2018 - Your Thoughts

benali

2 hours ago, DrFunke'sFamilyBand said:

I know it’s his whole schtick but Josh T.Pearson’s sexist jokes are pretty tiresome.

£5 for a half pint of limited edition beer at Beavertown was an absolute piss take. Can just about cope with £5 for a cold can of Neck Oil.

Agree about JTP's "jokes" - poor taste and not funny.

Beavertown is over hyped rip off. Excellent beers were available in the Bear Tavern from breweries such as Downton and  Ringwood for £5 pint.

4 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Agree about JTP's "jokes" - poor taste and not funny.

Beavertown is over hyped rip off. Excellent beers were available in the Bear Tavern from breweries such as Downton and  Ringwood for £5 pint.

Hence why I don't get the bother about it? £5.50 for four pure's lager was more of an eye opener for me, and there were cheaper alternatives. You'll pay £5.50 for some awful big brewery stuff at most UK festivals

And the £10 pint was a limited edition special, meant to be drank in halves and perfectly avoidable? You'd think they'd killed someone the way people are talking about it

I’m with Robith all the way here. There was some ridiculous gin place the other year charging something like 9quid for a g&t. Not like there aren’t alternatives or you can’t bring your own stuff in. Hardly exploiting a captive audience are they, not like a large sporting venue where they can gouge you as much as they like and forbid you from bringing in your own stuff. It’s one bar in the whole place

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

I’m with Robith all the way here. There was some ridiculous gin place the other year charging something like 9quid for a g&t. Not like there aren’t alternatives or you can’t bring your own stuff in. Hardly exploiting a captive audience are they, not like a large sporting venue where they can gouge you as much as they like and forbid you from bringing in your own stuff. It’s one bar in the whole place

Or British Summer Time in Hyde Park - one huge corporate money grabbing exercise.

More stuff:

I went to beavertown once. The queue was big so I went somewhere else. 3 bars within a 30 second walk works well for this. Same with the white toilets in the middle where the queue was always big. There were 2 other lots just up or down the path. Certainly did not have a problem with queues.

Kids. That is a whole other thread and I actually am happy if people want to bring their kids, and I don't care if the older ones run around like maniacs. I just don't understand why you would want to bring babies - basically - too young to remember it, and young enough that you are going to miss it all yourself due to dealing with them. Seriously, wait until they are 6+ it is much better. They will appreciate it more and you will have more free time. But hey, it does not bother me, I just don't understand the appeal.

Lots of people seemed to go on Sunday and everywhere felt quieter. Ah well their loss.

Not one for rushing from stage to stage, preferring the hanging out method of festival attending, but on reflection, I did manage to see quite a lot and I likes nearly all of it .....

bas jan: not really in the mood

yo la tengo: much freakier that expected, which is good as far as I'm concerned

daniel blumberg: ok

hiss golden messenger: liked a lot esp. that harmonica at the end

this is the kit: had to duck out, family emergency, back for ....

josh t pearson: liked a lot, even the crap jokes

orielles: yes, the late 80s are finally back, wooo hooo loved it

st. vincent: couldn't get into it so left for .....

jeff tweedy: really cool

insecure men: shades fag synth, twiddle a knob every so often. I want that job. Go on, there are 2 of you. Seriously, I enjoyed them much.

souleyman: acid house flashback mixed with my last holiday to turkey, what's not to like

sunflower bean: only caught 10 mins because wanted to see ......

gruff: yep I like the stuff he is doing now a lot

oh sees: left a bit of my brain there. It was great for me. want to see them again now for a proper length set.

richard dawson: unexpectedly good. Really good.

wave pics: long time listener, first time live, so it was a plus. I don't think the guy was mean to Jurado personally. Maybe reading between the lines he was a bit snide about not being asked the first time or maybe its the way it sounded, I don't care really as like he said, I don't know who Damien Jurado is.

ezra: blimey!

white denim: much groovier than expected

Had a brilliant time this year (second time, after 2016). Missed a few artists I wanted to see due to clashes (Oh Sees, Iceage, Orielles) and so I could be with my mates (Snapped Ankles, Jeff Tweedy), but managed to see a lot of good stuff. 

