Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, Neon said:

I would say there was no reason not to. Myself I plan to stay in a hotel in Winchester and move in as required .

Can I suggest booking a room at the Holiday Inn, which is a 10-15min walk from site. I stayed there the year before last, as was going with my very young son, and it was excellent. You can also take advantage of the all you can eat buffet breakfast too!

24 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Are first wave tickets a bun fight? Glastonbury style?

I got my ticket in Jan for 2018's Boomtown. I am planning on getting one tonight.

The first tier will go in 5-10 mins usually. Second tier will also probably go tonight too.

Usually the others remain for a while, but people seem pretty on it this year from what i have seen, as so many people missed out on Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Traher said:

If it is the same as this year, the GA wrist band only gets you off site, and then back in a certain number of times (I think it is twice) and you are scanned in and out. So you wouldn't be able to stay off site and travel in every day.

Pretty sure this is untrue, you can leave and return as you wish.

1 hour ago, joser1974 said:

I’m debating whether to go for Wednesday or Thursday tickets. Is there much happening on Wednesday or is it best to just turn up on Thursday. Got extra expenses if i go on Wednesday so would be good to know wether it’s worth it 

I volunteered last year so was there from the Tuesday. They only open half the campsites, so if you want to camp somewhere else (e.g. the very popular sector 6) you have to move your tent in the morning. Last year they had three sound systems open on the Wednesday, but in general there were a lot of people walking about confused about where they could or couldn't go, and they didnt seem too impressed when the music went off at midnight. However, for £20 maybe it's worth it.... they only do it to split the queue up a bit I think. I am going for Thursday entry though. 

1 hour ago, mr flow said:

Can I suggest booking a room at the Holiday Inn, which is a 10-15min walk from site. I stayed there the year before last, as was going with my very young son, and it was excellent. You can also take advantage of the all you can eat buffet breakfast too!

Thanks for the advice but may be a bit too much for me. I can get a half decent hotel in Winchester for half the price and hope to bus some ,cadge some and taxi some and walk South Downs Way some !?!  I would splash it but I have someone who is of a different opinion.

xx

1 hour ago, Traher said:

If it is the same as this year, the GA wrist band only gets you off site, and then back in a certain number of times (I think it is twice) and you are scanned in and out. So you wouldn't be able to stay off site and travel in every day.

I've gone on and off site more than twice previously, and was never an issue. I don't think there's a limit.

The only issue in the past with being off site is the curfew they run on the gates. 

You can leave the site at ANY time but you can only enter between certain times. Previously I think the gates opened during the festival 10am to 11.30pm (happy to be corrected on times)  

You can only bring alcohol in officially the first time you enter the site, not on re entry. 

The campervans are INSIDE the security fence. So only deal with security on first arrival. Not like Glastonbury were you enter each day. 

8 minutes ago, manateemike said:

The only issue in the past with being off site is the curfew they run on the gates. 

You can leave the site at ANY time but you can only enter between certain times. Previously I think the gates opened during the festival 10am to 11.30pm (happy to be corrected on times)  

You can only bring alcohol in officially the first time you enter the site, not on re entry. 

The campervans are INSIDE the security fence. So only deal with security on first arrival. Not like Glastonbury were you enter each day. 

Oh really? I didnt know that. Is the alcohol thing enforced? 

35 minutes ago, manateemike said:

Depends how kindly you ask the security, most of the big gates are manned 24/7 and they all have the scanners to scan your QR code in and out. Not worth the risk to be honest as security can be a bit touchy about these things.

As a heads up...

For the last couple of years at least, the website doesn't actually go down, or come up with error messages, or holding pages during ticket sales, unlike Glasto etc. 

Therefore, it's literally a case of fastest finger first, and tier 1 went in less than a few seconds last year. It really is a case of completing the form as fast as you possibly can.

Good luck in the race.

Edited by Sku
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

Apparently the tier 1 coaches take longer to go than tier 1? 

Not sure, as it's a new ticket structure this year. I originally wrote that advice, and it's spread around a bit.

I conducted a Facebook poll on a Boomtown related Facebook group recently about what ticket type people were going to try and get.
-111 responded they were aiming for standard tier 1
-7 responded they are aiming for public transport tier 1

So it seem's to me logical to me that their will be much less demand for public transport tier 1. But it is possible the allocations are linked together, and both will sell out at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dizzydonk said:

Has anyone stayed off-site in a  campervan? Will be travelling over from Dublin and really want to go on the Wednesday to get the most out of it but the campervan fields arent open until Thursday :( Was thinking of booking into a campsite near the festival but dont know am I mad to consider this

Not mad at all, in fact completely barking to pay fees if you've got your own van/caravan. Have you considered "Wild Camping". There are a few spots around Hampshire and if you don't know the area, I'm guessing you don't, there is a web site of the same name. Proven most helpful for some of my travels.

43 minutes ago, Sku said:

As a heads up...

For the last couple of years at least, the website doesn't actually go down, or come up with error messages, or holding pages during ticket sales, unlike Glasto etc. 

Therefore, it's literally a case of fastest finger first, and tier 1 went in less than a few seconds last year. It really is a case of completing the form as fast as you possibly can.

Good luck in the race.

Oh, I just thought.....if the system doesn't go down etc, does that mean if three of us are trying for three tickets, we might end up getting nine tickets????? Does it actually not make sense to have multiple people trying? Maybe we should just all try and get our own?

Edited by Sasperella

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Oh, I just thought.....if the system doesn't go down etc, does that mean if three of us are trying for three tickets, we might end up getting nine tickets????? Does it actually not make sense to have multiple people trying? Maybe we should just all try and get our own?

You could all try.

Once the tickets are in your basket, you have 15 minutes to pay. If all 3 of you try, you can then confer in the 15 minute window about who is buying them, based on who got the best tier.

1 minute ago, Sku said:

You could all try.

Once the tickets are in your basket, you have 15 minutes to pay. If all 3 of you try, you can then confer in the 15 minute window about who is buying them, based on who got the best tier.

Ah-ha! cool! A nice 15 minute chill period....I'm not used to this kind of service :D