Booze

robith

What you packing yo? 

Forgive me it's my first camping festival since Glastonbury 2011, so I'm super excited for a festival where I can rock some good stuff of my own.

Craft tinnies, cos I'm a luxury bitch. Love beavertown but will probably go elsewhere since they're at the fest and I can get it draft. Probably big hoppy IPAs.

Red wine - some lovely, and a couple of cheap temparillos for kalimotxos

Hard stuff - got plenty of whiskey at home, but might got with the auld Woodford Reserve as a livener

Buy beer there, cos there’s a great range and carrying it on public transport is a pain in the arse. I’ve got a bottle of decent rum, bottle of rhubarb gin, and a couple of litres of nasty Russian vodka for some early morning bloody marys. Another of our group usually brings a few litres of homemade cocktails. Will pick up mixers and trimmings in Salisbury.

5 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Buy beer there, cos there’s a great range and carrying it on public transport is a pain in the arse. I’ve got a bottle of decent rum, bottle of rhubarb gin, and a couple of litres of nasty Russian vodka for some early morning bloody marys. Another of our group usually brings a few litres of homemade cocktails. Will pick up mixers and trimmings in Salisbury.

I hear this is on special offer in Salisbury
Liquor company slammed for releasing 'Novichok' vodka ...

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I hear this is on special offer in Salisbury
Liquor company slammed for releasing 'Novichok' vodka ...

Hehehe , my missus is flying in from Russia to come to eotr, i’m half tempted to get to her to wear a hazmat suit and ramp up the Russian accent. We’ll definitely get a seat on the train down to Salisbury

24 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

Just to remind folk that one thing you can't take onto the site is GLASS.

do you think we're amateurs bruv? I jest of course, but red wine breathes in the plastic bottles with a bit of space anyway so it's win win

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Will be buying red wine en route and whiskey of some sort.

Can one buy a Bloody Mary at EOTR?

I'm sure I got one at a silver bus at the back of the Garden Stage, next to the other main bar. It was bloody lovely and about £8, so this year I'm mixing my own :-)

22 minutes ago, paulwa said:

I'm sure I got one at a silver bus at the back of the Garden Stage, next to the other main bar. It was bloody lovely and about £8, so this year I'm mixing my own ?

Ill cough up for it. Otherwise Ill have to bring tomato juice, vodka, lemons (and a knife), celery salt, black pepper, tabasco, worcestershire and paprika all for a warm Bloody Mary. 

Hardly worth it for 24 quid across the weekend. 

I'm normally a cider lout but I drank so much of the stuff at Green Man that I never want to see it again.

Looking for a change for EOTR. 

Fancy perhaps a nice hoppy IPA. Any recommendations for something fairly strong, in 440/500ml tinnies, and not stupidly priced?

Can't be doing with those hipster-trendy mouthful sized cans, that cost as I'm used to paying for a pint in the pub.

For the evenings, I'll be taking the chill off with some Barti Ddu seaweed spiced rum

Edited by Suggestives

16 hours ago, The Nal said:

Ill cough up for it. Otherwise Ill have to bring tomato juice, vodka, lemons (and a knife), celery salt, black pepper, tabasco, worcestershire and paprika all for a warm Bloody Mary. 

Hardly worth it for 24 quid across the weekend. 

I'm going with vodka, tomato juice and this stuff. I've seen plenty of good reviews for it, so will give it a bash.

1 hour ago, Suggestives said:

I'm normally a cider lout but I drank so much of the stuff at Green Man that I never want to see it again.

Looking for a change for EOTR. 

Fancy perhaps a nice hoppy IPA. Any recommendations for something fairly strong, in 440/500ml tinnies, and not stupidly priced?

Can't be doing with those hipster-trendy mouthful sized cans, that cost as I'm used to paying for a pint in the pub.

For the evenings, I'll be taking the chill off with some Barti Ddu seaweed spiced rum

For a full size can and hoppy flavour, I can think of Adnams Ghost Ship (4.5%) and Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold (4.2%).

For draught beer at the festival, head for the Beavertown bar. Their stuff will fit the bill taste-wise, especially Lupaloid, but it'll also hit your wallet I'm afraid. A slightly cheaper option might be to head for the real ale tent and look out for anything with American IPA or Citra (a punchy hop variety) in the title.

Edited by paulwa

25 minutes ago, paulwa said:

I'm going with vodka, tomato juice and this stuff. I've seen plenty of good reviews for it, so will give it a bash.

Similar to us, yeah. We generally buy a few bottles of 'Big Tom', from the Sainsbury's in Salisbury. it's a spiced tomato juice designed for BMs. Does the trick pretty well. Although one year, we foolishly bought this. Horrific. 

clamato-original-on.thumb.png.f0272a598bb5f5f12c111715a302c154.png

12 hours ago, paulwa said:

For a full size can and hoppy flavour, I can think of Adnams Ghost Ship (4.5%) and Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold (4.2%).

For draught beer at the festival, head for the Beavertown bar. Their stuff will fit the bill taste-wise, especially Lupaloid, but it'll also hit your wallet I'm afraid. A slightly cheaper option might be to head for the real ale tent and look out for anything with American IPA or Citra (a punchy hop variety) in the title.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll certainly give them a try.

I'll definitely be  sampling the Beavertown products too. I generally spend more at the EOTR bars compared with other festivals as the offering are so good and in gratitude for their more flexible policy that allows me to bring my own when time is too precious to spend queuing.

I just remembered reading this a while back...

We’re also proud to host Beavertown Brewery for the third year running at End Of The Road this year, with all their sublime beer and ill behaviour. The Beaver Bar will return with the craft beers you know and love, with Gamma Ray, 8 Ball, Smog Rocket and festival favourite Lupuloid all making appearances, as well as Neck Oil available on draft at The Black Crow bar for the first time. 

I think this is the bar by the Woods stage. Good news. More info on the bars here: http://endoftheroadfestival.com/food-drink/drink/

Bringing some craft cans; Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Beavertown (Sapling which will hopefully not be on the Beavertown bar because it'd be annoying to cart a duplicate beer some 250 miles) but not many cans as got dad duties. The real ale stuff is always decent and fairly reasonably priced anyway so i never bring a lot of my own. I'll probably be reasonably sensible and stick to hot cider from cider bus as a night time treat. Though Brandy and a hip flask has been a favourite in the past.

I did a lot of the hot cider 10 years ago and have grown to dislike the stuff (and especially its effects), so I totally agree that hip flask brandy is the way to go. It used to be beer all the way, but I got fed up of nipping off for a slash. Age eh? 

• Like 1