Jump to content
Paul ™

Gap Year(s)

Recommended Posts

Hey efesters, 

Some know me here, I used to post a lot more a few years ago and occasionally keep putting my head in here, however I plan to return to G in 2019, so might be around a bit more.

After working the festival from 1992-2005 (missed only a few), I went as a punter for the first time in 2007-2011.

But not been since then, so it will be 8 years gap if am lucky enough for tickets next year. Other festivals got in the way and also got a little bored of it before stopped going (don't shoot me!) 🤔

Anyone else missed a large chunk of Glastonburys, if so how long and why? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Paul,

I've been to a fair few Glastonbury's. I can't remember how many, but it's in the 20's. To my recollection I've missed a few years, but think that going two years without going was my longest. I recall not being able to get a ticket one year (despite being in a computer raining facility, and having about 12 computers on the go - I walked around pressing F5 continuously for about an hour, with no success). The following year I got a ticket, but at the last minute decided not to go, because I was in a bad place mentally speaking. I thought to myself that if I go there and inevitably take drugs, then it would seriously tip me over the edge. Then there was last year when I had a ticket, but still didn't go, because I didn't want to break a vow that I'd made with my wife, not to spend a night apart. 

Note - On the two occasions when I had a ticket but didn't go, those tickets were given to two 'very' lucky people who didn't have tickets. I didn't even sell them to them, just gave them the tickets.

I don't plan on going this year, but would, ideally, like to sneak in for one night only in order to get to the efests meet up. I doubt this will happen though. However, I'd like to be there in 2020 for the anniversary celebrations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After attending 5 Glastoburys up to 2000, I didn't go again until 2008.  There were a few reasons;  they put a big fence around the place, I was off doing other things and I just fell out of the habit.  It felt very different when I returned.  Good but very different.  I suspect the changes between 2011 and 2019 will not be quite as stark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

After attending 5 Glastoburys up to 2000, I didn't go again until 2008.  There were a few reasons;  they put a big fence around the place, I was off doing other things and I just fell out of the habit.  It felt very different when I returned.  Good but very different.  I suspect the changes between 2011 and 2019 will not be quite as stark.

Yeah I worked 1997 and didn't return till 2003 and the differences were huge! 

Am not expecting things to have changed too much as you mention, apart from some odd layout changes such as Arcadia moved etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a challenge!

  • The Dance Village has been revamped into Silver Hayes, replacing most of the venues.  The whole area still doesn't work, despite several failed attempts to stop it feeling like a corridor.
  • New walkway through Silver Hayes into the market area which has made that part of the site less of an interminable walk past market stalls.
  • John Peel moved to its own field, where hospitality camping used to be, and (I think) the old outdoor cinema.  This means The Dance Village/Silver Hayes no longer is no longer a path to JPT, not that it feels much better in there.
  • New area opened next to new JPT field - The Wood, previously closed off nature reserve.  No performances (at least amplified), but some nice chilled out art stuff and a big fire.  
  • Some "craft cider" stalls opened up.  In reality, they're little bars selling a small range of drinks, but they're rarely busy and the drinks they do sell are pretty good.
  • "Cineramageddon"  - a new outdoor cinema in between Paines, Baileys + South Park where you sit in vintage cars.  I think you have to queue or book a ticket or something, I'm not sure, but it's not as simple as turn up, wander about and leave.  So I never went.
  • New, larger Other Stage.
  • Vastly improved PA at the Pyramid.  It's now easily the best soundsystem on site, whereas before you could only ever really claim it was the largest.
  • The Pyramid arena itself is slightly larger.  They removed some camping when The Stones played and never put it back.
  • Cut down version of the Pyramid PA at JPT and W Holts.  The difference is most noticeable at W Holts where it's now easily beefy enough to regularly have dance headliners, which sound amazing if you're in front of the mixing desk.  Unfortunately, you don't have to get far behind the desk for it to sound a bit pants - a lot worse than the old soundsystem.  You might think there is a problem with a band and leave, but you just have to get forward (if you can!)
  • Screens at W Holts
  • Pie Minister has gone! As has The Growler.
  • There are now two towers at the Pyramid, meaning line of sight is much better.
  • A new cafe/bar on the hill above The Park.
  • Lots more food options near William's Green
  • Leftfield is now near Glade/Other
  • The Glade has expanded into a full-on area, with a few new venues, most notably the treehouse bar/venue The Spike with a mirrorball in the trees.
  • The SE corner is always changing, so hard to pin down what's going to be there in 2018, but the alleyways aren't coming back.
  • Many more seats dotted about, particularly up near the Greenpeace field.
  • Fluffy Rock Cafe was just a stall last year rather than an actual cafe, sadly.
  • There is a craft ale bar in the T&C field. 
  • Yeah, Arcadia has moved.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

