Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

Anybody else get randomly searched in the campsites by security and had gear taken off of them? Never seen that before at a festival...

that's fairly standard at any fest by security who want to top up their wages with what they seize. ;) 

Generally they target the youngsters with that one as they're more likely not to question it.

Edited by eFestivals

Fuck me

I havent been to Boomtown in 5 years and this was definetely my favourite. Its grown and matured into the maddest festival thats ever existed. I think it might even beat Glastonbury.

Spent most of my time Uptown, doing the story and wandering into unknown bands and DJs. I have a new found love of folk, gypsy and balkan music. Elephant Sessions, Gogol Bordello, Prophets of Rage, Eats Everything breaks set, DJ Yoda, Ngaio, Emily Dust, Soca in the Paradisio Hotel, afternoon Psytrance in the Psyforest...everyone I saw in the Peoples Front Room.. just too many good acts to mention.

I was terrified the festival would be overrun by teenage roadmen, and yeah downtown was full of them, but it was so easy to avoid them. Glad Im not so much into DnB than I used to be so I didnt have to deal with the dickheads. My only complaint is that every single popup street party was playing DnB.

Also loved volunteering. Free showers, decent staff canteen with reasonable prices, quiet campsites, great neighbours and free hot water/tea! I couldnt go as a normal punter ever again.

• Upvote 3

Oh and I forgot:

My main complaint about Boomtowns 2013/2014 and the reason why I havent been for so long was the abysmal sound restrictions, but this year.. oh my god did it bang. The sound design at the biggest stages was absolutely spot on. You can really tell they care about the sound quality. I pray they didnt get any complaints and the same volumes can be kept for next year!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's cos you had VOID rigs lololol

One thing that did annoy me was in copper County where there was 5 rigs all competing for your ears and only making a fucking nightmare noise.. 

But Yea the sound VOID or not was good.. 

I'm still in agony trying to decide what to do next year.. Think we'll let kids go and look after baby Eliza... Lol

16 hours ago, EamerRed said:

Anybody else get randomly searched in the campsites by security and had gear taken off of them? Never seen that before at a festival...

that sounds very dodgy to me. 

Were they legit security? can't believe they were acting within the remit given to them by the festival.

24 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

It was all much more involved in the story world https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZKLvOPKBNnAmsS-0BN7iN4pOOG8JBx-B/view

Yeah could have been longer, but basically we've been saved from destruction

Cheers @Sku - I'll have a watch later. So AMI turned bad? Gutted, I missed this year now, had Boomtown envy despite the weather all weekend

9 hours ago, doobie ninja said:

Are festival securuity allowed to randomly search you and your bag once inside the festival?

yep. Essentially, you agree to allow security to do what they want as part of the entry T&Cs.

Security searching someone for drugs is a part of their role. Security searching someone for drugs because they want to steal the drugs instead of handing them over for destruction is where the problems are.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep. Essentially, you agree to allow security to do what they want as part of the entry T&Cs.

Security searching someone for drugs is a part of their role. Security searching someone for drugs because they want to steal the drugs instead of handing them over for destruction is where the problems are.

I've no idea how wide spread this sort of thing is at boomtown, but it does make me not want to give it another go....

If only I could see those lineups somewhere else, without all that BS

Had a great weekend all in all;

The Good:

Sound was excellent, thought the new stages looked incredible, had a fantastic time tagging along to a friend of a friends group so it was lovely to bimble with them rather than worry about where I wanted to go. Groove Armada into Streets were particularly fantastic with a lot of other great stuff on the lineup. I don't doubt that there may have been some dodgy security on site but I they few times I had to interact with them they seemed fine, approachable and on the ball, prioritising sufficiently.

The Bad:

It felt to me like a lot of the smaller venues, and to some extent the maze have become a victim of their own success. A lot of queues that I had no interest in joining and places like the Post Office and Job Centre seem to have outgrown themselves and lost a bit of charm.

The Ugly:

My hangovers and feet. I don't remember suffering so much at any other festival I've been to however mainly self inflicted/what I signed up for.

I'm unlikely to be able to go next year with other things on the same time of the year but had a great time and would still love to return in a couple of years.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

My hangovers and feet. I don't remember suffering so much at any other festival I've been to however mainly self inflicted/what I signed up for.

This made me lol - it's still a proper assault on the body, but nobody here was unaware!

I really want to hear what the boardmasters refugees thought. Bumped into one tonight who'd missed the last tickets and she was fuming

I'm hoping a lot of the extra capacity they've been granted goes on staff to better handle the venues that are ending up with queues

Edited by frostypaw

9 hours ago, frostypaw said:

This made me lol - it's still a proper assault on the body, but nobody here was unaware!

I really want to hear what the boardmasters refugees thought. Bumped into one tonight who'd missed the last tickets and she was fuming

I'm hoping a lot of the extra capacity they've been granted goes on staff to better handle the venues that are ending up with queues

Did Boom sell out in the end then? 

If so the weather worked out really well for them in the end, shifting the last few tickets (which I believe is where more of the profit is)

Yeah even more capacity will be a lot more noticeable during the day when bimbling I think.

18 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

The Ugly:

My hangovers and feet. I don't remember suffering so much at any other festival I've b

I felt fine this year with hangovers and tiredness compared to the last 10 years of festivals I've been going to.

The only thing I can put it down to is going vegan. They say it makes you recover quicker. And the food there was amazing. Between 3 of us we had Poutine, African stew w/ fried plantain, Katsu curry burger, falafal & houmous in pita, Tibetan curry, giant sushi maki roll, mac n cheese, pie n mash, asian noodles, some super healthy tofu burger w/ mixed grains & watercress.