Bearded Theory 2019

Gnomicide

Really good festival, I thought. Getting in was a breeze, campsites not too cramped, good beers and great prices, excellent food selection. 

The music was magnificent, especially Suede, Editors, Oh Sees, Steel Pulse, Heavy Lungs and Slow Readers. I had pegged Idlewild as set of the weekend though, until Little Steven blew me away. What an inspired booking! 

What a great festival! First time for me, I was with Oxfam, with Mrs C who went last year. Have to say the festival has a fantastic vibe about it and the punters are so nice. Everyone we came across the whole weekend as stewards were great fun, were really going for it big time, but were respectful (well mostly ?).

Doves were the highlight for me, not expected but smashed it. Oh See’s and Heartbreakers whilst not my normal thing were great. Honourable mention for Little Stevie who threw the kitchen sink at it. A bit cheesy for my tastes mind.

tried to meet up on Thursday at 5.30 in Woodlands but couldn’t make out the E festers group as it was so busy. Stood by the bar in the end to watch Beans. But did catch up with fellow Oxfam’ers @Pinhead and @Losing my hair which was nice.

Hopefully see you more Efesters at festivals to come this summer, Glastonbury, Latitude, Boomtown or Beautiful Days.

Will be at BT again next year for sure! 

You know its going to be a great festival when the stewards are too laid back to put your wrist bands on and ask that you put them on yourself .

Then I  was in stitches when my partner put hers on ( by herself ) then moaned it was on too tight ! 

19 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Might just be o2 but did anyone else have near zero phone coverage for most of the festival? Meeting up was doing by looking for someone rather than texting.

I am on 02 and it was useless throughout  the festival , even early morning which is usually a good time to call out . Its  no great problem but i wanted to send folks not there the odd picture of bands and i send my mate pictures of portable generators ( don't ask ) , but none got out .

My partner is on Vodaphone and she could use her phone but coverage not great ,  but at least her phone could call and receive 

1 hour ago, incident said:

EE was broadly OK by festival standards - always a decent signal, data was generally available but slow with an occasion drop out.

Yeah, I had certain good spots where I had to keep visiting. I was busy sorting out my own music stuff over the weekend so had to be on as much as possible.

Sorry the meet point was too busy to catch anyone, and I also arrived 10-15 min late! 

2 weeks on site and now back in reality, loved this year and glad for all the positive comments.

What a brilliant festival it is, so proud of the organisers, crew, volunteers and especially you lot that come and make it what it is.... I had an amazing time! 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Thanks for those.

It's not just for meeting up with people that's an issue, it is also  because the is no point in making sure our child has a wristband with our phone numbers on if we can't be contacted. I think I'll take an EE PAYG sim with next time.

As the people in the welfare tent said to me on Sunday morning (after my lovely Mariachi breakfast at the Hurley Burley Cafe ?), those who put wristbands on their children are the least likely to lose them! But the irony of no signal wasn’t lost on us either. We just kept pointing the welfare tent out to our two each time we passed it in the hope they’d remember to go there. 

13 hours ago, bunique said:

As the people in the welfare tent said to me on Sunday morning (after my lovely Mariachi breakfast at the Hurley Burley Cafe ?), those who put wristbands on their children are the least likely to lose them! But the irony of no signal wasn’t lost on us either. We just kept pointing the welfare tent out to our two each time we passed it in the hope they’d remember to go there. 

My friend worked for Oxfam and during Suedes set  she was asked to go and look in the crowd for a missing 3 year old girl .  Thats all the information she was given.  Missing children seemed to be the biggest issue whilst she was on shift  even in the CV fields and the childrens area .  Followed by festival goers unable to find their caravans , campers or cars !

10 hours ago, ivan said:

Followed by festival goers unable to find their caravans , campers or cars !

That was me on Saturday morning. One of our party broke her finger and suspected broken hand after demonstrating a yoga move to my 8 year old after a few gins ? so had to walk them to find our car to go to minor injuries (easier than getting their camper back out). It was a very frantic few minutes pacing up and down clicking the key hoping to hear the car unlock!

I was surprised how busy the festival still was at the close on Sunday evening.

A lot of festivals tend to be noticeably quieter late Sunday as people leave early for whatever reason , but not Beardy 

5 minutes ago, ivan said:

I was surprised how busy the festival still was at the close on Sunday evening.

A lot of festivals tend to be noticeably quieter late Sunday as people leave early for whatever reason , but not Beardy 

I guess it helps that the Monday is a bank holiday so some people won't have to use an extra day's leave.