After attending 5 Glastoburys up to 2000, I didn't go again until 2008.  There were a few reasons;  they put a big fence around the place, I was off doing other things and I just fell out of the habit.  It felt very different when I returned.  Good but very different.  I suspect the changes between 2011 and 2019 will not be quite as stark.

I'd agree with that.  2009 was my first one, and I'm struggling to think of any really significant changes since then. I think the introduction of urinals and ditching of portaloos, new areas in The Wood and Cinerarmageddon (if they do it again), ditching The Queens Head, some changes to Silver Hayes, and the overhaul of SE corner are the main ones.

Can't remember if the controlled entry to SE was in place in 2009, sure someone else can call it.  The changes there are probably the closest I'd come to a real change in the "feel" of the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I attended my first in 92 and returned in 93

didnt return after that until 2011

as you can imagine it was going to the festival for the 1st time with how much it had changed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I like a challenge!

  • The Dance Village has been revamped into Silver Hayes, replacing most of the venues.  The whole area still doesn't work, despite several failed attempts to stop it feeling like a corridor.
  • New walkway through Silver Hayes into the market area which has made that part of the site less of an interminable walk past market stalls.
  • John Peel moved to its own field, where hospitality camping used to be, and (I think) the old outdoor cinema.  This means The Dance Village/Silver Hayes no longer is no longer a path to JPT, not that it feels much better in there.
  • New area opened next to new JPT field - The Wood, previously closed off nature reserve.  No performances (at least amplified), but some nice chilled out art stuff and a big fire.  
  • Some "craft cider" stalls opened up.  In reality, they're little bars selling a small range of drinks, but they're rarely busy and the drinks they do sell are pretty good.
  • "Cineramageddon"  - a new outdoor cinema in between Paines, Baileys + South Park where you sit in vintage cars.  I think you have to queue or book a ticket or something, I'm not sure, but it's not as simple as turn up, wander about and leave.  So I never went.
  • New, larger Other Stage.
  • Vastly improved PA at the Pyramid.  It's now easily the best soundsystem on site, whereas before you could only ever really claim it was the largest.
  • The Pyramid arena itself is slightly larger.  They removed some camping when The Stones played and never put it back.
  • Cut down version of the Pyramid PA at JPT and W Holts.  The difference is most noticeable at W Holts where it's now easily beefy enough to regularly have dance headliners, which sound amazing if you're in front of the mixing desk.  Unfortunately, you don't have to get far behind the desk for it to sound a bit pants - a lot worse than the old soundsystem.  You might think there is a problem with a band and leave, but you just have to get forward (if you can!)
  • Screens at W Holts
  • Pie Minister has gone! As has The Growler.
  • There are now two towers at the Pyramid, meaning line of sight is much better.
  • A new cafe/bar on the hill above The Park.
  • Lots more food options near William's Green
  • Leftfield is now near Glade/Other
  • The Glade has expanded into a full-on area, with a few new venues, most notably the treehouse bar/venue The Spike with a mirrorball in the trees.
  • The SE corner is always changing, so hard to pin down what's going to be there in 2018, but the alleyways aren't coming back.
  • Many more seats dotted about, particularly up near the Greenpeace field.
  • Fluffy Rock Cafe was just a stall last year rather than an actual cafe, sadly.
  • There is a craft ale bar in the T&C field. 
  • Yeah, Arcadia has moved.

