Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

16 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

Welcome to the madhouse friend ! Are you ready to have raw onion spat at you while being wrestled by a convenience store employee ?

I guess so. I’ll do what I gotta do, man. 

How does the line-up reveal work? Do we get anything this year? 

16 minutes ago, Henrik said:

I guess so. I’ll do what I gotta do, man. 

How does the line-up reveal work? Do we get anything this year? 

Comes out in dribs and drabs main line up poster in February this year. Line ups by area annoucing from February through till April. So probably won’t get anything this year. They might do some promotional stuff regarding the storyline in the meantime.

Edited by Radi0Head
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Henrik said:

Epic Glastonbury fail means I will be attending my first Boomtown in 2019. 

Every cloud and all that ?

It's a great silver lining :D

So whats the deal with tier 1 then? Do they really sell out in minutes? At least four of my festival crew are in for sure

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

It's a great silver lining :D

So whats the deal with tier 1 then? Do they really sell out in minutes? At least four of my festival crew are in for sure

Tier 1 will sell out in minutes. We are usually lucky but we are on the ball from the sale time. Got to be quick or tier 2 it is. Still going just costs a bit.more.

13 hours ago, pilton digger said:

Tier 1 will sell out in minutes. We are usually lucky but we are on the ball from the sale time. Got to be quick or tier 2 it is. Still going just costs a bit.more.

Cool, good to know. And do you have to enter names of all ticket holders when purchasing?

Hey!  I am investigating how UK festivals are engaging with environmental issues as part of my undergraduate dissertation at Cardiff University. I am asking festival-goers to fill in a short (2-3 minute) survey on their views of this, and hope that you will take part!

The link to the survey is: https://getfoureyes.com/s/f893L/

If you wish to contact me for any additional information or queries my email address is: amywhitcherdissertation@gmail.com

Thank you to anyone who takes part :)

On 10/7/2018 at 4:04 PM, Radi0Head said:

Comes out in dribs and drabs main line up poster in February this year. Line ups by area annoucing from February through till April. So probably won’t get anything this year. They might do some promotional stuff regarding the storyline in the meantime.

You'll get the main headliner in December, or at least you should do. The Specials, Madness and Gorillaz have all been annouced in December previously. Gorillaz was 6th of December last year :)

17 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

Anybody checked out the miniseries they've been uploading to Facebook? it's pretty interesting they're doing behind the scenes at some of the smaller areas. The first one was about the 24hr Garage Girls stage.

Nope, but I've been meaning to! Will check it out this eve.

The girl I volunteered at Boomtown with last year told me yesterday that she doesn't think she can afford Boomtown at the regular prices as well as Glastonbury, and is looking into non-Oxfam volunteering options, despite the fact that we both swore we wouldn't volunteer there again (well, at least not with Oxfam). I mentioned about the first tier tickets and she thought that would be a good option - hope we manage to secure them!! Another refresh nightmare beckons I guess....

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, Henrik said:

Epic Glastonbury fail means I will be attending my first Boomtown in 2019. 

Every cloud and all that ?

I managed to get a Glastonbury ticket and I am still thinking about going to Boomtown too. I did Boomtown last year and loved it, it is an amazing festival. Highly recommended. It isn't Glastonbury, but - there are a few things which I prefer to Worthy Farm.

The fact you can walk around without ever feeling it is too busy.

No need to plan anything. If you want to see something at Glastonbury - you have to be there well before so there isn't a crowd. At Boomtown... walk there 10 mins before and you'll be fine.

The people..... it's rougher than Glastonbury, but in the best way. Everyone is very friendly, but they are bang up for it. It has an edge that Glastonbury doesn't have - without ever feeling threatening. It's like the biggest illegal rave in Britain.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, superdave1987 said:

I'm in same boat as quite a few others. Failed miserably on Glastonbury tickets, but been wanting to try Boomtown for a while.

