Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

So I've just convinced my sister to come (yay!) and she's bought one of the Public Transport saver tickets with return shuttle bus from Winchester - all it said under the coach options was 'contact National Express' so this was her only way of getting a saver ticket.

However, if you go on the National Express website they are still selling coaches to the fest from Bristol, seemingly at the same times as the ones you were able to buy on ticketsellers. And these are £19.50 return, whereas a train from Bristol to Winchester is £40 return even with a railcard, and you need to change at Reading.

So I guess I have two questions, in the unlikely event anyone on here can help!

1. It'll be fine for her to buy one of these coaches through National Express and then get in on her Public Transport saver ticket, even though she didn't actually use the transport method she paid for when she bought the ticket, right?

2. If (1) is fine, any point trying to contact them and get the £11 for the shuttle bus back?

Side note: I am now very very excited as we're two weeks away. Remembering how amazing the place actually is. Can't wait.

Edited by theevilfridge

8 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

So I've just convinced my sister to come (yay!) and she's bought one of the Public Transport saver tickets with return shuttle bus from Winchester - all it said under the coach options was 'contact National Express' so this was her only way of getting a saver ticket.

However, if you go on the National Express website they are still selling coaches to the fest from Bristol, seemingly at the same times as the ones you were able to buy on ticketsellers. And these are £19.50 return, whereas a train from Bristol to Winchester is £40 return even with a railcard, and you need to change at Reading.

So I guess I have two questions, in the unlikely event anyone on here can help!

1. It'll be fine for her to buy one of these coaches through National Express and then get in on her Public Transport saver ticket, even though she didn't actually use the transport method she paid for when she bought the ticket, right?

2. If (1) is fine, any point trying to contact them and get the £11 for the shuttle bus back?

Side note: I am now very very excited as we're two weeks away. Remembering how amazing the place actually is. Can't wait.

It will definitely be fine. The public transport saver is valid as long as you use public transport. Getting the £11 back might be tough though. Boomtown@theticketsellers.co.uk is your best bet.

1 hour ago, Sku said:

It will definitely be fine. The public transport saver is valid as long as you use public transport. Getting the £11 back might be tough though. Boomtown@theticketsellers.co.uk is your best bet.

Thanks ?  - she’s going to drop them an email on the off chance. Seems like a stupid ticket process when National Express are still doing coaches, but hey ho.

I’m well up for Grouch In Dub, after hearing a snippet as I walked past the Glade at Glastonbury. And Kate Tempest’s new album is incredible, if I don’t cry when she’s on I’ll be amazed.

Generally a strong lineup for me this year, moreso than 2018. Looking at Prophets of Rage, The Streets, Groove Armada, Dreadzone, Goldie Lookin Chain (lol), Four Tet, Killing Joke, Therapy?, Cancer Bats, Little Simz, Blackalicious. Definitely enough to keep busy in between trips to the Psy Woods and Job Centre :D

1 hour ago, PDAD said:

Getting dangerously excited now!! ...SO...Who is everyone's must sees? 

Streets, Groove Armada and Prophets are as close to must sees as I'm going to get but I'm realistic that I tend to end up where I end up at Boom. There's not many smaller names for me that are likely to be on during the day so it looks like I'll have a lot of free time to get lost in the festival.

34 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Streets, Groove Armada and Prophets are as close to must sees as I'm going to get but I'm realistic that I tend to end up where I end up at Boom. There's not many smaller names for me that are likely to be on during the day so it looks like I'll have a lot of free time to get lost in the festival.

That's certainly not a bad thing at Boomtown. Bar Gogol Bordello, all of what would be my 'must sees', I have seen before. 

Time to explore and see what happens!

1 hour ago, theevilfridge said:

I’m well up for Grouch In Dub, after hearing a snippet as I walked past the Glade at Glastonbury. And Kate Tempest’s new album is incredible, if I don’t cry when she’s on I’ll be amazed.

Generally a strong lineup for me this year, moreso than 2018. Looking at Prophets of Rage, The Streets, Groove Armada, Dreadzone, Goldie Lookin Chain (lol), Four Tet, Killing Joke, Therapy?, Cancer Bats, Little Simz, Blackalicious. Definitely enough to keep busy in between trips to the Psy Woods and Job Centre :D

Ooh the Job centre...I have told myself the last 2 years I will get more involved with the more interactive side of things, and then just end up getting distracted somewhere else. Definitely this year though!

12 minutes ago, PDAD said:

That's certainly not a bad thing at Boomtown. Bar Gogol Bordello, all of what would be my 'must sees', I have seen before. 

Time to explore and see what happens!

Oh yeah - not meaning to imply it's a bad thing at all to be honest. Love discovering new acts on smaller stages too.

There's a lot of DJ sets I intend on catching too but to be honest I'll head for what stage I fancy on each night rather than any one act.

2 hours ago, PDAD said:

Ooh the Job centre...I have told myself the last 2 years I will get more involved with the more interactive side of things, and then just end up getting distracted somewhere else. Definitely this year though!

Their Christmas party on the Sunday is always solid gold.

• Upvote 2

There's plenty of stages for you to go if you're not a fan.

I'll confess it's been a while since I've seen them live in person but they had fantastic presence then and seemed to do an awesome job of getting energy out of a Sunday night Glasto crowd on the iplayer footage.

I saw The Streets years ago in their prime and it was great.

I also tried to go see them at Glastonbury this year, with a plan to go see the last 45m of The Cure afterwards. It was packed and we ended up stood outside.

It was very dull, and I was disappointed. But I couldn't tell if that was just because I was outside, and the sound wasn't carrying properly. There was no atmosphere outside the tent despite thousands being stuck out there.

I was hoping that seeing The Streets at Glastonbury would give me one less clash at Boomtown... but now I'm not sure if I should see them again, as I feel like I kind of missed them at Glastonbury by trying to watch from outside.

I saw The Streets at Brixton back in February and loved it. An Original Pirate Material heavy set list, and a crowd that was right up for it. 

I'm not overly bothered about seeing them again at Boomtown as the box is already kind of ticked now - but if I end up there due to the group consensus, I know I'll still have a great time. Definitely wouldn't call them dull.