Highlights:

- Weather. 10/10

- Yo La Tengo. Great way to start the weekend.

- Richard Dawson. As a Newcastle resident I was desperate from him to be deliver and he didn't disappoint.  

- David Thomas Broughton. Also chatted to him in the queue for a vegan sausage roll in the farmer's market and he told me a cracking story about people in Korea putting wasps in their drinks.

- Vampire Weekend (Forgot how many great tunes they had)

- Tirzah

- Hookworms. New tunes thankfully sounded great live.

- Omar Soulyeman (Such good fun)

- Ezra Furman (Tonight, Tonight cover was my moment of the weekend)

- White Denim. Haven't enjoyed the last couple of albums that much but exceptional live show

- Silent disco on Friday/Saturday

- The food, especially the Dosa place, the curry shed and the Pie place.

Slight Disappointments:

- Gruff Rhys. Big SFA fan but didn't quite click for me.

- Big Thief. Did enjoy the set, but was a little flat.

- Boy Azooga. Bit boring for me

- Lack of decent keg beers which weren't really expensive (to be fair this is a very minor quibble and very much personal preference!)

Other:

- Didn't have any problems with the toilets personally. Urinals were a bit tight though- the round ones I've seen at other festivals could be a better choice?

- Someone told me that the Titus Andronicus and Ariel Pink sets were absolute car crashes- did anyone see them?

Hopefully i'll be coming along next year!

Edited by Tomos_

Yes, as I said to the Mrs on Sunday......it’s capitalism.........hardly anything left to buy so they can charge what they like and call it special, even if it isn’t. Thank you to the no shit Sherlock brigade, but I suspect some of the people who go to eotr are aware that they don’t have to buy stuff they think is overpriced......doesn’t stop it being overpriced though

Edited by Fat_Buddha

1 hour ago, Llamasausage said:

Kids. That is a whole other thread and I actually am happy if people want to bring their kids, and I don't care if the older ones run around like maniacs. I just don't understand why you would want to bring babies - basically - too young to remember it, and young enough that you are going to miss it all yourself due to dealing with them. Seriously, wait until they are 6+ it is much better. They will appreciate it more and you will have more free time. But hey, it does not bother me, I just don't understand the appeal.

Generally speaking I am fine with the kids, but I was wondering about parents that were taking a baby into somewhere they require ear  defenders - perhaps they should be thinking about whether that is somewhere you should really be taking a baby. I am talking about specific stages here, not the whole festival.

Edited by IBee

9 minutes ago, scrippit said:

A couple of posters on this thread have implied that Richard Dawson was less than perfect. 

I would like to point out that they are wrong.

That is all.

I thank you.

He was fucking amazing. ‘Ogre’, in particular, was incredibly powerful. Proper visceral, yet transcendent stuff. I may have become a little moist-eyed during that.

Just now, Mardy said:

He was fucking amazing. ‘Ogre’, in particular, was incredibly powerful. Proper visceral, yet transcendent stuff. I may have become a little moist-eyed during that.

I’m not ashamed to say I was in complete bits throughout - starting with the accapella opening. First time I have seen him live - although in the run up to the festival I have been properly exploring his catalogue. Quite unique and worth the extra effort at every turn. 

Searing vocals and extraordinary playing style - nothing has mesmerised me this year quite as much. I cant wait to see him play somewhere small and dark.

We took our soon to be 13yo to the first EOTR and have been back with him and his younger brother many times since. 

They are old enough to appreciate the music now but have always had an amazing time, whatever age.

If it's a choice between going with kids or not going at all then there's only going to be one outcome!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robith said:

Cackling at people moaning about the Beavertown special pricing. You don't have to buy it, and if you want more than a half of a peach and raspberry weisse, you've got more issues than the cost.

