Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

3 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

It's not the greatest app but nice to see times this far in advance.

Gentleman's Dub Club after the opening party at the Lions Den will be a great way to start the (main) weekend off!

Same app they use at All Points East festival too. It's not great, but it's good to use as a planning tool.

I  wanted to go and see Brass Against first thing on the Friday, but now not sure what to do as love Gentleman's Dub Club.

5 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Same app they use at All Points East festival too. It's not great, but it's good to use as a planning tool.

To be honest it does what it needs to do. I can be a bit of nerd when it comes to interfaces so I was probably being a bit harsh.

The 'Discover shows' bit for gaps between highlighted acts is a great idea.

I just had a quick squiz through and it's already clash central! Excitement level has gone up yet another notch

EDIT: Streets /Chase & Status clash with loads of other stuff on Saturday night - that will be the one where I really want to be in 3 places at once

Edited by Tommy101

It's obviously not designed with Boomtown, and it's many many stages in mind. For example, if I want to check the line up of say, Wrong Side of the Tracks on Saturday, I have to scroll for ages looking for it. I can't seem to find a shortcut which does that.

It should be possible to pick the stage you want to look at from somewhere, but I can't find a way. Only seems to allow search by artist.

Otherwise, it seems pretty good. Especially once you have starred all your acts, and you get a personal timetable (ala clashfinder). Very handy indeed.

I starred a lot of acts already, and Saturday and Sunday evenings in particular are both looking like triple and even quadruple clashes for me at times. It was expected to be honest, as I researched a lot of the line up in depth...

It also seems like some things are missing which were on previous announcements. And there are some things which are new, particular at the smaller venues. Wednesday has a lot missing from the app, but I'm guessing that's because a lot of the stuff is "street parties", and not at an actual venue.

2 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Looks like chase and status for me then! Best clash ever.

Aye, I had been planning to see The Streets, but there's only gonna be one winner in that battle.....or two, depending on how you look at it

Edited by Sasperella

10 minutes ago, jump said:

Anyone find it odd they have released the stage times solely on an app for event which is in a field with poor signal reception?

They’ve said you can still pick up an A5 physical programme on arrival.

Or screenshot the app.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Anyone find it odd they have released the stage times solely on an app for event which is in a field with poor signal reception?

It seems to work without reception. I tried turning my data off and loading the app and it seems to be fine. 

Good recommendations for Friday evening/night? Although I've got some obvious ones covered (Killing Joke/Skinny Lister - Ben Ufo (Black Futures?) - High Contrast- Four Tet - Bad Company), I want to explore some other options. Saturday seems a lot more of a clash fest to me, but I'm sure that's just because I don't know enough of the line up!

EDIT: Also, apologies for still being stuck in 2009, but what can you expect from a Skream set nowadays? I assume he's branched out a wee bit from the (IMO amazing) dubstep days....?

Edited by Sasperella

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

EDIT: Also, apologies for still being stuck in 2009, but what can you expect from a Skream set nowadays? I assume he's branched out a wee bit from the (IMO amazing) dubstep days....?

Skream mainly plays and produces tech house now,  not really my thing if I'm honest but good for him for doing what he enjoys

6 hours ago, jump said:

Yep app works without signal. It’s the same engine they used at All Points East and I was using it on the tube to the festival to try and plan. 

6 hours ago, Henrik said:

Any idea why Therapy only get a half hour slot. Can’t find a single other act that only gets 30 minutes - they are all 50mins to an hour. It seems odd. I’m hoping it’s a mistake. 

I noticed this too. Seems like probably a mistake. There are a lot of other mistakes as well, spellings, timings etc. To be fair... it's a lot of data to enter into the app. About 1300 acts. I guess some mistakes are inevitable.

I really should have gotten a ticket... I wasn't going to, then I was, then I wasn't, then I was... then my wife moaned... now I'm sat with ticketless regret. 

I've entered a few competitions for one as if I win I have to attend by default. ?

30 minutes ago, jump said:

Boomtown Source have chucked up the stage times incase anyone doesn't want to install an app on your phone which then sell on your details and track your movements for Russian spies.

http://boomtownsource.com/boomtown-2019-line-up/

I'd love it if the Russians got hold of my movements at Boomtown.

"He's just walking around in a big circle all weekend"

Apologies for the lack of weather updates from Darn Sarf!! 

If I had a Sticky Stick and a Jar, the stick would be measuring an amount of precipitation and the jar would definitely have some moisture in it. 

I shall endeavour to arrange some sort of jar based measuring device this evening. 

• Upvote 1

Also been checking the weather runs... glad to see that weather nerdery has carried over from Glastonbury to Boomtown.

All runs seem to be in agreement. Jet stream sitting well below the UK, and very ugly low pressure systems hanging about. Really quite bad news.

A sticky stick and jar is surely the only way to counteract the bad news coming out from the weather scientists right now...