Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

I don't think that many would want to go to another festival at this point as they have lost money on transport/hotels and have now got to wait for their refunds to be processed before they have cash for another fest, also would they really want to commit to another fest which will also have shit weather. If they were both run by the same company I could see it happening for free/discounted rate.

2 minutes ago, jump said:

would they really want to commit to another fest which will also have shit weather

this!

I reckon a hell of a lot of them will be quite glad it's been cancelled really, the weather wasn't looking like fun. 

I don't think there'll be too many who'll be looking to find somewhere else.

Really?

If I had taken time off work, bought all my booze, drugs, camping gear etc etc, got it all ready, got all excited and then this happened, I would definitely be up for driving across the coast to an alternative if they were offering a cheap ticket to still go to a festival for the weekend. And lets face it, its a better festival anyway.

It would be a lot better than simply shrugging your shoulders and staying at home all weekend!

1 hour ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Really?

If I had taken time off work, bought all my booze, drugs, camping gear etc etc, got it all ready, got all excited and then this happened, I would definitely be up for driving across the coast to an alternative if they were offering a cheap ticket to still go to a festival for the weekend. And lets face it, its a better festival anyway.

It would be a lot better than simply shrugging your shoulders and staying at home all weekend!

I can't disagree with @jimbarkanoodle on this occasion!

There's no way I'd be going home to unpack and cry.

29 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

One of my friends, woke up saw the cancellation and headed straight to the Boomtown site to get a ticket. Bags are all packed and ready to go, and it’s 3 hours closer to home. Deal with the financial fall out later 

That's the way to do it!

When you use the app it says that 42300 people are currently using the app as well. Based on that, and the fact that the capacity is 60000, it's going to be at least 75% full as you're not really going to download the app unless you're going. It probably means the final capacity is a lot higher than that as I know quite a few people who are attending and haven't got the app.

6 minutes ago, Macca3031 said:

Back in May they said 90% of tickets are sold, obviously that could be a sales tactic but reckon it'll be close to capacity, especially as they have gone for an increase next year.

Oh i agree. I think it'll be more or less full. Just trying to gather some info as people had been concerned it was going to be quiet this year.

12 minutes ago, Macca3031 said:

Back in May they said 90% of tickets are sold, obviously that could be a sales tactic but reckon it'll be close to capacity, especially as they have gone for an increase next year.

I reckon it's a bit shorter than that. They recently used an external PR to try and big it up, but which only got sent to media outlets not on the normal boomtown press list.

I'm guessing that the attempt to publicise it in new directions was because the numbers were falling short from the normal directions.

PS: That's not saying it'll only be half full tho - after all, all of the profit is in the final tickets before sell-out. So it makes sense to try and sell as many as you can however close it is to selling out.

Edited by eFestivals

32 minutes ago, mr flow said:

When you use the app it says that 42300 people are currently using the app as well. Based on that, and the fact that the capacity is 60000, it's going to be at least 75% full as you're not really going to download the app unless you're going. It probably means the final capacity is a lot higher than that as I know quite a few people who are attending and haven't got the app.

That's also only people that have downloaded the app. I bet there are an abundance of people that go to boomtown that aren't smartphone users. 

13 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Thursday yes, then there's the rather excellent Talisk on at Old Town Square at 8

The facebookers are having their meet at 6.30 there too so will be getting pretty busy, but they usually take over the seating area on OT side

Perfect! Haven't checked out Tailsk, will give them a listen. 

My train journey has got off to a poor start....the shop's card machine is broken and I don't have enough change for a drink. Damnit. Cider consumption looks like it's been postponed until tomorrow!

1 hour ago, mr flow said:

I ain't downloading the app, the bloody things annoy me.

Just checked the weather sites and most showing rain late Thursday night through to about lunchtime on Friday when the wind picks up. The radar on the BBC site shows some heavy rain passing straight over the site late morning/early afternoon on Friday and then a few showers kicking about close by but not hitting Winchester. So Most of the rain in one go and then some nice wind to dry the place right up again. Walking shoes will be ok right? No wellies?

56 minutes ago, Traher666 said:

I assume there's no signal for anyone there to update, been told three stages are being cancelled today, not sure which ones though.

Latest news is that Relic closed til Sunday.  All other stages open atm. Suns out. Strong gusty wind which is less onsite than it is in the campervan field