Agree. Would be different if Beavertown was the only option, but there were great £4.50 pints of local beer in the Tipi, and a fiver for a half of Sapling (7.1%) is Cambridge prices, let alone Hackney. Good range of specials they dragged down the M3, too.

Best not followed with hot cider, mind ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well that, yet again, was awesome.

Suffering from withdrawal.

All a bit subjective but - 

The great - 

Vampire Weekend - all of it sounded so much better live and the set was so joyous. One of the best festival headline sets I’ve ever seen

Julien Baker - saw her 3 years ago but she’s more powerful now. Sounded stunning on Garden Stage

Tirzah - love the album, didn’t disappoint live

The Weather Station - stellar albums and great to be right at the front for that

Idles - now I know what all the fuss is about

Titus Andronicus - not for everyone but I found it a breath of fresh air, and anyone who has seen power of the full band must know how vulnerable it would be to go solo like that. Also v dry, witty and self - deprecating

The weather, the people (particularly the friendly crowd from London in the leggings we met in disco ship), Tom Ravenscroft set in Disco Ship sat night, the paella, the neon cacti in the gardens

The good - 

A. Wesley Chung - best lunchtime act I’ve seen

Tiny Ruins

Amen Dunes

St Vincent (when just came out to front at the end)

White Denim - at the end we stood off to the left and the scene, as my brother commented, looked like ‘Guitar Hero - English Country Garden Stage’

The not so good - 

Occasional chatters - but not a massive problem this year for me. 

Shower queues - still too long. I’ve got things to do, people to see and table tennis to play in the mornings

Some of the food - dunno, good for festival food but some is well overpriced. Got our cakes from Blandford market, 3 quid for a small brownie takes the piss

More toddlers in crowd this year - I get that families must love this festival, and why should having kids stop you going, but they should not be sat down 20 rows back, in the dark, as crowd is building for a headliner. This goes for Big Top or Woods stage. Nearly trod on a couple of small wrists. 

Missing bands you knew were going to be great but being tired and preferring a wander (Snapped Ankles, This is the Kit)

Thanks Summer, now bring on the Autumn!

17 hours ago, Tomos_ said:

- Someone told me that the Titus Andronicus and Ariel Pink sets were absolute car crashes- did anyone see them?

Someone else has posted a link to full description of the Ariel Pink set. 

TA were ace. Totally passionate it was mostly Titus, but Ron Icus joined him for a few numbers. Supposedly a stripped down acoustic set but he had an electric guitar. Began with a tape of some American broadcaster saying that they were the bees knees, then he does a punk rock Karoke song in the style of Father John Misty but without the irony. Played mostly to an empty field, maybe 100 at the front even the usual burks in lawn chairs who plonk themselves in the main field all day left. At the end Titus shook the hands of the 30 people that loved it. 

The Good

The Weather - Makes such a difference been able to sit down anywhere and also creates a happier vibe.

The Weather Station - Been a fan quite a while and this was the first time seeing them. Thought they were just incredible.

Daniel Blumberg - Dark as f*ck, loved every second

Feist - Thought she was superb, MUCH better than i was expecting

Idles - A good slap in the face and slagging off the tories. Perfect!

Liminanas - Kind of a less messy Brian Jonestown. No talking, just played loud and fast (mostly) and were a real highlight for me

Caroline Spence - Gonna go far, along with Erin Rae. Soothing voices were perfect for the midday early start

Ezra Furman - Always a delight. Love the shyness mixed with the politics and the sheer determination to keep going. Brilliant.

Jeff Tweedy - Not a huge Wilco fan but thought the songs were better solo! Really good.

The Bars -  Have to say, i was buying ale at £4.50 a pint which i thought was terrific value for a festival, so not sure where the £6 a pint etc is coming from, and the food was incredible, especially for us vegans. The south Indian Curry place was another world of greatness, such lovely people and the food was exceptional and also VERY good value. Those Bhajis! But i had great food from the Tibetan place too,  which kindly gave out free food late on Sunday as they didn't want to chuck it (they do it every year, so there's a handy tip for you) vegan junk food too, oh loads!

