Belle and Sebastian present the Boaty Weekender

Johndenis

http://www.theboatyweekender.com

Is anybody seriously considering this?  I admit I am morbidly fascinated, a bit like how you might look at a car crash, then be disappointed by yourself.  Just can't see 2,000 people stumping up for it.

By all accounts the Weezer cruises have been very good and featured great band line ups.  https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2012/feb/06/weezer-cruise

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The original Bowlie weekender, and the subsequent run of All Tomorrows Parties festivals, all attracted a lot of seemingly wealthy new-media types as well as the rest of us scumbags.  And despite the sad/controversial demise, there's still a huge amount of nostalgia out there for these festivals - it was easily the most fun I've had at festivals.  I reckon promoting this is a reasonable gamble for the organisers to take.  If I had vast amounts of money spare, and it wasn't going to be way too hot for me, I'd definitely consider this. 

I'll follow this one with interest, and I hope it works out for them - many of the bands were ATP stalwarts and I'd like to think they could all get back together like in the good old days.  However, I reckon they'd have been better off copying their old business model - i.e. hiring a cruise ship out of season and doing a cheaper, winter event.   (Although I'm not sure there is such thing as 'out of season' for cruise ships, because they presumably tend to sail to wherever it's hot...)

• 11 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, Mark E. Spliff said:

The original Bowlie weekender, and the subsequent run of All Tomorrows Parties festivals, all attracted a lot of seemingly wealthy new-media types as well as the rest of us scumbags.  And despite the sad/controversial demise, there's still a huge amount of nostalgia out there for these festivals - it was easily the most fun I've had at festivals.  I reckon promoting this is a reasonable gamble for the organisers to take.  If I had vast amounts of money spare, and it wasn't going to be way too hot for me, I'd definitely consider this. 

I'll follow this one with interest, and I hope it works out for them - many of the bands were ATP stalwarts and I'd like to think they could all get back together like in the good old days.  However, I reckon they'd have been better off copying their old business model - i.e. hiring a cruise ship out of season and doing a cheaper, winter event.   (Although I'm not sure there is such thing as 'out of season' for cruise ships, because they presumably tend to sail to wherever it's hot...)

Bumping this as I'm interested to hear how it went.  Does anyone know?  If it was a success and they run another, I will likely pay up and attend.  Footage I saw of Camera Obscura's set looked like attendance might have been touch and go (you would expect CO to pull 3/4 of the folk on board?  But the crowd in attendance looked well short of 2000).  Django Django seemed to have a very small crowd indeed but folk might have been knickered by that point.  Have no idea how many punters they would have needed aboard to make it viable.

• 2 weeks later...