Bearded Theory 2019

Gnomicide

I thought Suede were somewhat disappointing and had lost a big chunk of the crowd before the end... although tbf I didn’t invest much time in checking their set list and just relied on the fact that I knew a few ‘big’ songs... failed strategy as they either fucked about with them or didn’t do them....

on the other hand, Editors were surprisingly excellent and Oh Sees smashed it (I knew little of them and the whole drumming thing was captivating)

Wildwood Kin did a good job in Woodland (not the strength of harmony of The Staves but still..) and young Katy Hurt did a great country set (from Leann Rimes, Shania, to full on Dolly twang..). The young lady has had an amazing set of pipes!

agreed parking was faultless (well done BT!) but there seems less toilets in the CV field this year.. weather, blissful to date.. bars exceptional.. a great start.!

Hello. 

Quick question. Does ANYONE know which bar has the Bakewell Tart cider?!? I have asked, i think, everywhere. And cannot find the mystical beverage. I think, maybe, i must have missed a small bar somewhere.... 

Any helo is appreciated. Ta. X

Well, I have seen 15 bands across 3 days at a cost of about £8:60 a pop....

In the case of Little Steven that works out at 57p per band member ?

highlights for me : Editors, Oh Sees, Katy Hurt, Easy Star All Stars, Slow Readers Club, Las Vegas Little Steven.....

absolute standout : The simply marvellous Doves.... (their first festival for 10 years)

Well done BT.... What a top festival.!

• Upvote 2

Really enjoyed it again. On the coach back to Manchester now. Had a good laugh, a fair old drink and seen some great bands. Personal highlights were probably Dana Immanuel and the Stolen Band and Doves. Superb. Special mention for the bloke with dreads and a beard dancing at the pirate ship. He should be on stage.

Highlight band for me was last nights The Bloodshake Chorus in Maui Waui...

Shattered but definately one of the best and the crowd were all really sound with no trouble from anyone and many examples of random acts of support and kindness - a pleasure to steward you all!

Bearded definately has a winning formula now.

Another great year, had a blast. The weather was kind to us yet again, liked the new layout a lot, maybe not as may must sees for me this year but still saw some amazing sets.

Little Steven took me to church, stunning show, what a band he has.

I loved The Cult but Sonic Temple is my favourite album of theirs so it was ideal for me but I could understand how the setlist would lose a lot of people. 

Really chuffed to see some of the younger bands putting in great sets, particularly Heavy Lungs and The Blinders, the future is not lost.

Honourable mentions for SLF, Orphan Colours, Reef, the bassist from Steel Pulse, @Avalon_Fields (who everyone agreed was a lovely bloke), Doves, Zombie Met Girl and Pulled Apart By Horses.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Home, sleepy, still smiling.

Excellent weekend.

Problems, what problems...... apart from maybe  a proof reader needed for the programme (I offer my services free of charge).

Just fantastic.

Ah yes... the proof reading... it will certainly wind up the pedants among us. ?

Fantastic weekend. So many great bands - Doves, Little Steven, Goldwater,  Reef, Lottery Winners, Idlewild,  Henge, loads more but these are the ones that spring to mind. 

Also no queues at the bars, decent food (who knew a toastie could be so fucking delicious) and just lovely people to chat to and chill with. 

Must add that the Maui Waui tent has come fabulous acts on. As does the Showcasing tent. (Didn't make the tea tent this year but am sure that did too.) Such a choice of acts. Never had any time where I was lost for something to do.

Bring on 2020!

Amazing weekend, as always.

Stand outs - The Lottery Winners, what a front man!, Broken Bones Matilda and the Bloodshake Chorus. 

Still the best value festival in the country.

I loved most of the improvements but felt that Maui Waui had become too small, I'm sure that it was bigger in previous years.

First date in the diary for next year

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

@Avalon_Fields (who everyone agreed was a lovely bloke), Doves, Zombie Met Girl and Pulled Apart By Horses.

Lovely bloke!? I was a little concerned I was seen as the Thingy-Stalker, hunting you down, and fully expected you to dispose of  your flags to deter other unexpected visitors.

Anyway, great to meet you and your gang. Thank you

30 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Lovely bloke!? I was a little concerned I was seen as the Thingy-Stalker, hunting you down, and fully expected you to dispose of  your flags to deter other unexpected visitors.

:D

They were just a little confused as apart from one, none of them had a clue what The Thingy is.

Got back about midday. First Bearded Theory so had no idea what to expect. Small but perfectly formed and has the festival vibe I like (not always the case with some small festivals). 

Made it to the Woodlands in time for the Efestivals meet but with a disgruntled child in tow rapidly ended up in parent mode rather than trying to meet anyone. Popped by Oxfam to buy the obligatory hat (but couldn't see anyone that might be Losing my hair).

Plenty of good food choices, weather was good. Bandwise just wondered about and saw whatever I found at the time. From memory I enjoyed Faithless (Sister Bliss), Editors, Reef, Little Steven, Lottery Winners but I saw other part sets and random bands that entertained.

Loved the Woodland area, reminded me a bit (inevitably) of the Glade.

And there was virtually no litter. Even last night, last band in the woodlands, the Skatalites, there was a handful of cans on the ground but that was more or less it. Might be down to the demographic, but most people seemed to find it no problem to walk the few feet to a bin. Or it might be down to the reusable plastic glasses but either way its a noticeable contrast to Glastonbury. 

Might just be o2 but did anyone else have near zero phone coverage for most of the festival? Meeting up was doing by looking for someone rather than texting.

This was our littluns first festival. It took him a couple of days to get used to the crowd and find his feet but by the end he was much happier and wasn't asking to go back home or to the van. Which is good as he has Glastonbury in a month, so at least he has some idea of what to expect even though the scale may still be a problem.

