Victorious 2019

seanz25

1 hour ago, JBarbour said:

What? I think you've been going to the wrong gigs. :lol: A lot of the casual fans or people just passing at festivals are crap to watch decent acts with. I find most acts tend to be much better at their own gigs. Sound, atmosphere, intimacy. There are some exceptions when I thought a festival show and crowd would be hard to beat. Glastonbury - Rolling Stones and Leeds - Rage Against the Machine stand out for me, but then when you see the likes of Foals at a 220 capacity venue it's a feral atmosphere, you just don't get that at a festival. 

Saying that festivals can be much better value if you like the headliners and some of the undercard 

I'd agree with you here. The only thing against it mind is if an act has a great light show which can't be done as you would want the to limited indoor space.

I can see a certain logic in festivals over clubs. I've seem a lot of small punk/metal/rock bands in clubs and when they are sold out there's no room for a decent pit and the heat/lack of air are fucking nasty but chuck then on a bigger stage at a fest there's more space and fun.

But generally yeah, own gigs are better than festivals especially for smaller acts who get shorter sets. I can see The Hives and Ash having to cut a few popular songs from their set list.

Idlewild are a great addition, the early afternoon acts this year are nowhere near the quality they've had in the past, can't see people rushing in early to catch them like they did Happy Mondays or Texas. Think that's why they've packed the line up in general with more 'names' than usual. It's hard to see where they're going to place everyone at the moment. Guess stage splits will be another month away. 

Do we reckon Plan B subbing Clean Bandit then? In that case the way the poster is layed out looks like New Orders sub is still TBA. Unless plan b is the sub which would be really weird. 

5 hours ago, luckysalt said:

the early afternoon acts this year are nowhere near the quality they've had in the past, can't see people rushing in early to catch them like they did Happy Mondays or Texas.

Personally looking forward to Ziggy Marley, but you're right - if it's sheet raining like 2018, I might end up at the arcade at the end of the promenade instead of listening to All Saints

On 3/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, FestivalJamie said:

I would rather see a band for £40 at a festival with 30,000 than in a club with 200 people as I think a lot of the time the atmosphere is far better, and for me, that makes it far better value for money :)

Nope. Saw Paul Weller at the 100 Club and it was fantastic, as was The Amazons at The Black Heart in Camden recently. They're the hardcore fans, not the fairweather ones. Atmosphere brilliant

1 hour ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Does anyone know how soon to the festival dates this is expected to sell out. Also if parking in the general area is pretty decent? Never been but The Specials and New Order have totally sold it to me.

I don't think it ever sells out. Very close to the festival, if it does. Parking is a bit of a rotter. I'd advise against actually driving into Portsmouth at all if I were you. Its bad enough at the best of times, let alone when this is on. I think there's a park and ride for the festival. 

Edited by the wonderwhy

13 hours ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Does anyone know how soon to the festival dates this is expected to sell out. Also if parking in the general area is pretty decent? Never been but The Specials and New Order have totally sold it to me.

I think tickets go up in price this week though so if you can buy them soon you might save yourself a couple of quid

41 minutes ago, Rich s said:

Wonder if the slow readers club will be added.seems like they have a good following in Portsmouth and just sold out a gig there.are there any more bands to be added?

Assuming organisers stick with the same format there will be loads of localish acts announced at some point for the smaller stages.

RE Slow Readers Club - they did a couple of sets there a few years ago and played Portsmouth last night. At the gig they mentioned Victorious and said they hoped someone would ask them back, which implies they're not booked for 2019 

4 hours ago, rseamer said:

Assuming organisers stick with the same format there will be loads of localish acts announced at some point for the smaller stages.

RE Slow Readers Club - they did a couple of sets there a few years ago and played Portsmouth last night. At the gig they mentioned Victorious and said they hoped someone would ask them back, which implies they're not booked for 2019 

Yeah they first played in 2016 and then did 2 sets in 2017 then last year didn't come back and I was hoping they would return this year. Victorious don't seem to like repeat bookings unless they're small acts, maybe they see SRC as a act they need a break from now. Which is a shame. 

They seem to like to rebook the tribute acts, Beatles and Rolling Stones back this year and that Kings of Leon tribute usually plays, I'd like them to add a few more classic tributes who are no long acts, like The Smiths. 

See theres a Fleetwood Mac tribute this year and in 2017 they had a Kate Bush tribute who was brilliant but wasn't back last year. 

I think next announcement we might get one or two kinda names, nothing big. Usually you can tell who will be headlining the Acoustic stage, like a former band singer now solo, but nothing on the line up like that at the moment and the Beats & Swing hasn't had anything announced yet either. We will probably get that next, then all the unsigned stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 8:39 PM, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

The festival parking is next to the site and was quite easy to get in and out of if you arrive early and make a speedy exit! £15 for the day. Tickets usually available but gradually go up in price nearer you get. We got early bird at £30.00 but they are now £40 and will go up again to £45. Usually people selling unwanted tix nearer the time cheaper though.