Bearded Theory 2019

Gnomicide

Ah, ok. I'm from London so I'm only use to seeing grey concrete or black roads rather than flowers and grass.

Nice review but besides Beans On Toast all of the bands I would have seen like Stiff Little Fingers, Skatalites, Dreadnaughts etc weren't mentioned tho.

I loved Bearded and fully enjoyed many different things that other people probably didn’t. I’ve been going to festivals for over 30 years and the diversity, choice, differences are what makes festivals great. If we all wanted the same thing there would be no need for other stages.

im sorry but I felt the review simplified one persons experience. To call the Magic Tea Pot punters morons is very narrow minded and unfair.  My opinion granted, but each to their own fella....seeing idiots mosh pitting during the Oh Sees whilst kids were in the vicinity is moronic - no reference to that I see.

All in all, Bearded offers a lot to different people. Is it V? Is it Latitude? 

For me it’s my new highlight other than Glastonbury and one I feel so lucky to have stumbled on.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, fluff164 said:

im sorry but I felt the review simplified one persons experience. To call the Magic Tea Pot punters morons is very narrow minded and unfair.  My opinion granted, but each to their own fella....seeing idiots mosh pitting during the Oh Sees whilst kids were in the vicinity is moronic - no reference to that I see.

It's exactly what you said - one person's experience. That's all a review can ever be.

I've no idea personally whether I'd think the same as he did about that, but he's allowed an opinion on it same as you. Whether or not he saw the mosh idiots you mention I've no idea, but if he didn't he couldn't mention it.

Apart from what he says about the Magic Tea Pot the review is very positive - it's not like it reads like a hatchet job (if it had done as editor I'd have challenged him about it).

7 hours ago, fluff164 said:

I loved Bearded and fully enjoyed many different things that other people probably didn’t. I’ve been going to festivals for over 30 years and the diversity, choice, differences are what makes festivals great. If we all wanted the same thing there would be no need for other stages.

For me it’s my new highlight other than Glastonbury and one I feel so lucky to have stumbled on.

I thought the review was excellent especially of Mr Marcaille.

This issue of the Magic Tea Pot and those camped near by  was raised last year , luckily we camp in Oaklands so it does not affect us , but to those that happen to be camped near it , I can understand their frustration.

Did they not say they were going to cut the hours and improve the professionalism of the muscians and move it away from the camp sites ?

The Magic Tea Pot does remind me sometimes of a bawdy ale house in London in the 19c.  I went in once in the early hours on the Friday I think and it was Ok as i got chatting to a bloke about motor bikes who used to be a roadie for Queen.  That night it was a Bohemian Rhapsody sing along , I know i could not be bothered to go in other nights and used the excuse of " I am not sitting in there to hear Wonderwall all night  " so the review did make me chuckle.

So yes people in the CV fields will wonder what all the fuss is about , but those camped near by and wanting a decent nights sleep may agree with the review.

I dont know why but the Teapot always reminds me of The Queen is Dead " Take me back to dear old blighty " , perhaps that is where i get bawdy ale house from !!

I forgot to say can Fluff164 be reserved a tent space within 8 feet of the Magic Teapot ?

And i have a year to perfect a Suppers Ready sing along ! 

?

I know the T Pot thing is enjoyed by some but I just don't get why it needs to be in the campsite. They stopped the all night bongos after complaints from last year which was a Godsend but I doubt many would miss it if it's never seen again or at least moved into the arena. All a bit gap year to me.

I had a similar experience to the Teapot thing at Beautiful days a few years ago. Every night, a group of older teenagers would come back to their tents and sit with their own speaker on until about 8am. It was really annoying and has made me change where I camp at the festival.

But to hear that this Teapot thing is actually put on by Bearded makes it a little strange.

To be honest, the complaints about the Teapot seem a bit weird to me. It's an exaggerated example but it's like going to Glastonbury, camping in Park Home next to Arcadia and then complaining about all the fire and lightning going on next door. Yes, it'll be annoying if you don't want it, but given that it's easily avoided to be blunt it's largely your own fault for choosing that particular spot. This is especially true at Bearded where the campsites are a lot more spacious than most festivals so even late arrivals can find a good spot elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, fluff164 said:

How could he have written about about Pulled Apart By Horses if he was at The Oh Sees?