7 hours ago, elgatonegrofabricwardrobe said:

Special mention for the bloke with dreads and a beard dancing at the pirate ship

Definitely. Saw him last night dancing over a slightly bemused reclining punter who couldn't quite work out if he was supposed to be amused or concerned. 

I had no expectations about BT, but it turned out to be a great few days and I'd like to think I'll get back there next year.

2 hours ago, glastonburynoodles said:

Amazing weekend, as always.

Stand outs - The Lottery Winners, what a front man!, Broken Bones Matilda and the Bloodshake Chorus. 

Still the best value festival in the country.

I loved most of the improvements but felt that Maui Waui had become too small, I'm sure that it was bigger in previous years.

First date in the diary for next year

It was just less visited due to previous location. Now it is on the corner between Pallet and Woodland people walk by and stay

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

:D

They were just a little confused as apart from one, none of them had a clue what The Thingy is.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Hence their puzzled expressions as I worshiped at your feet!

I missed all worshipping - but was near by at 5.30 on Thursday but had no idea who or what to look for and saw nobody looking like.................Dog.jpg.3d5f0ed4ec6d25823eac582de1508447.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Got back about midday. First Bearded Theory so had no idea what to expect. Small but perfectly formed and has the festival vibe I like (not always the case with some small festivals). 

Made it to the Woodlands in time for the Efestivals meet but with a disgruntled child in tow rapidly ended up in parent mode rather than trying to meet anyone. Popped by Oxfam to buy the obligatory hat (but couldn't see anyone that might be Losing my hair).

Plenty of good food choices, weather was good. Bandwise just wondered about and saw whatever I found at the time. From memory I enjoyed Faithless (Sister Bliss), Editors, Reef, Little Steven, Lottery Winners but I saw other part sets and random bands that entertained.

Loved the Woodland area, reminded me a bit (inevitably) of the Glade.

And there was virtually no litter. Even last night, last band in the woodlands, the Skatalites, there was a handful of cans on the ground but that was more or less it. Might be down to the demographic, but most people seemed to find it no problem to walk the few feet to a bin. Or it might be down to the reusable plastic glasses but either way its a noticeable contrast to Glastonbury. 

Might just be o2 but did anyone else have near zero phone coverage for most of the festival? Meeting up was doing by looking for someone rather than texting.

This was our littluns first festival. It took him a couple of days to get used to the crowd and find his feet but by the end he was much happier and wasn't asking to go back home or to the van. Which is good as he has Glastonbury in a month, so at least he has some idea of what to expect even though the scale may still be a problem.

Definitely. Saw him last night dancing over a slightly bemused reclining punter who couldn't quite work out if he was supposed to be amused or concerned. 

I had no expectations about BT, but it turned out to be a great few days and I'd like to think I'll get back there next year.

Hi DVB, sorry to have missed you but thanks for calling in anyway, hope you liked your hat.  This was the shop's second time at BT and it went really well, long time BTers seemed to think that the shop is a positive addition to the festival and everybody seemed to be having a really great time.

It was my first BT and I loved it, particularly loved the Something Else Tea Tent -  Muddy Summers And The Dirty Field Whores were excellent in there. Also a shout out for The Blinders - new to me but I loved their set.

The after party last night got very messy when we ended up creating our own beards with noodles - there were a few sore heads this morning whilst packing up the shop.

noodle beards.jpg

That was an amazing weekend! I looked for you all at the Efests meet but it was rammed for Beans and I simply had to be at the front ish ?. I’ve survived on less than 12 hours sleep over the 4 days, mainly due to the Magic Teapot being brilliant! Can’t wait to visit it at Glastonbury. I’ve got to say BT is definitely my favourite festival. I am officially broken so it’s an early night for me.

@Nobody Interesting it was really lovely to see you and Mrs NI, you’re both looking so well. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

That was an amazing weekend! I looked for you all at the Efests meet but it was rammed for Beans and I simply had to be at the front ish ?. I’ve survived on less than 12 hours sleep over the 4 days, mainly due to the Magic Teapot being brilliant! Can’t wait to visit it at Glastonbury. I’ve got to say BT is definitely my favourite festival. I am officially broken so it’s an early night for me.

@Nobody Interesting it was really lovely to see you and Mrs NI, you’re both looking so well. 

Ditto you too........................ I may have slightly over imbibed on Thursday, not that anyone would have noticed

My first Bearded. Overall had a great time, was really impressed by the organisation, the cleanliness and respectful behaviour of the festival goers (very little litter, nobody pissing everywhere, nobody totally off their face), good range of music. It did seem to take a couple of days for people to relax and warm up though. The atmosphere on Sunday was brilliant, people laughing and chatting, whereas Friday and Saturday it seemed a bit glum. Weather was really fortunate. Hope to go again.

1 hour ago, Mike J said:

There's alot of love for this festival on here, unfortunately I couldn't go this year due to work. Checked next years rota and I'm off, so with all the positive comments, I'm definitely going to be there. 

Mike I can assure you there’s nothing not to love. The staff and organisation are top notch, there’s a good range of food and drink, music is banging, it’s quite cheap for tickets, and the punters are happy happy people. I didn’t witness one piece of litter leaving this morning. I will most certainly my be buying tickets as soon as they come out. 

38 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Mike I can assure you there’s nothing not to love. The staff and organisation are top notch, there’s a good range of food and drink, music is banging, it’s quite cheap for tickets, and the punters are happy happy people. I didn’t witness one piece of litter leaving this morning. I will most certainly my be buying tickets as soon as they come out. 

Superb, I'll be doing the same. Any idea when tickets are released?