i don't think it's a lot to ask for them to not stand if front of you with them on their shoulders, completely blocking someone's view. Stand at the back with them on shoulders perhaps? That way, the kids see and so does everyone else. It's great seeing kids have a good time, dancing, face painting etc but there are others there too without kids and asking parents to try and keep the kids noise down at 7 am, I don't think is too much to ask. 

Perhaps there could be a kids/parents raised section like they do for wheelchair users, so parents and children can have a place to themselves? It's almost the perfect festival but i think with one or two tweeks here and there, it could be absolutely THE perfect festival

Not a bad idea to be fair! Agreed, kids and chatters at the back. We stay up by the big EOTR sign so it's an easy marker for them and us and way out of they way...

Was just noting how often it has come up as a 'thing' in the reviews (and does for lots of festivals). I think in the family camping after 7am is pretty much be yourself isn't it? I mean, that's what time kids wake up. If they are loud people they are loud people, I'm sure they weren't intentionally being annoying.

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Oh I hate the rave stuff but a bar ie Beavertown, maybe staying open till 2 or 3 playing tunes like they were. They're almost there with it. 

As for the prices, they're fine. Id rather pay 6 quid for a Neckoil than a fiver for a pint of frothy piss like most other festivals. Tuborg at Glastonbury for example. No thanks. 

Special mention to the Tipi Bar for making killer espresso martinis. Unique stuff at a festival. 

Never made it up that late to know what time it closes. I think the fact it gets dark much earlier than some festivals means I usually have a beer after headliners (which isn't that late) then go to bed! (old).

37 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Loved the Beavertown bar and the Neckoil; shame they had none late on Sunday. Had great fun there until about 0330 on the Sat night with just a playlist going and plenty of grooving around. I seem to get a second wind at these places once the gigs have finished.

3 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

I start getting twitchy once it hits midnight....I couldn't even bring myself to stay up for Warmduscher and I love them.

I was happily able to stay up gone midnight but struggled to concentrate on live performances. I just wanted to go to the disco / forest after a hard day's work watching my fave bands!

19 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm pro kids on shoulders ?

I've not got a problem with anyone on shoulders tbh. Also don't have a problem with youngsters pushing past me to get to the front although I did have a word with a couple in the Teepee tent last weekend when a couple of 40 somethings charged through, stopped in front and started to chat, taking no notice of the band; plenty of surrounding appreciative nods and winks. The front 3rd of a gig is much better when it's rammed.

At Feist, I was near the front, probably 4 or 5 rows back, and the couple next to me asked the people in front if their daughter could go and stand by the barrier to get a better view. Everybody readily agreed and made room for her and she had a great evening; that seemed to sum up the general vibe of the whole festival. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

At Feist, I was near the front, probably 4 or 5 rows back, and the couple next to me asked the people in front if their daughter could go and stand by the barrier to get a better view. Everybody readily agreed and made room for her and she had a great evening; that seemed to sum up the general vibe of the whole festival. 

Brilliant!

• Upvote 1

My 9th EOTR this year and having probably my least good in 2017 (probably the weather), 2018 was back on top form. The only thing I regret nowadays is that it’s impossible to get the thrill that I got from exploring the site and discovering new things in my first few visits but I guess that’s balanced out by feeling I’ve got some kind of “local knowledge” now so I can get to where I need to be pretty quickly!

Highlights....

Ezra Furman- a headline set, even though he wasn’t headlining!

Jeff Tweedy- spellbinding 

Anna Burch- perfect from start to finish

Snapped Ankles- thought I’d walked into a 1970s episode of Dr Who and just couldn’t leave.

Destroyer- their closing 20 mins might just’ve been my highlight of the weekend.

Gruff Rhys- just keeps getting better.

Let downs were few and far between but if I’m being picky.....

Low Anthem- I might get slated for this but I thought they were terrible. Maybe it’d have worked in a small venue but you’re playing a big stage, outdoors at a festival guys! I loved their set on the same stage in 2010 but thought this was painful.

Damien Jurado- I guess he just wasn’t up to it but after the last album, I had him down as a must see. He cancelled when I booked to see him in London last year too so it’s hard not to feel selfishly disappointed.

Sunday night food/drink- not the EOTR organisers’ fault but there were slim pickings to be had and a lot of vendors just didn’t seem to have planned properly. 

