Victorious 2019

seanz25

23 hours ago, KBR1991 said:

As I said it’s personal taste, for me tdcc was more appealing and would’ve been something I’d be more inclined to watch and be buzzed about the headliner, as I can take or leave the specials. As you said come August no one will really give a shit what the line up is, sun will be shining and the beers flowing. I think my reaction resembles The younger end of the spectrum whereas others on here are the other end... I might think it’s not as good but I’ll find something to watch and have a good time regardless. Imagine next year if it’s full of younger stuff, everyone else will say it’s shite so no ones wrong. I do apologise though, cause I know I’m not necessarily right, my mrs is younger than me and thinks the line ups strong.

TDCC are cobeadmining so they will still be playing the same headline set as they would have been. So in theory you could just leave after Two Door, get on the bus and pretend The Specials don’t exist.

21 hours ago, thewayiam said:

of course but when I compare what I like at both then I still have more and probably will get to see more at SD. 

It's great and all you're happy with the Slam Dunk line up but I think you are missing the point of Victorious good value comment which is it is almost half the price of what you're paying for Slam Dunk. To reflect the price difference between the two would you still be as happy with Slam Dunk over Victorious if you weren't going to see half the bands at Slam Dunk?

Rudimental played two nights at Ally Pally, Bloc Party performing Silent Alarm sold out Ally Pally in about a femtosecond, New Order are still a big draw and a more exciting booking than someone like Elbow or Stereophonics

My local council are putting on a Rudimental DJ SET in Rochester Castle Gardens and are charging £50 for the privilege; Victorious is still the best value event in the country by far

I think the headliners of the calibre of Biffy Clyro and Kasabian will come very soon, but that will probably be followed by a £10 price hike

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jump said:

It's great and all you're happy with the Slam Dunk line up but I think you are missing the point of Victorious good value comment which is it is almost half the price of what you're paying for Slam Dunk. To reflect the price difference between the two would you still be as happy with Slam Dunk over Victorious if you weren't going to see half the bands at Slam Dunk?

I'm not missing the point. The difference is I'm paying £65 for a being able to see about 9 bands in the day of which I'm bothered about seeing, a couple of which are must sees for me within an 1hours 30 drive, whereas the other option is £25+ for me to see 2 acts one day or 3 the other day that has a big gap in bands most likely and around 3 hrs drive away. Money wise for me Reading at a couple of hours drive....technically speaking and being able to see 1 must see and another very close to must see band for me is better even though the cost is much more so although Reading Sunday is still a bit pricey imo.

1 hour ago, rawaudioinput said:

Rudimental played two nights at Ally Pally, Bloc Party performing Silent Alarm sold out Ally Pally in about a femtosecond, New Order are still a big draw and a more exciting booking than someone like Elbow or Stereophonics

My local council are putting on a Rudimental DJ SET in Rochester Castle Gardens and are charging £50 for the privilege; Victorious is still the best value event in the country by far

I think the headliners of the calibre of Biffy Clyro and Kasabian will come very soon, but that will probably be followed by a £10 price hike

They've had MSP and Noel headline who have both hit arenas and at the time Noel I don't think was far away if not still doing so, it's not like it's the 1st time the fest have booked acts who play venues like Ally Pally. That DJ set is a random one tbf, the actual band are doing Newmarket Racecourse for less that than by far in some ticket choices.

• Downvote 1

On 2/28/2019 at 10:19 AM, DomDom1984 said:

No arena sized band among the headliners is pretty bad. 

Rudimental did the 02 Arena in Londonin 2016.

Arguably they’re not quite as big now I agree - but Victorious has a habit of booking acts whose stock has fallen slightly - they’ll be slightly cheaper because of it. Festival bookers have to work within the constraints of budget, availability and demographic and artist prices have risen over the last few years due to acts not making so much money from recorded music sales.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

In shocking news, I have learned above that spending any amount to see a band you do like is better personal value for money than spending less to see a band you don’t like.

More at 10.

