Victorious 2019

seanz25

Everyone will have different tastes and see different bands in different lights.

New order were ground breakers, as were the Specials so in that respect they deserve to headline a festival of this size. 

I think that we have witnessed the festival grow year on year and maybe expected more this year. It certainly seems to have reached a plateau this year. 

Being ground breakers alone doesn't make people headliners in 2019. Especially at a festival as big as Victorious. No arena sized band among the headliners is pretty bad. I enjoy them all and expect that they'll all be great, but that's besides the point in a discussion like this. This is a big capacity festival so it should be big ticket selling acts at the top of the bill.

They can only book who is available and as seen elsewhere, there's a complete dearth of headliners across the board this year. Whilst it may be a 65k capacity festival the tickets are still only £95 for the weekend. That line-up is certainly excellent value for money still. They're not going to be able to get a comparatively huge act like The Prodigy etc every year. Those level acts are more in demand than usual this year given the complete lack of stadium sized acts touring. Just look at the IOW headlinerd for evidence that festivals have had to readjust this year. 

New Order and Rudimental headlined the Other Stage at Glastonbury in 2016, using that as a loose measure that puts them in the same ballpark as the likes of Prodigy, Weller etc albeit they're not quite as big. 

• Upvote 3

The Prodigy aren't a "comparatively huge act" by the standards of the last few years for Victorious. Weller was equally big in the same year for example.

I've already said it's a strong lineup as far as the undercard goes and that provides value, but any argument that it has strong headliners needs to be pretty quickly shot down. Because if this is what becomes seen as strong for Victorious, then that's when the standards really WILL slip. And it will be the people making those arguments that are responsible.

48 minutes ago, John L said:

It’s a £100 ticket though - what do people expect. You wouldn’t get a lot of change out of that just to see  two bands like The Specials and New Order at their own shows. 

Exactly that! Look at wilderness festival  - £180 a ticket  - go and check their line up out! it makes Victorious look like Glastonbury!

New order have a set list that could please a festival crowd, the Specials too. 

Rudimental are a good live band but no where near headliners for a festival of this size in my book. 

9 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

The Prodigy aren't a "comparatively huge act" by the standards of the last few years for Victorious. Weller was equally big in the same year for example.

I've already said it's a strong lineup as far as the undercard goes and that provides value, but any argument that it has strong headliners needs to be pretty quickly shot down. Because if this is what becomes seen as strong for Victorious, then that's when the standards really WILL slip. And it will be the people making those arguments that are responsible.

?

Get over yourself. It’s still incredibly good value, even if the headliners are a little weaker this year - saying that’s not controversial, is it? I was on the verge of buying tickets to New Order on their own in Bristol for £50 before it sold out, same for Bloc Party at Ally Pally last year, so this is great for me.

’The people making these arguments that are responsible’ - laughable. The organisers are responsible, and they’ve taken the very reasonable view that this will shift a bunch of tickets, given what’s actually available to book this year. Who are you expecting them to magic up?

Going forward, if the idea is to absolutely load the undercard then it's probably a good idea. Because as I've repeatedly said, that's where the real value is this year and they've loaded it big time, and there's a lot more to come.

But any ideas of these being strong headliners needs to be binned immediately.

3 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

Going forward, if the idea is to absolutely load the undercard then it's probably a good idea. Because as I've repeatedly said, that's where the real value is this year and they've loaded it big time, and there's a lot more to come.

Some festivals can sell by a headliner, but over time that fades and you're less likely to retain customers with a big headliner and less in the day, it's like I've said before it's fine selling a ticket but they want people inside the fest all day to buy booze and food, victorious is a fest where its so easy to slip out and come back, so I think they're trying to improve on that aspect keeping people in the site. 

On a whole for the money you really can't argue the value on offer here. If it's not got you line up wise then it's not. They can't please everyone. 

And as said there's still more to come. I'd like to see people run a fest and make it as successful as victorious had been. 

2 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

No-one is saying that they're huge or strong headliners. It's that for £35 a day they're more than satisfactory and excellent value for money. You can't keep rolling out acts the size of Prodigy and keep a strong undercard for that price. Either the prices go up significantly so bigger headliners can be afforded or you accept that the festival has a limited budget and appeal for headline acts and that they're not all going to be arena-packing bands. 

It seems all the high end acts are there, I was reading a piece on a newspapers site and they said no more high acts to be added, I think the mistake we were seeing on the line up is Sunday has listed the 2 remaining bigger acts alongside Ziggy, so it seems Main is New Order, Vaccines and Razorlight and Castle is Clean Bandit subbed by Tom Grennan. 