No Pizza Tabun- I understand they’re no more but I really missed having their Bedouin Tent as a meeting/refuelling point. Thought the new pizzas were great, just lacking that Tabun ambience.

Film tent- didn’t think the selection was as strong as in recent years but that might just be me.

Beavertown- the beer’s fine but, as others have said, not cheap. I know it’s personal choice etc etc but with their recent sell out to Heineken, I’m not really sure they fit in well with the whole EOTR ethos any more.

Anyway, another great weekend, roll on 2019!

My tenth consecutive visit, already booked for next year!

I’ve done group camping with my mates, family camping with a 6 month old, then the last few years with my wife and toddler in the campervan field which is great.

To the poster above who seems to be without kids, but then camps in family camping and expects them to not make a noise at 7am, you really need a reality check. We occupy our son quietly so that he never disturbs anyone, but you really can’t complain about the kind of entitled pricks with stupidly named children who encourage early hours noise. Frankly you’re on their turf, peace and quiet would be great but not guaranteed, take your chances in General Camping (as per the T&Cs, if we’re being pedantic).

Anyway, I digress. 

Musical highlights: Du Blonde, Josh T Pearson (met him in the Garden on Sun and had a chat/photo), Gruff, Vampire Weekend, Titus Andronicus, Ezra Furman and the kids disco in the woods. Absolute standout was The Wave Pictures, I first got into them playing the Tipi several years ago and for me they never disappoint. I don’t think they were being particularly chippy at all, Dave has a bit of a sardonic wit about him, perhaps that was misconstrued. 

Lowlights: I left St Vincent after 30 mins to see Jeff Tweedy. Absolute snore fest, my friend actually fell asleep standing up leaning against her husband. I ejected back to St Vincent to catch the end of her set, which was pretty impressive, I’m not normally a fan but enjoyed it. I like Feist but I thought she was a pretty low key closer to the main stage, it went down like a bit of a damp squib. I saw her wandering past the Cider Bus on her own about 20 mins after her performance looking a tad non-plussed, as was I. 

Others: generally low w*nker count but a massive amount of dickheads chucking cans in toilets and urinals. Never seen this at EOTR before, don’t know why people need to do it when there are bins everywhere. Big queues for water in the campervan field on Saturday (one standpipe, usually three) was a tad irritating, I wonder if metered on water and trying to save on this? Showers were mostly cold. 

Kids: like it or not it’s a festival that appeals to families. I’ve been many times ‘pre-kid’ so have previously been frustrated by unlit buggies/mass space hogging etc. All I will say is that we stand at the back of the Woods/Garden, buggy bedecked in neon, never go in the Tipi/Big Top because it’s probably a pain for us, our kid, and anyone else around. My boy did love playing his drum on my shoulders with Stealing Sheep’s Suffragette Movement’s procession (another great highlight), thanks to the kind folk who said he made their day, he and I both loved it. 

Food: did my annual pilgrimage to Goan Fish Curry and The Curry Shed, with added bonuses of Pieminister and Le Grande Bouffe, all splendid. 

Drink: I enjoyed a few Beavertowns - yes it is pricey, but a festival treat - but in the main drank copious amounts of Brewdog that we took onsite. I think people forget how lucky we are with EOTR allowing that, the previous weekend I was stood in the rain at Reading drinking watered-down Carlsberg at £5.50 a pop with little other choice. 

Back for more of the same in 2019! 

• Upvote 1

My first one and I had an absolute blast. I keep wanting to do a big positive and negative list, but tbh I was having so much fun that anything that annoyed me (people obnoxiously taking up a lot of space, chairs, posh people, bad bands) was only a passing irritant, and all the music I saw was bloody brilliant.

Strong chance of this becoming a tradition

• Downvote 1

anything that annoyed me (people obnoxiously taking up a lot of space, chairs, working class people, bad bands)

It doesn't read well if I were to put it like that so why is it ok to  do the opposite and generalise so negatively about people who happen to be born into privileged backgrounds?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

anything that annoyed me (people obnoxiously taking up a lot of space, chairs, working class people, bad bands)

It doesn't read well if I were to put it like that so why is it ok to  do the opposite and generalise so negatively about people who happen to be born into privileged backgrounds?

AnD wHaT aBoUt ReVeRsE rAcIsM????

spare me mate