What you you expect?!, so you're telling me people should go and spend £40 seeing a couple of bands that they could give or take over spending more money seeing a few bands that are more must sees.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

What you you expect?!, so you're telling me people should go and spend £40 seeing a couple of bands that they could give or take over spending more money seeing a few bands that are more must sees.

Keep your hair on, I literally agree with you. Of course you should choose the pricier ticket if there’s more things you want to see there. That’s what my post says.

Doesn’t make it a good measure of how objectively strong the lineups are relative to their cost, though.

Edited by theevilfridge

I'd argue cheaper fest definitely have their place over the pricier ones that are stacked with your favourite bands as it can encourage your tight arsed mates to come along. That's a big part of why I've gone to Victorious before as the group was up for it, even though there's been fests with more appealing line ups for me that I've gone to with my odd mate/girlfriend I have had a better time with a bunch of my mates.

Off-topic, but very sad to hear the news about Keith Flint. Prodigy were an epic end to a rainy, muddy, memorable 2018 Victorious. So grateful that Victorious managed to get such a distinctive act, and that I got to see them.

Line-ups - you take the ups & the downs. For every year there's an Elbow or Maximo Park, Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher, Franz Ferdinand, Prodigy, there's going to be years where the organisers hit the right festival notes for other people.

Edited by CrispyDuck
missed a word

I remember rob da bank on a camp bestival forum replying to complaints, stating the cost of booking the headline bands people wanted. Most big headlining acts with all their big tour accompaniments cost close to 1M. (This was a few years ago now so might be more). The band he referenced was “depeche mode”. Last years total for 3 days was 120000 at £30 = 3.6 mill. It’s just not feasible to get huge headliners.

2 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

Keep your hair on, I literally agree with you. Of course you should choose the pricier ticket if there’s more things you want to see there. That’s what my post says.

Doesn’t make it a good measure of how objectively strong the lineups are relative to their cost, though.

No buy if a ticket for a day is £40 and virtually of no interest you then cost effective to you it isn't...to someone yes it is. 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

No buy if a ticket for a day is £40 and virtually of no interest you then cost effective to you it isn't...to someone yes it is. 

Yes, exactly. You measure the lineup yourself, against the cost, and decide whether it’s worth it.

But can’t you see how a lineup can be good value even if it’s not to your personal taste? If Victorious announced Fleetwood Mac instead of New Order I’d be saying wow, £35 for that is incredible, even though I would then not be buying a ticket myself, because I like New Order and I don’t like Fleetwood Mac*.

Your own opinion on the bands at Slam Dunk and the bands at Victorious isn’t the best way to judge their inherent value for money, beyond your own personal decision on which ticket you buy.

*Well, I might, because I’d still want to see The Futureheads etc. But you get the point.

Edited by theevilfridge
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

Yes, exactly. You measure the lineup yourself, against the cost, and decide whether it’s worth it.

But can’t you see how a lineup can be good value even if it’s not to your personal taste? If Victorious announced Fleetwood Mac instead of New Order I’d be saying wow, £35 for that is incredible, even though I would then not be buying a ticket myself, because I like New Order and I don’t like Fleetwood Mac*.

Your own opinion on the bands at Slam Dunk and the bands at Victorious isn’t the best way to judge their value, beyond your own personal decision on which ticket you buy.

*Well, I might, because I’d still want to see The Futureheads etc. But you get the point.

I can see how your use of sarcasm originally was bring an arse.

As for this I've not denied it's good value, I've just said for personal tastes at this stage for me it's not enticing....4/5 years ago maybe. I've also said Reading Sunday is still overpriced but a chance to see two must sees just about justifies it.

Speaking of the cost of day ticket to band, just saw Bloc Party have added a Birmingham date, it's £33.82. Same day at Victorious is £35. They'll be playing pretty much the same set. So in reality if you were a fan of Bloc Party its £1.18 extra to see all the undercard at Victorious. 

Last year it was cheaper to get a Victorious day ticket at any price structure (the very last price, say on day of the fest even) than Paul Weller and Prodigy's own tour dates. 