Not bad!🙂

Can only add Strummerville moving to that lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things I can add ..... a new viewing platform over by the gate nearest Theatre and Circus field and the renaming several times of the cocktail and dreams tent now the beat hotel ....which has also moved a few metres over the last few years .... the reduction of nos canisters last year seemed obvious to me and also over the last ten years campfires seem to have reduced significantly (I dont know if they still provide the firewood free like they used too ) also flare candles dont exist in the arenas anymore and the haze that sat over the site doesn't seem to be there ... and the sellers of 3 for £5 cans dont seem to happen as much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Couple of things I can add ..... a new viewing platform over by the gate nearest Theatre and Circus field and the renaming several times of the cocktail and dreams tent now the beat hotel ....which has also moved a few metres over the last few years .... the reduction of nos canisters last year seemed obvious to me and also over the last ten years campfires seem to have reduced significantly (I dont know if they still provide the firewood free like they used too ) also flare candles dont exist in the arenas anymore and the haze that sat over the site doesn't seem to be there ... and the sellers of 3 for £5 cans dont seem to happen as much 

The Beat Hotel was introduce in 2011.  I checked ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The Beat Hotel was introduce in 2011.  I checked ;)

:) it changed from guardian lounge to cocktails and dreams and then beat hotel I think ? Im rubbish with years :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I like a challenge!

  • The Dance Village has been revamped into Silver Hayes, replacing most of the venues.  The whole area still doesn't work, despite several failed attempts to stop it feeling like a corridor.
  • New walkway through Silver Hayes into the market area which has made that part of the site less of an interminable walk past market stalls.
  • John Peel moved to its own field, where hospitality camping used to be, and (I think) the old outdoor cinema.  This means The Dance Village/Silver Hayes no longer is no longer a path to JPT, not that it feels much better in there.
  • New area opened next to new JPT field - The Wood, previously closed off nature reserve.  No performances (at least amplified), but some nice chilled out art stuff and a big fire.  
  • Some "craft cider" stalls opened up.  In reality, they're little bars selling a small range of drinks, but they're rarely busy and the drinks they do sell are pretty good.
  • "Cineramageddon"  - a new outdoor cinema in between Paines, Baileys + South Park where you sit in vintage cars.  I think you have to queue or book a ticket or something, I'm not sure, but it's not as simple as turn up, wander about and leave.  So I never went.
  • New, larger Other Stage.
  • Vastly improved PA at the Pyramid.  It's now easily the best soundsystem on site, whereas before you could only ever really claim it was the largest.
  • The Pyramid arena itself is slightly larger.  They removed some camping when The Stones played and never put it back.
  • Cut down version of the Pyramid PA at JPT and W Holts.  The difference is most noticeable at W Holts where it's now easily beefy enough to regularly have dance headliners, which sound amazing if you're in front of the mixing desk.  Unfortunately, you don't have to get far behind the desk for it to sound a bit pants - a lot worse than the old soundsystem.  You might think there is a problem with a band and leave, but you just have to get forward (if you can!)
  • Screens at W Holts
  • Pie Minister has gone! As has The Growler.
  • There are now two towers at the Pyramid, meaning line of sight is much better.
  • A new cafe/bar on the hill above The Park.
  • Lots more food options near William's Green
  • Leftfield is now near Glade/Other
  • The Glade has expanded into a full-on area, with a few new venues, most notably the treehouse bar/venue The Spike with a mirrorball in the trees.
  • The SE corner is always changing, so hard to pin down what's going to be there in 2018, but the alleyways aren't coming back.
  • Many more seats dotted about, particularly up near the Greenpeace field.
  • Fluffy Rock Cafe was just a stall last year rather than an actual cafe, sadly.
  • There is a craft ale bar in the T&C field. 
  • Yeah, Arcadia has moved.