The Not So Good

Ok, so i camped in the family camping, as i do every year (I've been to every one) and apart from the odd child crying, which i would expect, never had any problems at all. This year was dreadful. A posh family whose children's names were Buster, Ernie, Esra and Roscoe, were up at 6.30/7am EVERY morning literally talking incessantly about ANYTHING! Roscoe, come back ROSCOE COME BACK, COME AND WATCH THE GRASS GROW! Ernie! ERNIE, Look there's a plane, lets make the sound the plane makes! ROSCOE! COME BACK ROSCOE! ROSCOE, LETS PLAY CLINK THE PANS TOGETHER WHILE YOU SHOUT' LET'S MAKE BEANS!' LET'S MAKE BEANS!'  Now, i understand kids make noise but there were loads of other family's there and i didn't hear a squeak from them but I don't blame the kids, i blame their parents who not ONCE asked them to keep it down as people (and other families) were sleeping, not once. In fact, they encouraged them to shout and play. It was quite incredible, not even sure they EVER went to see any music, just camped in a field pissing everyone off. I hope you're reading this because let me tell you, you were hated by everyone around you, even others with kids.

TALKING - Not as bad for me this year, although enough to still get irked at times.

DAMIEN JURADO - Doubt they'll book him again. That's twice, possibly even three times he's pulled out now, no reason given, just, not playing. Other Euro dates are still on his website, so not sure what went on there.

LITTER - A biggie this year. SO much crap just thrown on the ground, beer cans, plastic cups, paper. Just clear your shit up people!

Stewarding - Firstly, they volunteer and massive plaudits for that but whoever is managing them needs to have a look at what they're doing. The one in one out for the big top was sometimes just plain stupid, especially when it was only 3/4 full. I like the idea of stewards being in the tipi/big top and perhaps walkie talkie or usher people forward etc, there was none of that. People sitting down in ALL stages when it was busy needs more stewarding and told to remove their chairs as they take up a LOT of room, especially in the Tipi tent.

See ya next year!

Edited by GeordieMartin

28 minutes ago, GeordieMartin said:

The Good

The Weather - Makes such a difference been able to sit down anywhere and also creates a happier vibe.

The Weather Station - Been a fan quite a while and this was the first time seeing them. Thought they were just incredible.

Daniel Blumberg - Dark as f*ck, loved every second

Feist - Thought she was superb, MUCH better than i was expecting

Idles - A good slap in the face and slagging off the tories. Perfect!

Liminanas - Kind of a less messy Brian Jonestown. No talking, just played loud and fast (mostly) and were a real highlight for me

Caroline Spence - Gonna go far, along with Erin Rae. Soothing voices were perfect for the midday early start

Ezra Furman - Always a delight. Love the shyness mixed with the politics and the sheer determination to keep going. Brilliant.

Jeff Tweedy - Not a huge Wilco fan but thought the songs were better solo! Really good.

The Bars -  Have to say, i was buying ale at £4.50 a pint which i thought was terrific value for a festival, so not sure where the £6 a pint etc is coming from, and the food was incredible, especially for us vegans. The south Indian Curry place was another world of greatness, such lovely people and the food was exceptional and also VERY good value. Those Bhajis! But i had great food from the Tibetan place too,  which kindly gave out free food late on Sunday as they didn't want to chuck it (they do it every year, so there's a handy tip for you) vegan junk food too, oh loads!

