NOS Primavera Sound 2019 (Porto)

young_contra

Just noticed that Pitchfork is no longer  listed as partner of Nos Primavera Sound on their  website.

About the line up, i already didn't enjoy the one from Barcelona, so this is far worse..... Well at least there are some bands i want to see, to make my final goodbye to this festival (until they return to what they once were)

Edited by Tigane

8 minutes ago, Tigane said:

Just noticed that Pitchfork is no longer  listed as partner of Nos Primavera Sound on their  website.

About the line up, i already didn't enjoy the one from Barcelona, so this is far worse..... Well at least there are some bands i want to see, to make my final goodbye to this festival (until they return to what they once were)

Besides this years headliners (both barcelona's and porto's) absolutely nothing changed in this festival. It still has an immense amount of genres and current alternative artists to what most of the other festivals offer. The undercard is sublime with how it mixes that american guitar-indie genre with DJs, a bit of hip-hop an even PC music which is a genre that is rising. I've no compassion for pop, much less reggaeton, being seen as an headliner status here but it's easily passable. Next year things surely will be different from this year's, even if the overall Primavera Sound is still very much present. There's a lack of more recognizable names but so what? With Primavera, who you recognize this year would've been someone you previously would've not recognized so it's always a place for you to explore different music. Yes, it's a bit of a gamble, but that's why it is a superior festival, it doesn't try to recycle bands and play it safe most of the time. I won't lie and say that it is an inferior lineup overall, it obviously is, but it still is superb in comparison to what one would get elsewhere. There's still classic/older acts present too. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, young_contra said:

Besides this years headliners (both barcelona's and porto's) absolutely nothing changed in this festival. It still has an immense amount of genres and current alternative artists to what most of the other festivals offer. The undercard is sublime with how it mixes that american guitar-indie genre with DJs, a bit of hip-hop an even PC music which is a genre that is rising. I've no compassion for pop, much less reggaeton, being seen as an headliner status here but it's easily passable. Next year things surely will be different from this year's, even if the overall Primavera Sound is still very much present. There's a lack of more recognizable names but so what? With Primavera, who you recognize this year would've been someone you previously would've not recognized so it's always a place for you to explore different music. Yes, it's a bit of a gamble, but that's why it is a superior festival, it doesn't try to recycle bands and play it safe most of the time. I won't lie and say that it is an inferior lineup overall, it obviously is, but it still is superb in comparison to what one would get elsewhere. There's still classic/older acts present too. 

It is just opinions.  We both agree that this is an inferior lineup overall, but you can see a great undercard, but i can only see an average undercard. I already tried to listen most of the bands i don't know, and felt in love with some like MorMor or Hop Along, but as in NPS since 2012 to 2017  i struggled really hard to choose the bands i wanted to see, because i really wanted to see almost everything, but since last year, and mostly this year i can only find 3-4 bands  from each day, that i really want to see , with the ones i found curiosity, just being fillers.  Friday will definately be the strong day, but will the that «cancer» j.Balvin...    

Bought a day ticket, going to go on the Friday for James Blake/Interpol and hopefully a couple of others once I listen through the line up. 

Has anyone else bought a day ticket? I know I need to select a day ‘within a month of the day splits being announced’ But there was no option when I bought the ticket, which actually says on the pdf I need to choose a day, and I’ve not been emailed any links/instructions either. 

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, sgreen7643 said:

Hey, can anyone with experience of this fest recommend best places to stay? What is late night/early morning public transport like?

Some people stay in the city centre and travel in and out to the festival, others stay more local in Matosinhos and travel in and out to the city during the day when they want to.

Personally I really like the idea of just strolling home at the end of the night and prefer to stay in Matosinhos. It has plenty of attractions of it's own too, great beach, fab restaurants, etc. The streets off Av. da República have a number of budget hotels and apartments, a site like Booking.com should throw up a few options.

However I haven't heard any complaints about the public transport arrangements from those that have stayed in the centre. There are plenty of extra buses and Metro services put on for the festival.

Public transport in general is great in Porto.

Edited by Suggestives
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, sgreen7643 said:

Hey, can anyone with experience of this fest recommend best places to stay? What is late night/early morning public transport like?

I can give some contrast! We stayed closer to the city centre (near Marquês) since we wanted to make use of the day to see the sights as we hadn't been to Porto before. Getting to the festival was never a problem, really straightforward on the metro as the festival site says. We tended to get an uber back, without surge it was ~8 euros, and took just over 10 minutes at 3am. Since there's football on and more people about, cabs might end up being more expensive though, of course.

• Upvote 1

I can only imagine the schedule clashes this lineup is going to present. In the last day there are like 12/13 artists/bands that I would like to see.

Especially afraid about Built To Spill clashing with Solange or Danny Brown. The bands that will clash with Stereolab will not receive a second thought from me.

And in the last day I really want to see Big Thief and Hop Along, but I'm afraid they will probably clash with some of the bigger names, that are also top notch ?

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, ATS said:

Hi guys, just realised I’m in Porto over the weekend the festival is on. Am I too late to buy a ticket for the Friday? Online info seems sketchy, unless I’m loling in the wrong place. Any help gratefully received ? 

You're not late at all and I doubt you'd ever be! Daily tickets are available right now as daily vouchers on the official website You'll have to exchange your daily voucher for a daily ticket but I'm not sure how that works for someone who's not from this country - I think there's something there that lets you do that exact exchange. Eventually though there'll be daily tickets that are sold just as you'd expect, no need to go through any exchanges though by then those tickets will cost just a little bit more

• 1 month later...

they announced free Fatboy Slim's show in the city centre of Porto not many days before the beginning of the festival...anyway there used to be pre shows in some clubs around the city and after parties on thursday

• Upvote 1

They've had something different on the Wednesday evening each year I've been there. I wasn't going to bother with Fatboy Slim last year but I actually really enjoyed it. They closed of the whole centre of town, with hundreds of people of all ages having fun and no idiots to spoil the party for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing what this year brings.

#porto_ponto_fatboy_slim_primavera_21.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my days!! These schedules are horrendous!! Stereolab v Tommy Cash V LEG; James Blake v JPEGMAFIA; Interpol v Kali Uchis; Courtney Barnett v Sons of Kemet XL; Big Thief v Lucy Dacus v Tomberling; Kate Tempest v Rosalía; Low v Modeselektor - I have never seen this amount of awful clashes!