I think I'm right in saying that the Joe Bananas stall is no longer too, but maybe I'm wrong on that one. I go around Glastonbury (when I do go!) in a haze, so could never have come up with the list that you have - hence the upvote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell @stuartbert two hats that's some mighty fine recall.  There have actually been more changes since '09 than I remembered!  But I guess you can take that as a good sign; none of them have fundamentally changed how I find the place :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bloody hell @stuartbert two hats that's some mighty fine recall.  There have actually been more changes since '09 than I remembered!  But I guess you can take that as a good sign; none of them have fundamentally changed how I find the place :)

There have been more changes than that!   I was doing from 2011.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another significant change is that the efestival's meet is now held at the Ridge and Furrow Bar in the Cabaret field and not at the Cider Bus as it used to be (it got crazy busy there on Wednesday evening as more and more people started to come for the full 5 days!). The new venue is perfect for us...we've had some cracking meet ups there over the last few years! :D

 

EDIT: You can't miss it - Neil will be there with his pink flag!! 😉

Edited by Pear_Cider
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been to many many Glastonburys, Unsure of years or decade.

I've seen many many bands, couldn't say what years or decade they played.

I've missed many many Glastonburys, Don't know why.

I've missed many many bands, But watched on tv in a jealous rage.

All I can remember changing was my pants (maybe).

What is always the same (absoulutely guaranteed) is how utterly 'spangled'  I seem to get.

Do you think getting 'spangled' interferes with recollection of ones personal history?

No, me neither.🤣

Edited by mashedonmud
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I like a challenge!

Bloody spoilers :P

5 hours ago, Quark said:

Can't remember if the controlled entry to SE was in place in 2009, sure someone else can call it.

Yes it was.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah, Joe Bananas went donkeys years ago.

Sadly yes, and Lenny isn't too well just now (guy who ran it)

1 hour ago, Pear_Cider said:

Another significant change is that the efestival's meet is now held at the Ridge and Furrow Bar in the Cabaret field and not at the Cider Bus as it used to be (it got crazy busy there on Wednesday evening as more and more people started to come for the full 5 days!). The new venue is perfect for us...we've had some cracking meet ups there over the last few years! :D

 

EDIT: You can't miss it - Neil will be there with his pink flag!! 😉

I'll try make an appearance, made all of them the years I went as a punter at the Cider Bus ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pear_Cider said:

Another significant change is that the efestival's meet is now held at the Ridge and Furrow Bar in the Cabaret field and not at the Cider Bus as it used to be (it got crazy busy there on Wednesday evening as more and more people started to come for the full 5 days!). The new venue is perfect for us...we've had some cracking meet ups there over the last few years! :D

 

EDIT: You can't miss it - Neil will be there with his pink flag!! 😉

Along with lots of people lurking at the edge trying to work out who the f@@K is who.. that they have been randomly talking to about who places where on what stage over the past 2 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pear_Cider said:

Another significant change is that the efestival's meet is now held at the Ridge and Furrow Bar in the Cabaret field and not at the Cider Bus as it used to be (it got crazy busy there on Wednesday evening as more and more people started to come for the full 5 days!). The new venue is perfect for us...we've had some cracking meet ups there over the last few years! :D

 

EDIT: You can't miss it - Neil will be there with his pink flag!! 😉

And his I love JC Tshirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

And his I love JC Tshirt. 

Never to be seen again, I've been sleeping in it since. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Never to be seen again, I've been sleeping in it since. :D

I have absolute faith in you to gift him something equally fetching for next year. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Along with lots of people lurking at the edge trying to work out who the f@@K is who.. that they have been randomly talking to about who places where on what stage over the past 2 years 

@deebeedoobee's name stickers definitely helped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumour has it the toilet doors don't clang as loudly nowadays, although this is a fairly recent thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×