It's a festival thats an incredible value for money and the thing is about festivals, go see someone you wouldn't go pay for at their own gig, try someone new, try a different genre of music, it's what fests are all about. 

Anyway, as mentioned above its a damn shame Keith has taken his own life, seen them 12 times, I wrote on twitter about it yesterday I'm devastated it came to that for him, he alongside Maxim and Liam have played a massive part of the soundtrack of my life, Liam seemed like he had no idea which makes it even more sad, even 24 hours on now it doesn't seem real to me. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Speaking of the cost of day ticket to band, just saw Bloc Party have added a Birmingham date, it's £33.82. Same day at Victorious is £35. They'll be playing pretty much the same set. So in reality if you were a fan of Bloc Party its £1.18 extra to see all the undercard at Victorious. 

Last year it was cheaper to get a Victorious day ticket at any price structure (the very last price, say on day of the fest even) than Paul Weller and Prodigy's own tour dates. 

It's a festival thats an incredible value for money and the thing is about festivals, go see someone you wouldn't go pay for at their own gig, try someone new, try a different genre of music, it's what fests are all about. 

Anyway, as mentioned above its a damn shame Keith has taken his own life, seen them 12 times, I wrote on twitter about it yesterday I'm devastated it came to that for him, he alongside Maxim and Liam have played a massive part of the soundtrack of my life, Liam seemed like he had no idea which makes it even more sad, even 24 hours on now it doesn't seem real to me. 

Agreed on the top section, living as far from it as I do though and an hour from Birmingham it makes a bit more sense.

It's shit about Keith for sure, I was the same when Chester felt it was the only way. Had seen them on most tours since 2003 and their music from about 16 defined a generation for me. Download HT in full was my last gig for them and it couldn't have been a better one. The Prodigy at Glastonbury is something that evaded me though and I'd have felt it very hard to turn that slot down so provided The Killers are playing Saturday and would have been opposite then that would have been difficult.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 10:47 AM, luckysalt said:

Isn’t this some weird logic, 

Every festival in the world could argue the same.

Thet would make every festival great value. They aren’t though. 

16 hours ago, jonnyx said:

Isn’t this some weird logic, 

Every festival in the world could argue the same.

Thet would make every festival great value. They aren’t though. 

I wouldn't say that, most day fests tixs costs more than seeing one of the big bands on the card at their own show. There's a few expectations like Metallica as they are just greedy c**ts, it's fucking £100+ for their Twickenham show.

Value is a difficult one isn’t it?

There are so many factors to take into account, one (that I don’t think has been mentioned yet as is central to how Victorious works) is audience size.

For example is it better value to see, for example, Paul Weller in front of 30,000 people at a festival for £40 or 200 people in a club for £100? 

1 minute ago, rseamer said:

Value is a difficult one isn’t it?

There are so many factors to take into account, one (that I don’t think has been mentioned yet as is central to how Victorious works) is audience size.

For example is it better value to see, for example, Paul Weller in front of 30,000 people at a festival for £40 or 200 people in a club for £100? 

I would rather see a band for £40 at a festival with 30,000 than in a club with 200 people as I think a lot of the time the atmosphere is far better, and for me, that makes it far better value for money :)

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

I would rather see a band for £40 at a festival with 30,000 than in a club with 200 people as I think a lot of the time the atmosphere is far better, and for me, that makes it far better value for money :)

What? I think you've been going to the wrong gigs. :lol: A lot of the casual fans or people just passing at festivals are crap to watch decent acts with. I find most acts tend to be much better at their own gigs. Sound, atmosphere, intimacy. There are some exceptions when I thought a festival show and crowd would be hard to beat. Glastonbury - Rolling Stones and Leeds - Rage Against the Machine stand out for me, but then when you see the likes of Foals at a 220 capacity venue it's a feral atmosphere, you just don't get that at a festival. 

Saying that festivals can be much better value if you like the headliners and some of the undercard 

Edited by JBarbour