Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

10 hours ago, Wellyboot said:

I do have an efests tshirt I could wear but not sure how noticeable that would be for people tho if its busy!

I could wave it around haha!

Bring it! We’ll wave it!! 

9 hours ago, Sasperella said:

A-ha, you were outside! We only looked inside. So close yet so far. 

But this time I have inside info because I know what @lucyginger actually looks like and thus don't have to accost random girls with ginger hair who assume I'm trying to buy acid when I ask for Lucy 

Haha I love this story so much!!!! Yes will be easier this year with more of us having met in real life!!! 

7 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

So the forecast is still looking a little ropey.

Maybe a little ropey but i'm convinced it's improving. 

The chance of any heavy rain looks very slim at this point. 

Temps in the early 20s, plenty of cloud cover, odd light shower....I'm not ruling our perfect festival weather. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

So the forecast is still looking a little ropey.

Friday evening into night, heavy rain is predicted. But, they are only 3% sure of this, according to Metcheck.

Its going to go right to the wire. No matter how bad it gets though you wont be catching me in sodding wellies!

Yeh, it's not bad. A 3% chance of anything isn't worth worrying about. My phone is saying NO rain Friday and Sunday, and a couple of light/passing showers the rest of the time. 

Tbh though, I didn't really mind last year's weather (even if I did lose a almost brand new phone in Friday morning's deluge). I'd last been to Matterley Bowl for Glade in 2009, and that was proper, proper shit. I think mentally comparing it to that in my head made everything seem fine. It's the constant rain that's the problem IMO. 

It was fookin' freezing of an evening last year though!!

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh, it's not bad. A 3% chance of anything isn't worth worrying about. My phone is saying NO rain Friday and Sunday, and a couple of light/passing showers the rest of the time. 

Tbh though, I didn't really mind last year's weather (even if I did lose a almost brand new phone in Friday morning's deluge). I'd last been to Matterley Bowl for Glade in 2009, and that was proper, proper shit. I think mentally comparing it to that in my head made everything seem fine. It's the constant rain that's the problem IMO. 

It was fookin' freezing of an evening last year though!!

I was at that Glade too. To this day, it remains my favourite ever festival, due to the sheer mental amount of incredible underground music on offer, quite a lot of which I had never heard before, still being quite young at the time. Also, how loud was it?! Arcadia afterburner on until 6am and loud as you like. The Winchester residents were not so moany back then, although saying that, Glade never returned there..

Anyway, I don't remember it being that wet and muddy? it was definitely quite rainy and chilly, but im sure it never turned proper muddy?

29 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I was at that Glade too. To this day, it remains my favourite ever festival, due to the sheer mental amount of incredible underground music on offer, quite a lot of which I had never heard before, still being quite young at the time. Also, how loud was it?! Arcadia afterburner on until 6am and loud as you like. The Winchester residents were not so moany back then, although saying that, Glade never returned there..

Anyway, I don't remember it being that wet and muddy? it was definitely quite rainy and chilly, but im sure it never turned proper muddy?

Yes, definitely not disputing the quality of the tunes! So loud, Arcadia was amazing. Good, grimey times all round ? Maybe that weekend was what pissed the locals off though, ha!

As for the mud, it wasn't a patch on Glasto 2016, sure....I was more thinking about the constant rain. I know this has been discussed many, many times on this forum, but I would totally take a lot of mud and relatively dry, over constant rain. When everything gets wet and you can't get dry it's grim.

In 2009, a couple of my mates were still reeling from the trench foot they had acquired at Glade in 2008 (or 2007? The year the cars all flooded), and were going barefoot. I remember them squelching about in the mud, so it was definitely there a bit! Wouldn't wanna be sitting down in it....

Sorry for more questions. But as a 1st timer I've no idea on the size of the site.

Can anyone help me with roughly how long it would take to walk from the West Gate to Lions Den camping vs West Gate to Paradise Heights camping?

I've heard LD fills up fast. Is there any point in trying to find a spot there on the Wednesday?

Would it be easier just to head to paradise Heights? 

23 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yes, definitely not disputing the quality of the tunes! So loud, Arcadia was amazing. Good, grimey times all round ? Maybe that weekend was what pissed the locals off though, ha!

As for the mud, it wasn't a patch on Glasto 2016, sure....I was more thinking about the constant rain. I know this has been discussed many, many times on this forum, but I would totally take a lot of mud and relatively dry, over constant rain. When everything gets wet and you can't get dry it's grim.

In 2009, a couple of my mates were still reeling from the trench foot they had acquired at Glade in 2008 (or 2007? The year the cars all flooded), and were going barefoot. I remember them squelching about in the mud, so it was definitely there a bit! Wouldn't wanna be sitting down in it....

I think it must have been a catalyst for the punitive and insanely annoying sound restrictions now on the site. We had it good at that Glade, you will never be dancing outside to very loud music until 6am at that site again, which is sad.  

I remember a fair few people in bare feet. I just thought that's what the hippy Glade crowd did lol.

Personally, as long as it doesn't turn muddy, im happy. A few showers is fine. You cant sit in mud, but you can sit on wet grass if you put down a binbag, jacket or whatever.

For meet up purposes I have an efests/boomtown/piratey/old towny flag I made a few years ago... a tiny number of old solo campers may recognise it

mGSoPQr.jpg

We just need a stickystick. Can be donated to anyone who thinks they'll get good use out of it too 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

It's the constant rain that's the problem IMO. 

This!

It's persistent heavy rain that can really ruin a festival. Currently looking like zero chance of that happening. 

In fact, the GFS 06Z is in and it's yet another improvement :)

11 minutes ago, Henrik said:

This!

It's persistent heavy rain that can really ruin a festival. Currently looking like zero chance of that happening. 

In fact, the GFS 06Z is in and it's yet another improvement :)

Friday, which I mentioned had a potential forecast of heavy rain, has now changed to sunshine and zero rain. Which is good!

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

One week to go, Fuzz!!! We'll all be merrily on our way by now ?

Yes!!

Planning on getting there Thursday at about 11am ish depending on traffic. (leaving at 5am from just north of Manchester). Hoping for an incident free arrival.

Really looking forward to it. After Glastonbury it took me a little while get excited, but I am buzzing now!

1 hour ago, frostypaw said:

For meet up purposes I have an efests/boomtown/piratey/old towny flag I made a few years ago... a tiny number of old solo campers may recognise it

mGSoPQr.jpg

We just need a stickystick. Can be donated to anyone who thinks they'll get good use out of it too 

That would be brilliant if you could fetch that!!! I'll fetch / wear my efests t shirt too!! :)

2 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

it is my first time at boomtown as I am working there. Could someone point me in the direction of the best techno to be found? Had a quick look thru the lineup and jotted down a couple of things but it's a lot to get yer head around 

Area 404. Sunday is Drumcode. Enrico Sanguiliano and Amelie lens. That should be what you are looking it.

If you want it a bit harder, try Ben Fraser