Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

38 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Have IOW next weekend to get into the festival season proper. Bring it on!

Nice! Yeah, I will be at IOW on the Sunday too. Looking forward to a bit of IDLES and Biffy. Let's hope that sun comes out. It's proper grim down here today. 

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The video gets you pumped.

I have been all about Glastonbury recently, but Boomtown tickets have got me psyched for Boomtown. This could be a great summer!

I've also been consumed by Glastonbury hype right now (not been since 2013!), but am just starting to turn my attention to Boomtown a little as well. Hoping for a great summer with lots of sunshine :sungum:

9 hours ago, payneruk said:

Due to a last minute/unplanned moving house this summer I'm pretty skint. 

Any tips on how to do BT on the cheap?

Smuggle in as many spirits as possible, that way you only need to buy a bottle of coke for a couple of quid and keep topping up. Also, take food you can make with hot water. Pot noodles, pasta pots etc for during the day. Take breakfast bars / belvita type things for breakfast and own coffee / teabags. You can get hot water for free if you ask nicely enough or if not for about 50p.  I normally do that and treat myself to one hot meal a day. 

A festival is as expensive as you want it to be. I normally spend a couple of hundred but I’ve had friends do a 5 day festival on 50 quid and be drinking all day still. It’s doable!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, krisroe said:

Smuggle in as many spirits as possible, that way you only need to buy a bottle of coke for a couple of quid and keep topping up. Also, take food you can make with hot water. Pot noodles, pasta pots etc for during the day. Take breakfast bars / belvita type things for breakfast and own coffee / teabags. You can get hot water for free if you ask nicely enough or if not for about 50p.  I normally do that and treat myself to one hot meal a day. 

A festival is as expensive as you want it to be. I normally spend a couple of hundred but I’ve had friends do a 5 day festival on 50 quid and be drinking all day still. It’s doable!

Are you allowed to take small gas cookers? I'm sure I saw you could somewhere.

I once tried to do Glasto on the cheap. And took "more noodle than whole of China'. I ended up not cooking any of them and buying all my food fresh. And the stupid thing....The fresh food was more noodles :D 

2 hours ago, payneruk said:

Are you allowed to take small gas cookers? I'm sure I saw you could somewhere.

Yep...

Camping stoves using small, disposable gas canisters are permitted. Please only bring enough for your needs over the weekend. Excessive quantities may be confiscated. In the event of very hot weather / dry ground conditions we reserve the right to prohibit the use of camping stoves for safety reasons.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Henrik said:

Yep...

Camping stoves using small, disposable gas canisters are permitted. Please only bring enough for your needs over the weekend. Excessive quantities may be confiscated. In the event of very hot weather / dry ground conditions we reserve the right to prohibit the use of camping stoves for safety reasons.

Awesome. I'm thinking of making my own 'just add hot water' meals.

Rice noodles, cous cous etc for carbs.

Dehydrated veg for colour.

Dry soy chunks for protein.

Dried herbs and spices for flavour flav.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, payneruk said:

Due to a last minute/unplanned moving house this summer I'm pretty skint. 

Any tips on how to do BT on the cheap?

Volunteer

MyCauseUk have a great scheme whereby you raise money for charity through volunteering. They also offer early and super-early shifts which means you can be done before the festival even starts.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:39 PM, payneruk said:

Awesome. I'm thinking of making my own 'just add hot water' meals.

Rice noodles, cous cous etc for carbs.

Dehydrated veg for colour.

Dry soy chunks for protein.

Dried herbs and spices for flavour flav.

I'd recommend stock cubes and peanut butter with couscous 

53 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Not too long to go now guys. Any idea when we can expect this year's map? 

They released a "map video" at the beginning of July last year, but the actual full PDF map didn't come until a couple weeks before the festival.

They don't like giving detailed maps too far in advance, as they like to try and keep some surprise. When I first went in 2012 they refused to publish a map at all.

4 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Ok cool, cheers. Getting very exited for my first Boomtown now. I'll be even more so once Glastonbury is over and I can stop feeling depressed about not having a ticket for that!

Yeah, just starting to get a bit excited now. Glastonbury is just the warm up, Boomtown is the proper party ;)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Ok cool, cheers. Getting very exited for my first Boomtown now. I'll be even more so once Glastonbury is over and I can stop feeling depressed about not having a ticket for that!

Ah mate I feel your pain, I keep crying!! At least we have Boomtown to get excited for tho! Will be a hell of a lot easier after next week

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sku said:

Yeah, just starting to get a bit excited now. Glastonbury is just the warm up, Boomtown is the proper party ;)

1 minute ago, Wellyboot said:

Ah mate I feel your pain, I keep crying!! At least we have Boomtown to get excited for tho! Will be a hell of a lot easier after next week

Yes guys! :) I'm out of up votes. I'll pop back tomorrow. 

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, Sku said:

Concept art has been revealed showing some of the upgraded Scrapyard stage. Looks like it's going to be significantly bigger, and based on some of the comments production crew have been making, have a lot more fire ???

The scrapyard was my 2nd favourite stage last year. Hopefully the new one is just as good.

58 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The scrapyard was my 2nd favourite stage last year. Hopefully the new one is just as good.

I've never had a bad time in there. It makes sense to make it bigger, after it kept having to run a queue line last year. Everyone has started catching on!  Discovered a lot of great artists outside my usual listening habits from time spent in there.

Hopefully the sound system remains on point, still going to be surrounding by shipping containers so should be pumping.

1 hour ago, Sku said:

I've never had a bad time in there. It makes sense to make it bigger, after it kept having to run a queue line last year. Everyone has started catching on!  Discovered a lot of great artists outside my usual listening habits from time spent in there. 

Hopefully the sound system remains on point, still going to be surrounding by shipping containers so should be pumping.

Gabber isn't really me, but that Friday was immense last year. Loved it!