Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

Evening all,

So I just sorted out Boomtown tickets, been meaning to give it a try for a while but never got round to it. Missed out on Glastonbury tickets so thought this was the perfect time.

Me and a mate have gone for the reserved camping so you get a designated pitch but you have to bring your own tent. Seemed like a good idea as we might not be able to get there that early on the Thursday. Apologies if this is the wrong thread but does anyone know where in terms of everything the reserved camping section is? Not sure if its up the hill or down the hill or whatever. I have seen the layout video but this doesn't mean that much as I dont know the festival landmarks. I'm not a total stranger to the lay of the land though as I live only a few miles away and you can walk through there most of the year, even when they are setting up and I went to Homelands there years ago (the one that followed on from Creamfields) so have a rough idea of things. Any info would be much appreciated... Getting a little excited already :)

15 hours ago, saintfletch said:

Evening all,

So I just sorted out Boomtown tickets, been meaning to give it a try for a while but never got round to it. Missed out on Glastonbury tickets so thought this was the perfect time. 

Me and a mate have gone for the reserved camping so you get a designated pitch but you have to bring your own tent. Seemed like a good idea as we might not be able to get there that early on the Thursday. Apologies if this is the wrong thread but does anyone know where in terms of everything the reserved camping section is? Not sure if its up the hill or down the hill or whatever. I have seen the layout video but this doesn't mean that much as I dont know the festival landmarks. I'm not a total stranger to the lay of the land though as I live only a few miles away and you can walk through there most of the year, even when they are setting up and I went to Homelands there years ago (the one that followed on from Creamfields) so have a rough idea of things. Any info would be much appreciated... Getting a little excited already :) 

You will love Boomtown.  I went last year as a Glastonbury replacement. I am doing both this year and I am equally looking forward to both - so that should tell you, that you have picked well as a replacement. I'm sure you'll love it.

I am pretty sure the reserved camping is at the top of the hill not too far from Lion's Den (which is the main stage). I didn't camp near there last year, but I am pretty sure that is right.

Boomtown doesn't seem to get as muddy as Glastonbury, so you can do it with trainers. It lamped it'self down a few times last year and it was ok with trainers all through. It never felt that busy either. My biggest Glastonbury complaint is it often feels overcrowded, getting somewhere can be a chore and you have to get to a stage half an hour before just to get near a stage. It can mean that if you are trekking across the site,  you sometimes have to set off a good 90 minutes early in order to see a specific act. Boomtown has none of that. Apart from the micro venues nothing felt overcrowded. We got to Limp Bizkit about 20 minutes early last year and there were about 50 people there. Everyone turns up just before the act starts. Even Limp Bizkit just felt very busy, rather than crammed in.

See you there!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

You will love Boomtown.  I went last year as a Glastonbury replacement. I am doing both this year and I am equally looking forward to both - so that should tell you, that you have picked well as a replacement. I'm sure you'll love it.

I am pretty sure the reserved camping is at the top of the hill not too far from Lion's Den (which is the main stage). I didn't camp near there last year, but I am pretty sure that is right.

Boomtown doesn't seem to get as muddy as Glastonbury, so you can do it with trainers. It lamped it'self down a few times last year and it was ok with trainers all through. It never felt that busy either. My biggest Glastonbury complaint is it often feels overcrowded, getting somewhere can be a chore and you have to get to a stage half an hour before just to get near a stage. It can mean that if you are trekking across the site,  you sometimes have to set off a good 90 minutes early in order to see a specific act. Boomtown has none of that. Apart from the micro venues nothing felt overcrowded. We got to Limp Bizkit about 20 minutes early last year and there were about 50 people there. Everyone turns up just before the act starts. Even Limp Bizkit just felt very busy, rather than crammed in.

See you there!

Great info, thanks @FuzzyDunlop I am loving all of the good reviews of the place. They will start the build in a few weeks time so will get up there before they shut the site down and have a walk about.

Ayy welcome brother this excellent map from our unofficial hero ‘boomtown source’ might be more useful than the shitty official map. Reserved camping is right in the middle of it next to lions den as fuzzy says.

ive only just clocked this but reserved probably have the best spot out of the lot!

3A09852D-F36E-4311-8A8A-22DDDFBD4844.jpeg

On 5/3/2019 at 5:09 PM, saintfletch said:

Not sure if its up the hill or down the hill or whatever. I have seen the layout video but this doesn't mean that much as I dont know the festival landmarks. I'm not a total stranger to the lay of the land though as I live only a few miles away and you can walk through there most of the year, even when they are setting up and I went to Homelands there years ago (the one that followed on from Creamfields) so have a rough idea of things. Any info would be much appreciated... Getting a little excited already :)

I did this last year so a lot of the names will be two years out of date by this festival but hopefully it'll give you a general idea of the lay of the land, especially when people are talking about the hill. 

image.png.b7d052ad9e14764998cc4a89890c546d.png

The big orange arrow is the wider, longer, easier route and the smaller red arrows are far steeper and narrower paths with steps (ish, I'm doing this on paint at work so can't even angle the lines but hopefully it gets the point across). 

From last years map DSTRKT 5, Bairrio and Chinatown are in a big bowl, from Wild West to Whistlers Green is on a big ridge, and Trenchtown and Sector 5 are in another dip. 

Interview was interesting though I still don’t believe that they’re magically going to fix the sound issue. I’ll see it when I believe it. I’m no expert on acoustics but unless you literally put a massive dome other the whole thing surely you can’t really stop sound escaping to the countryside ??

2 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

Interview was interesting though I still don’t believe that they’re magically going to fix the sound issue. I’ll see it when I believe it. I’m no expert on acoustics but unless you literally put a massive dome other the whole thing surely you can’t really stop sound escaping to the countryside ??

That's one of the things they mentioned, they are using "noise barriers" and "sound baffles" to absorb the sound and stop it leaking everywhere. I'd imagine the issue is more to keep the sound consistent at the allowed level throughout the crowd rather just making the various speakers louder so everyone can hear. 

10 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

I did this last year so a lot of the names will be two years out of date by this festival but hopefully it'll give you a general idea of the lay of the land, especially when people are talking about the hill. 

Thanks for that doing my first boomtown this year that maps a great help

10 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Great maps, thanks @Radi0Head & @Tommy101. Looks like reserved camping is slap bang in the middle which is perfect. Hopefully try and come in on the South side but I guess it depends on where they direct you the time you get there.

Salt-N-Pepa are playing in London on Friday the 9th of August, so they can only be playing on the Saturday or Sunday. With the Prophets of Rage looking like Sunday headliners on the Town Centre, I'd say this probably means Salt-n-Pepa will play the Saturday.

8 hours ago, tpark said:

Slaves website is saying Saturday, would they headline town centre over Salt-N-Pepa?

I'd assume Slaves are headlining whichever day they play. Top of the Town Centre poster, whereas Salt-N-Pepa are tier 2.