What's it like for the (ever so slightly) older crowd? I'm 31, and every photo I've seen of Boomtown has toddlers in them.

I'm 34. I didn't have a problem.

1 hour ago, Henrik said:

Nice one, FD

Yeah, I've only heard great things about Boomtown. Got a couple of mates who have been going for years and they absolutely rave about it. 

It's a done deal for me. I will be there next year for sure! Bring it :) 

Good stuff - you will love it.

1 hour ago, superdave1987 said:

I'm in same boat as quite a few others. Failed miserably on Glastonbury tickets, but been wanting to try Boomtown for a while.

What's it like for the (ever so slightly) older crowd? I'm 31, and every photo I've seen of Boomtown has toddlers in them.

30 here, there are plenty of us in that sort of age bracket. Also I took my sister-in-law and her friends who are 35 this year, it was their first ever festival, and they are all in line for tickets next year.

The festivals crowd has slowly skewed older over the years, with the large amount of repeat visitors who started going in their early to mid 20's. But it does also draw a number of the "my first festival" types too. So it's a mixed bag for sure.

Make of it what you will, but in my view, the festival has taken steps to cater more towards an older, and even family audience in recent years. It's not lost it's edge, but you can at least tell the guys running the show are getting older.

7 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Nope, but I've been meaning to! Will check it out this eve.

The girl I volunteered at Boomtown with last year told me yesterday that she doesn't think she can afford Boomtown at the regular prices as well as Glastonbury, and is looking into non-Oxfam volunteering options, despite the fact that we both swore we wouldn't volunteer there again (well, at least not with Oxfam). I mentioned about the first tier tickets and she thought that would be a good option - hope we manage to secure them!! Another refresh nightmare beckons I guess....

Tell them to check out MyCauseUK if they choose to volunteer. by leagues the best festival volunteering experience I’ve had has been with them.

1 hour ago, Sku said:

30 here, there are plenty of us in that sort of age bracket.

Gotta agree here there’s a lot of different things to do. Though the crowd is definitely  younger than say Glastonbury. And if you’re the more hedonistic type then you’ll be very at home at Boom.

3 hours ago, superdave1987 said:

I'm 33, and will be 34 before the next boomtown. Obviously it is a noticeably younger crowd, but I didn't feel old and there were plenty of people far older than me having a great time! As it was my first time I can't really say if it's "maturing"as such....but I would definitely recommend it as it is to people in my age bracket. I think the addition of rock/metal/punk and reggae/world music means it's not just a dance festival for 20-somethings ?

Edited by Sasperella

I have been to 7 out of the last 8 (son got married so I had to miss 2016) and I am considerably older than you lot. In the early days we had to either be dealers or undercover coppers, no one else was over 12. It has got older and there are a lot more mature tourists, they come once and that will do. You can see from the CV field that it is a bit bucket list for some, flash campers and money. Age is irrelevant, how you do it is up to you.  Refuse to grow up.

Fuzzy is right, there is still an edge that you don't get at a lot of other festivals (maybe Beatherder but different if that makes sense) but we have rarely seen any lairyness. Everyone just plays hard. Most people that I know go once out of interest and then keep going because it is so good.

18 hours ago, pilton digger said:

I have been to 7 out of the last 8 (son got married so I had to miss 2016) and I am considerably older than you lot. In the early days we had to either be dealers or undercover coppers, no one else was over 12. It has got older and there are a lot more mature tourists, they come once and that will do. You can see from the CV field that it is a bit bucket list for some, flash campers and money. Age is irrelevant, how you do it is up to you.  Refuse to grow up.

Fuzzy is right, there is still an edge that you don't get at a lot of other festivals (maybe Beatherder but different if that makes sense) but we have rarely seen any lairyness. Everyone just plays hard. Most people that I know go once out of interest and then keep going because it is so good.

Digger's right. NO need to worry about feeling old at Boomtown - it's got a pretty inclusive feel to it, even though it has an 'edge' as well..