I take your point on the teapot punters though - he has been very cwuel to them. If you read his review last year you'll get the impression we got a grouchier Paul Champion this time round - not sure why ;)

Edited by kerplunk

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's exactly what you said - one person's experience. That's all a review can ever be.

Indeed, I was camped with Paul but not so affected by the teapot to our right as he was - my review would have contained harsh words about the coffee stall to our left that turned it's music system on at 7.30 in the morning.

41 minutes ago, incident said:

To be honest, the complaints about the Teapot seem a bit weird to me. It's an exaggerated example but it's like going to Glastonbury, camping in Park Home next to Arcadia and then complaining about all the fire and lightning going on next door. Yes, it'll be annoying if you don't want it, but given that it's easily avoided to be blunt it's largely your own fault for choosing that particular spot. This is especially true at Bearded where the campsites are a lot more spacious than most festivals so even late arrivals can find a good spot elsewhere.

Yes that's all true, though I'm not sure how easy it would have been to find a space for all our tents as I didn't carry out a full survey. We were surprised by how full it was when we arrived early afternoon Thursday and there wasn't enough empty space around our usual spot (at the same end of the field but over the other side of the path to the teapot) so we ended up there, not unknowingly about the MT I should add - I remembered the complaints from last year and warned our group about it before we setup.

1 hour ago, incident said:

I presume not everyone would be aware about the Teapot , especially if you had not read the thread in the past . My friend working at Oxfam when asked for quiet camping guided them away from that area , but not every one  bothers to ask where to camp.

Edited by ivan

28 minutes ago, ivan said:

I presume not everyone would be aware about the Teapot , especially if you had not read the thread in the past . My friend working at Oxfam when asked for quiet camping guided them away from that area , but not every one  bothers to ask where to camp.

Even without specific knowledge of the Teapot - anyone including a first timer should have easily been able to guess that it would be by far the noisiest part of the campsite - given that it was right next to the arena entrance, a 24 hour shop, a bar, a coffee place, and possibly something I forget right now.

Really, no sympathy here.

• Upvote 1

I love the line " packed an axe to smash that miserable little shack to pieces" :lol: ...... I make sure I'm as far away as possible from there as you know people are going to be talking, making noise of some description lol

I echo what someone said above being surprised how full campsite was in Walton woods early afternoon, but we just managed to squeeze in a spot in the bottom corner near the fence of accessibility camping. Will say a lot of people set up and fence off "gardens" with wind breakers, which does sometime make it hard to get out and probably why space fills up

I loved the festival, the general vibe and most things about it, but the no glass rule was widely ignored - I asked somebody to leave the Oxfam shop when they came in carrying a glass wine bottle, they had no idea that the no glass rule existed. Walking through the site on Monday morning there was broken glass on the ground; they will need to address this or risk upsetting their landlords.

Ok probably needs re-messaging to everyone, but tbh I didn't notice much glass this year. 

It's part of the T&Cs as you are probably aware, maybe mentioning it at time of purchase and also email mailshot nearer the time too would help.

Edited by Paul ™

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

Ok probably needs re-messaging to everyone, but tbh I didn't notice much glass this year. 

It's part of the T&Cs as you are probably aware, maybe mentioning it at time of purchase and also email mailshot nearer the time too would help.

At Glastonbury one year I saw a mature woman being relieved of the worlds longest bread knives and biggest glass jar of Helmans by a security guard .  You can have all the T n C’s but some will chose to ignore em.

I still chuckle to this day about that.  I just heard a security guard say  “ I’m sorry love you can’t bring that in “ as what looked like a sabre being lifted out of a cool box .

On 6/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, ivan said:

I forgot to say can Fluff164 be reserved a tent space within 8 feet of the Magic Teapot ?

And i have a year to perfect a Suppers Ready sing along ! 

?

Gladly! I’ll happily sing till 6am with the others (“,)