48 minutes ago, razzles said:

Took 4 hours just to get on the shuttle bus to Didcot Parkway so next year we'd definitely drive!

Yowser!

What time did you join the queue?

We left camp at about 10:30 and as there were 4 of us, decided to go for a taxi (£13) had to walk off site to be picked up ands then wait about 45 mi s for the booking to come through, but ended up at Didcot for midday.

My first Truck, was in family camping, really enjoyed it, for me the only real issue with the whole festival is the stages are all too close together so there was often a fair bit of sound bleed. Oh and also I didn't realise until Saturday there were urinals for men... But that's just me being unobservant.

Was my 18th Truck this weekend...event feels like it’s something completely different to when I first went in 1999! 

has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2-3 years and it’s amazing to see it now at 18,000 capacity given it was still only 5,000 a few years ago and only 400 at my first in 1999!

feel like a few more ‘big’ acts should be on now though and perhaps a more dance orientated headliner (Basement Jaxx did a great job in 2015)

bar prices are also getting very high (£5.50 a pint!) and the queues to get out of the car park this morning were ridiculous took me over 3 hours luckily my house is only 15 min drive away.

all in all a great weekend look forward to seeing who gets announced for next year already. :)  

9 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Was my 18th Truck this weekend...event feels like it’s something completely different to when I first went in 1999! 

has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2-3 years and it’s amazing to see it now at 18,000 capacity given it was still only 5,000 a few years ago and only 400 at my first in 1999!

feel like a few more ‘big’ acts should be on now though and perhaps a more dance orientated headliner (Basement Jaxx did a great job in 2015)

bar prices are also getting very high (£5.50 a pint!) and the queues to get out of the car park this morning were ridiculous took me over 3 hours luckily my house is only 15 min drive away.

all in all a great weekend look forward to seeing who gets announced for next year already. :)  

Bar prices aren't that high, £5.50 is pretty standard for these sort of events now, even at a normal gig is can Ben £5.50

3 hours ago, Mcbatesman said:

Bar prices aren't that high, £5.50 is pretty standard for these sort of events now, even at a normal gig is can Ben £5.50

Truck always had lower prices than other commercial festivals which is what they prided themselves on for many a year.

That sadly seems to have disappeared in the last couple years.

also from 2017 we weren’t allowed to bring own alcohol into the arena anymore which has made things a lot more expensive! 

Edited by gooner1990

12 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Truck always had lower prices than other commercial festivals which is what they prided themselves on for many a year.

That sadly seems to have disappeared in the last couple years.

also from 2017 we weren’t allowed to bring own alcohol into the arena anymore which has made things a lot more expensive! 

Was always going to go up though, everything like that does, especially when the tickets are still relatively cheap! 

Taking your own alcohol in was always going to stop as well, even the free music festival in my town has stopped letting you! 

Edited by Mcbatesman

34 minutes ago, Mcbatesman said:

Was always going to go up though, everything like that does, especially when the tickets are still relatively cheap! 

Taking your own alcohol in was always going to stop as well, even the free music festival in my town has stopped letting you! 

Didn't have too - see Glastonbury

31 minutes ago, Stuielooie said:

I was told by someone ITK that the festival oversold by a HUGE amount, and there was way over 22.5k people attending this year. 

This wouldn't surprise me at all. I think the line-up was particularly strong for the price.

The pit for Foals was incredibly hard work due to crowding. I think the festival could handle the numbers, queues for bars and toilets were never really an issue, but they do need to move the sound tower back a bit.

• Upvote 1

So, did anyone else witness the singer from Sports Team do his one-man Karaoke show in the Tap Room on Saturday Night? For some reason, he was given the mic and allowed to bellow over the top of songs like Common People. We left when Robbie Williams Angels came on. One of the most awful things I have ever witnessed, and fuck me, the guy cannot sing a note in tune. Dreadful shit. I now hate that band, and the sooner they sink from view, the happier I'll be.

• Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

So, did anyone else witness the singer from Sports Team do his one-man Karaoke show in the Tap Room on Saturday Night? For some reason, he was given the mic and allowed to bellow over the top of songs like Common People. We left when Robbie Williams Angels came on. One of the most awful things I have ever witnessed, and fuck me, the guy cannot sing a note in tune. Dreadful shit. I now hate that band, and the sooner they sink from view, the happier I'll be.

I was there and really enjoyed it! I’m not the biggest fan of Sport Team but both sets were highlights of the weekend for me. I wouldn’t agree with the guy comparing the Market stage saying they’re “the best live band around” (a number of bands in the same sort of scene are better in my opinion, one being stuck in Japan that evening) but I think they’re a lot of fun and that the energy of their live set was there in the DJ set. It was a perfect way to spend the Saturday evening for me. 