The Not So Good

Ok, so i camped in the family camping, as i do every year (I've been to every one) and apart from the odd child crying, which i would expect, never had any problems at all. This year was dreadful. A posh family whose children's names were Buster, Ernie, Esra and Roscoe, were up at 6.30/7am EVERY morning literally talking incessantly about ANYTHING! Roscoe, come back ROSCOE COME BACK, COME AND WATCH THE GRASS GROW! Ernie! ERNIE, Look there's a plane, lets make the sound the plane makes! ROSCOE! COME BACK ROSCOE! ROSCOE, LETS PLAY CLINK THE PANS TOGETHER WHILE YOU SHOUT' LET'S MAKE BEANS!' LET'S MAKE BEANS!'  Now, i understand kids make noise but there were loads of other family's there and i didn't hear a squeak from them but I don't blame the kids, i blame their parents who not ONCE asked them to keep it down as people (and other families) were sleeping, not once. In fact, they encouraged them to shout and play. It was quite incredible, not even sure they EVER went to see any music, just camped in a field pissing everyone off. I hope you're reading this because let me tell you, you were hated by everyone around you, even others with kids.

TALKING - Not as bad for me this year, although enough to still get irked at times.

DAMIEN JURADO - Doubt they'll book him again. That's twice, possibly even three times he's pulled out now, no reason given, just, not playing. Other Euro dates are still on his website, so not sure what went on there.

LITTER - A biggie this year. SO much crap just thrown on the ground, beer cans, plastic cups, paper. Just clear your shit up people!

Stewarding - Firstly, they volunteer and massive plaudits for that but whoever is managing them needs to have a look at what they're doing. The one in one out for the big top was sometimes just plain stupid, especially when it was only 3/4 full. I like the idea of stewards being in the tipi/big top and perhaps walkie talkie or usher people forward etc, there was none of that. People sitting down in ALL stages when it was busy needs more stewarding and told to remove their chairs as they take up a LOT of room, especially in the Tipi tent.

See ya next year!

Damien Jurado cancelled because of physical health issues, he did explain it on his Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnDsR96Hj3X/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet 

I was really looking forward to seeing him but not much he can do if he's not well.

A slightly edited version of something I posted on another forum.

Brief thoughts :

Firstly, best festival of the year for me still. If I could only go to 1 festival a year, EOTR would be the one.

I somehow managed to end up first in the queue for the wrist-band exchange thanks to my expert navigation of the obstacle course of the rope funnel. Can’t believe it will happen again, but it was a good place to be.

Top 5 (alpha order):
Colter Wall
Hiss Golden Messenger
Stella Donnelly
Shame
Vampire Weekend*

*I’m pretty sure Ezra K was using a teleprompter; okay so they’ve only played live just over 10 times since 2014, but only 3 albums worth to remember?! And he certainly gets the award for the most preppie looking person to front a rock band.

Line-up was so ridiculously stacked with goodies that, as someone said to me, you could have gone to the festival and seen a completely different set of acts and still have been just as happy.

Food-wise the Curry Shed was the star performer: £8 for 5 curries and rice that was too much for me to eat on the Thursday evening. £6 for 3 curries and rice was perfectly large enough. And all delicious.

I might also have mentioned elsewhere the Shepherds Tayberry and Lime/Mint sorbets. Part of my everyday diet at both GM and EOTR, and I’d hate for them not to be at both places again next year.

Weather was a real bonus, including (on the Sunday night) the first time that I can remember being happy to stand around outside post-midnight at EOTR in short-sleeves.

Festival seemed a bit more crowded than usual, although I’m not sure it has increased its capacity. Maybe just the effect of the weather.

And re. the weather, as others have mentioned, it got very hot and airless inside the Big Top and Tipi tents at times. A difference between EOTR and other festivals being that the tents at EOTR are not open sided; no doubt this helps with sound bleed, but is a problem with queues for folk getting into the tent and with the atmosphere inside. Maybe a partial unforeseen consequence of global warming, but EOTR would be better with open-sided tents.

While it still has the lowest a***hole % of any of the festivals I know, it did seem to be a little worse this year –the effect of the Glasto fallow year?

Major learning for future festivals: as you grow older and become less able to stand / jump around for hours on end, there is a choice to be made - picnic blanket and/or chair way back from the stage OR get to the barrier. Its definitely the barrier for me.

Early Bird for next year already bought.