Victorious 2019

seanz25

Ended up only going for Friday and Saturday and had a good time at both. Got my Doves redemption [the first and second time I asked people to stop talking through a set was during Doves, managed to do so politely and both pairs obliged so I thanked them after it was a decent vibe down the front], enjoyed Capaldi and All Saints more than I thought I would. Hives always deliver.

Shout to those who fix up the clashfinder including @luckysalt. I always print a load off and friends go from 'you're a keeno' to 'have you got a spare one' in minutes.

Any reports back from the campsite? I'm interested in how many people use it and what it's like. Saw some pics showing that it was in good shape come Monday lunchtime so guessing it's alright atmosphere? Also I think most of the dicks at the event walk home. I didn't see nearly as many of them this year, or drunk kids for that matter. I got ID'd a few times so they must really be making an effort to cut down on it and I think it's working for the better.

On 8/27/2019 at 10:56 AM, luckysalt said:

Little review here, was very much if ain't broke don't fix it, but there was little changes on site that made things better like placing of ice cream van on castle stage finally moved to behind sound mixer was perfect. Only thing I can moan about was they moved the toilets on seaside stage which were usually the quietest on site, so was queuing more for the toilets (well the Mrs was). 

Saturday was defo the busier of the weekend bar queues were LONG all over the site. I wish they sold cloudy apple strongbow at all bars instead of just strongbow stage and champagne bar. Don't understand why this is still the case this year. Also strongbow original 5.50, dark fruits 5.80, cloudy apple 6. Just rips the piss. 

R&L were selling lager for £5 and Somersby Cider for £6

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 9:51 AM, CrispyDuck said:

Really enjoyed Victorious this year - the weather definitely helped, even if the headliners weren't totally to my taste.

Standout bands for me:

Bloc Party (so stoked to see them perform, they made the weekend for me), Hives, Doves (how good do they sound live?), Badly Brawn Boy, Ash, Futureheads, Ziggy Marley, Band of Skulls .... miscellaneous performers who I don't know the name of having fun on the World Music Stage.

Had a late start on Friday so unfortunately didn't quite catch as much of the Zutons as I would have liked.

Bar prices were extortionate, especially for a non-drinker. The non-alcoholic beers were nearly as much as the alco drinks, and came in a can (which you can buy 6 of for three quarters of the price in the supermarket). They also ran out of Heineken 0 by Sunday, so not great.

But overall enjoyable - cracking undercard, glorious weather, great food (price seemed fine for me & good veg options).

I,m a non drinker and couldn't be bothered to queue for hours just to see if there was alcohol free beer available. I survived on tap water all day!great festival though.woukd like to see better headliners next year

On 8/30/2019 at 8:55 AM, Tommy101 said:

Ended up only going for Friday and Saturday and had a good time at both. Got my Doves redemption [the first and second time I asked people to stop talking through a set was during Doves, managed to do so politely and both pairs obliged so I thanked them after it was a decent vibe down the front], enjoyed Capaldi and All Saints more than I thought I would. Hives always deliver.

Shout to those who fix up the clashfinder including @luckysalt. I always print a load off and friends go from 'you're a keeno' to 'have you got a spare one' in minutes.

Any reports back from the campsite? I'm interested in how many people use it and what it's like. Saw some pics showing that it was in good shape come Monday lunchtime so guessing it's alright atmosphere? Also I think most of the dicks at the event walk home. I didn't see nearly as many of them this year, or drunk kids for that matter. I got ID'd a few times so they must really be making an effort to cut down on it and I think it's working for the better.

Agree I didn't see any dickheads at all tbh. I did see lots more security and police though, they were everywhere. 

Not planning on returning next year, nothing to do with the festival, just done 5 years in row and the hotel prices are getting a bit ridiculous. We had one booked that cancelled us right after the festival as obviously we had it at a cheaper price and they want to resell at a higher price. I actually had a look and some places are charging £500 a night, just insane greed. So will probably look to do something closer to home.

Bet after they've reformed now Supergrass will be there next year, they've already said they'll be doing festivals after the tour early next year. 

Supergrass and Kasabian are definite possibles next year I’d say.

Also with the ‘Capaldi effect’ I wonder if they’ll look at trying to bring in a few more younger bigger names next year (although to be honest at the time they probably booked Capaldi he wasn’t as popular as he has become) 

Agree with pretty much everything everyone says here. Re: chatting / less engaged audience members. We found if we went near the front (relatively easy to do for most acts if you turned up 15 mins early) this wasn’t a problem.

Next in Portsmouth is Dials on Oct 5, it’s new music-discovery event - 5 venues all on one street so really easy to do. I’ve put a separate thread up about this.

23 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Agree I didn't see any dickheads at all tbh. I did see lots more security and police though, they were everywhere. 

Not planning on returning next year, nothing to do with the festival, just done 5 years in row and the hotel prices are getting a bit ridiculous. We had one booked that cancelled us right after the festival as obviously we had it at a cheaper price and they want to resell at a higher price. I actually had a look and some places are charging £500 a night, just insane greed. So will probably look to do something closer to home.

Bet after they've reformed now Supergrass will be there next year, they've already said they'll be doing festivals after the tour early next year. 

I've used the Halls of Residence the last couple of years. About 25 minute walk, and pretty basic, but £45 a night for single and I think about £60 a night for a double room, so somewhat more reasonable!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 12:08 PM, rseamer said:

Supergrass and Kasabian are definite possibles next year I’d say.

Also with the ‘Capaldi effect’ I wonder if they’ll look at trying to bring in a few more younger bigger names next year (although to be honest at the time they probably booked Capaldi he wasn’t as popular as he has become) 

Agree with pretty much everything everyone says here. Re: chatting / less engaged audience members. We found if we went near the front (relatively easy to do for most acts if you turned up 15 mins early) this wasn’t a problem.

Next in Portsmouth is Dials on Oct 5, it’s new music-discovery event - 5 venues all on one street so really easy to do. I’ve put a separate thread up about this.

I'd say it was more the POP factor, I said before the event All Saints wouldn't get people in, how wrong was I, they had an absolutely HUGE crowd, fair play though, they were brilliant. In comparison Idlewild had one of the smallest crowds I've ever seen at Victorious, so something im sure they will be thinking about. 

BTW with Capaldi being so rammed, I was actually at OCS who had a really big crowd still then I went over for the end of Capaldi to meet the mrs and I saw the crowd he had, I actually have photos of it from up the top [and idlewild] I might post them up. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...