YNOT 2019

tobydlb

Me and 5 friends are going for the first time in many years (youngest 24 and oldest 30)

Would you advise us camping in the quiet area to avoid all the loud teenagers and thefts etc?

Also I have noticed it says no disposable bbqs despite already buying some?

What are people taking food wise for the 4 days?

Hopefully better since we camped in the quiet area 3 years ago, but it was still really rowdy. The Thursday & Sunday were particularly noisy for a quiet camp site. 

Food wise plenty of half half decent food places when we’ve been, normally around £9 per meal at similar size festivals I’ve been to this year.

Weather looks like will be decent, YNot will be class with the sun out, ENJOY

44 minutes ago, gd44 said:

Me and 5 friends are going for the first time in many years (youngest 24 and oldest 30)

Would you advise us camping in the quiet area to avoid all the loud teenagers and thefts etc?

Also I have noticed it says no disposable bbqs despite already buying some?

What are people taking food wise for the 4 days?

1 hour ago, Dronx said:

Hopefully better since we camped in the quiet area 3 years ago, but it was still really rowdy. The Thursday & Sunday were particularly noisy for a quiet camp site. 

Thats the first night with nothing to do and then the last night so not really unexpected though.

17 hours ago, Dronx said:

Food wise plenty of half half decent food places when we’ve been, normally around £9 per meal at similar size festivals I’ve been to this year.

Weather looks like will be decent, YNot will be class with the sun out, ENJOY

Thanks for the heads up! We will try quiet, see how we get on

Yeah im really looking forward to it now its close enough to see weather forecasts

I'm hoping I'll be too drunk to be bothered about food

2 Day countdown... eeeeeek

Heard some horror stories from Thursday which isn’t ideal on hottest day of the year. Got to car park at 8.30 and tent was set up by 9.30 and felt quite organised this morning. Hoping the thunderstorms either hold off or aren’t too bad and have a good weekend all ??

I've bailed out.

Home again.  The weather gods REALLY must hate YNot. Shame because at least two of my "must-sees" were today. I left at about eleven this morning after waiting to see if the forecast for the afternoon and evening would improve. It didn't, though it might be that the evening will now be "relatively" dry? Light rain as opposed to heavy with thunderstorms! It had rained nearly constantly through Saturday and the paths weren't great as I left the Arena after Two Door Cinema Club finished. It had continued to rain (pretty heavily from the sound on my tent) through the night.

Even at about 11am it wasn't easy getting my car out of the car park, I nearly got stuck a couple times and I was only about 100 yards from and uphill of the exit to a road. On exiting I was sent west even though I needed to east towards Matlock. I managed to navigate myself to Bakewell and thence to Chesterfield to join the M1 for home.

Hope the brave souls who have stopped on have better luck in the morning but I would estimate that at least a third had left before lunch today. Walking out the main track from arena to camping areas to Car Parks had liquid mud running down it despite some wood chips having been applied. From catching up on Twitter it appears that the Arena opened about  three this afternoon so another of my "must-sees" would have gone I guess (Sunflower Bean).

More thoughts after I've had a bath!

Also had to leave this morning, tent was starting to give up and had a few leaks, all my clothes were drenched and I’m not usually one to give in to the weather but that was relentless. Really gutted as a run of sunflower bean, Miles Kane, beans on toast, Wolf Alice and then foals is incredible with no clashes, knew it was too good to be true. Hope everyone who braved it has a good final day!

OK some thoughts now that I feel a little more human.

1. Music for a medium size festival the music was very samey. Pretty much "Indie" in as many flavours as you can think of. There were some obvious exceptions but too many drums+bass+rhythm+lead thrashers. There was certainly enough there for most people to enjoy but I would have liked increased variety. Probably not a festival I would usually attend but two nephews were playing in a band so, it tips the balance.

2. Organisation -  poor at responding to changing circumstances/weather, woodchip appeared to be too little too late. (Obviously I don't know how well they managed to get the Arena sorted this afternoon.) Also when smaller stages were over subscribed the crowds were not managed at all. The Hunna at The Quarry was the worst I experienced. I got into the tent quite easily but more and more people just crushed themselves in. Two songs in I gave up but the crowd outside the tent was just as dense and it took some minutes to extricate myself. There were some kids mixed up in that and it doesn't take much imagination to visualise a disaster if one of them had fallen. The Quarry in particular seemed to attract bigger crowds than it could cope with (I believe Kate Nash was similar) and of course some of this is due to the weather. If it's chucking it down tents suddenly seem attractive.

3. Phone app, really good and helpful, updated with "secret" sets and any schedule alterations in real time. Worked brilliantly.

4. Food, properly lacking in "festival food". McDonalds, Papa Johns and Coca Cola might have made this less attractive to independent traders? Compared to a small local festival I attended earlier this (Northern Kin in Co Durham) it was all a bit samey. Dirty Fries, Burgers, Fish and Chips, Hog Roasts and a few rather unappetising looking others. The Organiser's boast of " mouth watering street food" was not delivered for me, I ate what I ate more for fuel than any other reason. Good coffee stall near the main stage got my business a couple of times. Pizza that I saw (not PJs) looked suspiciously like frozen supermarket pizza (a quid in Tescos, a tenner to you, no thanks)

5. Bars, expensive (about a fiver a pint) but no more than most festivals a good selection of beers and generally easy to get served with the exception of "The Watchtower" which was poorly organised, couldn't take contactless payment (on Friday at least) and a bit shambolic. I might be unfair if they sorted it out later in the weekend but this was Saturday and I didn't go back.

6. Loos, not bad actually, crews kept them pretty well with the exception of the bank of "turdises" above the main stage which were pretty revolting. Ironically the ones BEHIND the main stage were very good and the queues there were much smaller.