So im setting about the clashfinder. Thing is, im a bit uncertain on some acts, so Lewis Capaldi, seems popular? Common Stage or Castle stage? 

18 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Heres a clashfinder I've threw together, last years times. 

Its what im expecting the positions and placings to be but of course acts could get added in.

https://clashfinder.com/s/victorious2019/

After seeing this clashfinder it’s actually highlighted how underwhelming this lineup is and weak. For the price I’ve been to festivals with around the same with better line ups. A lot of disappointment over social media overall from what I’ve seen. Not a patch on the last couple of years. I’m sad to say it. not A specials fan but why they moved them up has ruined my Friday, fancied a strong finish with tdcC as it’s personal taste. Saturday isn’t that banging too. Sunday alright, won’t be at main stage other than vaccines and razor light.

55 minutes ago, KBR1991 said:

After seeing this clashfinder it’s actually highlighted how underwhelming this lineup is and weak. For the price I’ve been to festivals with around the same with better line ups. A lot of disappointment over social media overall from what I’ve seen. Not a patch on the last couple of years. I’m sad to say it. not A specials fan but why they moved them up has ruined my Friday, fancied a strong finish with tdcC as it’s personal taste. Saturday isn’t that banging too. Sunday alright, won’t be at main stage other than vaccines and razor light.

Strange how just 2 acts being swapped around has ruined your Friday, Specials have just had a number 1 album and multiple years in the business over TDCC, they total deserve to be last on the bill. 

I also can't see how me spreading the acts on a clashfinder has made the line up look worse than them being listed on a poster or listed on a line up.

Its obviously personal choice but I think its a strong line up and stronger than last year. 

Think some people are completely unrealistic about what a festival like Victorious can deliver and they need to bring themselves back down to earth, I actually have seen people slag off New Order because they're too old, slag them off because the original singer Peter Hook isn't in the band anymore [he's not the singer], say New Order shouldn't be headliner they should book newer bigger bands like Green Day and Foo Fighters, both of which are insanely big and also over fucking 25 years old. 

A lot of social media is the younger market and its more targeted towards an old audience in general this year id say. So it will seem negative, but i've seen a lot of positive reactions too. 

Come August the place will be absolutely rammed and everyone will have a good time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Strange how just 2 acts being swapped around has ruined your Friday, Specials have just had a number 1 album and multiple years in the business over TDCC, they total deserve to be last on the bill. 

I also can't see how me spreading the acts on a clashfinder has made the line up look worse than them being listed on a poster or listed on a line up.

Its obviously personal choice but I think its a strong line up and stronger than last year. 

Think some people are completely unrealistic about what a festival like Victorious can deliver and they need to bring themselves back down to earth, I actually have seen people slag off New Order because they're too old, slag them off because the original singer Peter Hook isn't in the band anymore [he's not the singer], say New Order shouldn't be headliner they should book newer bigger bands like Green Day and Foo Fighters, both of which are insanely big and also over fucking 25 years old. 

A lot of social media is the younger market and its more targeted towards an old audience in general this year id say. So it will seem negative, but i've seen a lot of positive reactions too. 

Come August the place will be absolutely rammed and everyone will have a good time.

As I said it’s personal taste, for me tdcc was more appealing and would’ve been something I’d be more inclined to watch and be buzzed about the headliner, as I can take or leave the specials. As you said come August no one will really give a shit what the line up is, sun will be shining and the beers flowing. I think my reaction resembles The younger end of the spectrum whereas others on here are the other end... I might think it’s not as good but I’ll find something to watch and have a good time regardless. Imagine next year if it’s full of younger stuff, everyone else will say it’s shite so no ones wrong. I do apologise though, cause I know I’m not necessarily right, my mrs is younger than me and thinks the line ups strong.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

In a sense yes but if they are not to your taste no. Not found any thing even remotely close for £65 to beating Slam Dunk yet.

That’s not a like for like comparison though. Victorious is £100 for 3 days (or £35-ish for a day) compared to Slam Dunk’s £65 for a day.

Also, every festival is either going to be for your taste or it won’t, simple as.

39 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

That’s not a like for like comparison though. Victorious is £100 for 3 days (or £35-ish for a day) compared to Slam Dunk’s £65 for a day.

Also, every festival is either going to be for your taste or it won’t, simple as.

of course but when I compare what I like at both then I still have more and probably will get to see more at SD.