5 hours ago, foolee said:

Didn't have too - see Glastonbury

Glastonbury is weird and doesn't work like any other festival, at the end of the day it's a business and it's aim is to make money so price increases will happen whether its the same time or a few years later than other festivals

First time at Truck and had a great time. Went with a group of friends, some go every year and some had never been to a festival before! Camping wise it was very spacious, tonnes of room all around us as well. Thought the food was reasonably priced with some decent variety but the alcohol was horrifically expensive. Security took cans off my friends when they arrived because between the 4 of them they were "2 cans over" which seems completely ridiculous.

Music wise thought the sound on the main stage was a bit iffy, but sounded much better on the Sunday and for the headliners. Leaving was a complete nightmare though, is it like that every year?

Would definitely go back next year, considering the price of tickets and lineup it's a fantastic festival.

12 hours ago, Mcbatesman said:

Glastonbury is weird and doesn't work like any other festival, at the end of the day it's a business and it's aim is to make money so price increases will happen whether its the same time or a few years later than other festivals

11 hours ago, jamjar said:

Great festival but they don't have to pay as much for artists as others so save a lot of £. 

See also 2000 trees. It’s only because the festival was taken over by Global that the no drinks in the arena became a thing. Due to becoming a commercial money making machine rather than an independent festival that’s core values were putting on a good festival.

2 hours ago, foolee said:

See also 2000 trees. It’s only because the festival was taken over by Global that the no drinks in the arena became a thing. Due to becoming a commercial money making machine rather than an independent festival that’s core values were putting on a good festival.

Yep, and Bearded Theory. No restrictions on taking your own alcohol in to either campsites or arena - instead they encourage you to use the bars by providing a great range at a sensible price (most were £4 a pint this year) and as a result the bars were well patronised.

3 hours ago, foolee said:

But they are getting bit bands playing now that it's a corporate machine and let's not forget the festival might not even still exist if it wasn't for that.

2000trees may go the same way at some point, like I said sooner or later it'll happen

2 hours ago, Mcbatesman said:

But they are getting bit bands playing now that it's a corporate machine and let's not forget the festival might not even still exist if it wasn't for that.

2000trees may go the same way at some point, like I said sooner or later it'll happen

But some of these festivals work and if Glastonbury gave in to the corporate machine it wouldn't be what it is today. I thought Truck was a better festival, atmosphere and organised better before it was taken over as alot more care goes into the organisation of the festival rather than just being a money spinner. Lineups were still attracting big acts too. I think the independent festivals have a niche rather than having to rely on a lineup which Truck doo. If for example indie got back into the mainstream like in 2000-2010 and say a big corporate event like Reading got the exclusives on the acts Truck would lose alot of it's customers due to being like any other but I digress. It just makes for a nice festival if you can carry your booze around with you, it also doesn't stop me spending money on bars and food as I plan for that anyway. I'm of the thinking people who don't want to spend money on booze and food just won't spend as much time in the arena at these events so I'm not sure how much they actually gain from this, the biggest gain is having more popular bands bringing in more fans and a good reputation. 

Had a great time this weekend, but there weren't enough zodiac toilets and needed to be cleaned at some point over the weekend.

Getting back to the shuttle bus was awful. Made to go around the arena, walk through the village for ages.

In the end we gave up and hopped on a public bus.  

Only issue I had with sound was for Foals to the left of the stage. Moved further back halfway though and it improved though. 

2 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Had a great time this weekend, but there weren't enough zodiac toilets and needed to be cleaned at some point over the weekend.

Getting back to the shuttle bus was awful. Made to go around the arena, walk through the village for ages.

In the end we gave up and hopped on a public bus.  

Only issue I had with sound was for Foals to the left of the stage. Moved further back halfway though and it improved though. 

Same here regarding the Zodiac toilets. Also queuing for 45-60 mins each morning for a shower was a little annoying considering the cost but oh well, showers were fine once in! 

Also had the same with Foals, started front left with awful sound. Moved further back to the left and sound was great! 

Lovely weekend! Love going to Truck and was my 5th time. Left the site about 8:30 on Monday morning and got straight out from the Zodiac/Family car park fortunately! Sounded like a horror show for shuttle buses and general camping! 

2 hours ago, maxdillon7 said:

he doesn’t take himself seriously and maybe neither should you 

I don't get why this is a sound argument. I think a band on the up should have a bit of quality control when presenting themselves in public. In this case singing lessons would not go amiss either.