7. Crowd, predominantly young but pretty well behaved. The usual knobbers who come stand in front of you and then just arse about and talk through the music, before getting their phones out to record the one song in the set they knew etc. But no trouble that I saw, one fence pisser and one tit flasher (well done young lady). Litter wasn't too bad most people made the effort to put stuff in the bins. Mind the clever basket ball net style receptacle proved to be too much fun, so they had pretty much every kind of rubbish in them you could think of not just the "Plastic Only" requested on the sign.

8. Location. On the face of it good (farmland, favourable slope for viewing the main stage, no neighbours to upset with noise) but after so many years where the weather has affected the festival they may need to look at alternative sites?

9. Camping. plenty of space. I was in "Quietish Camping" and we had good neighbours and no problems even with the torrential rain of Saturday/Sunday. Minor criticism, no lights at the bank of Turdises meant that it wasn't easy to use them after dark. Odd given there were plenty of lights throughout the camping areas but not at the loos.

Will I go back?

Well I think it would depend on the lineup Two nephews and all that. We'll see but I imagine that they might have trouble shifting tickets next year. I wonder if they were already down after the weather problems of recent years?

5 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

OK some thoughts now that I feel a little more human.

1. Music for a medium size festival the music was very samey. Pretty much "Indie" in as many flavours as you can think of. There were some obvious exceptions but too many drums+bass+rhythm+lead thrashers. There was certainly enough there for most people to enjoy but I would have liked increased variety. Probably not a festival I would usually attend but two nephews were playing in a band so, it tips the balance.

8. Location. On the face of it good (farmland, favourable slope for viewing the main stage, no neighbours to upset with noise) but after so many years where the weather has affected the festival they may need to look at alternative sites?

with 1 - its a fully indie festival thats the whole thing really as now the bigger festivals that do indie like R&L, T in the Park and V (pre pop anyway) have gone or changed genre a lot Y Not among others are taking up the market share. Its just the whole thing that its indie really :) there are like dance tents and stuff but you clearly don't mean that hah.

They changed it in 2018 after 2017's shitshow, so I think like theres little more they can do - just unlucky really.

Personally had a great weekend, feel the organisers did a decent job considering the circumstances, also thought the sound at the stages was excellent. My only issues were that the quarry was too small which was odd as it was that size in 2017 where it struggled, was then increased in size in 2018 which improved things so I don’t really understand why they went back to a smaller tent this year. My other issue was that last year through the main camping they had metal board walkways to the arena to prevent the main path getting muddy, if they had these this year it would’ve solved the issue of getting from campsites to the arena. Overall had a great time and can’t wait till next year

I was at Deer Shed , left this morning at 6.00 am and camper straight away got stuck in the mud.

Instead of the usual " Staff take no interest " a chap walked up to me said he had seen me struggle and had radioed my predicament in to HQ , but tractor drivers did not come on shift till 7.30 but I would be first in Q , would I just mind waiting a bit ?

7.20 they knocked on my van to say " tractor was on its way and could I be ready ? "

• Upvote 1

Had a great time. Stuck it out in the rain with a leaking tent as long as I could but our camp ended up packing the cars by 2PM sunday then heading into the arena and leaving after Foals.

My first time at a mid-size campong festival like this and already knowing about 50 people who were going and making friends with countless more across the weekend its mental just how many times you bump into each other I loved it haha.

Definitely worth it despite the weather and if the lineup is decent I'll happily do it again next year.

Was anyone else fortunate enough to bump into the self proclaimed "Pegman"? Without going into too much detail he's an absolute legend haha.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2019 at 12:51 AM, gfa said:

with 1 - its a fully indie festival thats the whole thing really as now the bigger festivals that do indie like R&L, T in the Park and V (pre pop anyway) have gone or changed genre a lot Y Not among others are taking up the market share. Its just the whole thing that its indie really :) there are like dance tents and stuff but you clearly don't mean that hah.

They changed it in 2018 after 2017's shitshow, so I think like theres little more they can do - just unlucky really.

I guess that's true but looking at the line up for Truck (which shared many acts and is a similar size) they seemed to manage a much better selection, at least to me.

On reflection they probably did as good a job as might have been achieved given the weather.

2 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Was anyone else fortunate enough to bump into the self proclaimed "Pegman"?

I must have, as I got "pegged"! :)

2 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

I must have, as I got "pegged"! :)

I'd seen everyone with pegs on them and was very confused haha. Ended up meeting him during Mike Skinner's DJ Set. He was telling me how he'd painted 2019 pegs and was giving them out to people. Lovely guy and we chatted for a while if I remember correctly, although admittedly I don't remember much past 8PM on each of the days!

From what I remember however, both Redlight and Mike Skinner were very very good and I heard Jax Jones was too. Can't knock the late night entertainment at all.

Edited by TheWaters

3 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Had a great time. Stuck it out in the rain with a leaking tent as long as I could but our camp ended up packing the cars by 2PM sunday then heading into the arena and leaving after Foals.

My first time at a mid-size campong festival like this and already knowing about 50 people who were going and making friends with countless more across the weekend its mental just how many times you bump into each other I loved it haha.

Definitely worth it despite the weather and if the lineup is decent I'll happily do it again next year.

Was anyone else fortunate enough to bump into the self proclaimed "Pegman"? Without going into too much detail he's an absolute legend haha.

yes, pegman was one of the highlights of the whole festival!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheWaters said:

this was like what truck was for my year apparently this year. Reading was like this too as three massive groups of 20+ all were in the same part of orange and another big group just over in purple - was weird to be honest but kinda cool