Bearded Theory 2019

Gnomicide

20 hours ago, generationgav said:

Any tips on first camping festival with a toddler (16 months old)

We're pretty chilled overall and don't expect to see everything and everybody we want to, but would really love to see Suede! Our 4th BT, but 1st ever festival with a toddler.

Our little 'un is 3 and has been going to camping festivals since she was born...loves it!

A buggy with a decent rain cover is probably the best advice I can suggest...if they get knackered and want to crash they can go to sleep and you can watch whatever you like (although was difficult getting into the Woodland you will have no problem watching Suede on the main stage)

One of the highlights of my life was having the babby on my shoulders going absolutely batshit crazy to Flaming Lips and Chemical Brothers at Bluedot last year!   

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, generationgav said:

We're pretty chilled overall and don't expect to see everything and everybody we want to, but would really love to see Suede! Our 4th BT, but 1st ever festival with a toddler.

I find a 'puddlesuit' is a really good idea. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

A buggy with a decent rain cover is probably the best advice I can suggest...if they get knackered and want to crash they can go to sleep and you can watch whatever you like (although was difficult getting into the Woodland you will have no problem watching Suede on the main stage)

10 minutes ago, man next door said:

I find a 'puddlesuit' is a really good idea. 

Thanks for the advise.

I've done enough festivals I don't mind chilling near the back. Honestly BT isn't the best line up this year for me, but I think that's only going to help things as it means there's more chill out time (done festivals where I wanted to see everything, amazing but knackering!) 
Idlewild on Sat night is the only one I'd like to see which I think we'll end up missing, but that's not an issue at all. 

We've got a 'puddlesuit' and we're going to get her first pair of wellies this weekend! I think The HotPots on Sunday are going to be a hightlight.

On that note, are the Red Barrows not there this year?

19 hours ago, generationgav said:

Hey.

Never been to BT before, but been taking our 2 3/4 year old to festivals  since she was 1. Our first BT will be her fifth festival. My main tip would be do not expect to see EVERYTHING you wanna see, which you appear to know already! :)

Its kinda hard to go into too many specifics (you can DM me if you have any queries of detail), and all kids are different. So my experience might differ wildly to yours or anyones. BUT......the main piece of advice is try not to get too 'het up' about it. We wanted to get back to festivaling ASAP. But, when it got close to the first festival, we did start to worry if we were doing the right thing (esp. as our daughter has complex medical issues which are way too boring to go into). We shouldnt have worried. Our kid coped exceptionally well. She slept outside in a tent well, she liked the lights, she had a ball. 

So.....yeah. Again, all kids are different. So let your child determine how well you cope. But, to be honest, I think most kids are WAY more resilient than we think they are going to be.

Also, three things you will need. Firstly, a buggy with big wheels. We had a bugaboo with replacement big wheels on the front. Then a Phil & Ted. We now have an Out n About. I dont know just how uneven the ground will be at Catton Hall, but all three have coped amicably at Latitude and End of the road. Secondly, in the event of lots of sun (fingers crossed), a parasol is a godsend. And thirdly, ear defenders. 

Thats all I can think of just now....

2 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

One of the highlights of my life was having the babby on my shoulders going absolutely batshit crazy to Flaming Lips and Chemical Brothers at Bluedot last year!   

This reminds me of another thing! Dont be afraid to get close to the 'pit'. Obviously, moshing is a no-no. However, my kid LOVED getting close to the 'chaos' at Idles at Latitude in 2017 + 2018. So.....yeah.

Nice thought in my weekly Thursday meeting today that I wont be in it next week - good times

Today's weather would be perfect too, tent pitched, can in hand, taking a stroll to see whats on, hooking up with old pals - Cant wait

21 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Missed BT and all festivals last year due to travelling SE Asia, so our last one was Equinox 2017!! 

So glad to be back in a field and cant wait till this time next week as will be nearly time to let you lot in :D x

Paul - Oxfam looked to have been moved further up the main road past Trent overspill and on the left this year. Is there a path running from there down to main arena through the trees at all? Wondering as it'll be a much longer road walk to site otherwise.

Theres no such thing as Trent overspill, those 2 fields across the road for live in vehicles are called Oaklands. 

There are 3 crew areas across that side of the road, I think Oxfam are going into the first one across the road, near the back fenceline of Oaklands.

There is a path through the trees on that side and a crossing point across the road that will bring you to the arena side that both crew and public can use.

2 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Theres no such thing as Trent overspill, those 2 fields across the road for live in vehicles are called Oaklands. 

There are 3 crew areas across that side of the road, I think Oxfam are going into the first one across the road, near the back fenceline of Oaklands.

There is a path through the trees on that side and a crossing point across the road that will bring you to the arena side that both crew and public can use.

I did enjoy the walk through the woods back to the van in the early hours ! 

20 hours ago, retromoz said:

So.....yeah. Again, all kids are different. So let your child determine how well you cope. But, to be honest, I think most kids are WAY more resilient than we think they are going to be.

Thanks for the great advice. She is pretty resilient, so I think we're worrying about us more than her! 

20 hours ago, retromoz said:

Also, three things you will need. Firstly, a buggy with big wheels. We had a bugaboo with replacement big wheels on the front.

We like getting out and about, so got an off road pram anyway! Having said that the Bearded Theory site is pretty flat - although I've been lucky enough not to see it wet and muddy! 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Paul - Oxfam looked to have been moved further up the main road past Trent overspill and on the left this year. Is there a path running from there down to main arena through the trees at all? Wondering as it'll be a much longer road walk to site otherwise.

19 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

My first year at Bearded, volunteering with Oxfam.  Mrs C did it last year.  Looking forward to it immensely, all I have heard about the festival is very good. I wondered, is there an efestivals meet up a la Glastonbury?

1 hour ago, chuckles07 said:

My first year at Bearded, volunteering with Oxfam.  Mrs C did it last year.  Looking forward to it immensely, all I have heard about the festival is very good. I wondered, is there an efestivals meet up a la Glastonbury?

Nothing has been mentioned/discussed as yet.

Hey efesters. Im absolutely gutted  but due to health and financial circumstances,  I cant attend my first year. Therefore, I'm having to sell my early bird tickets at face value if anyone is interested? Ask for details. 

Edited by dirtymookie

11 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

There was one a few years ago. I was to drink and too far away to make it.

Are you to drink now? :-)

Weve prob all met each other, the amount of random people I talk to there who are lovely, must be you guys, but yeah I'm up for a meet, Thursday is prob best for me, I'll be milling around Acko's bar anyway

@PaulMy pal can't come till the Sat now, will she still be able to turn up that day? She didn't think she'd be able to come at all, but has wangled the Sat to Mon.

Edited by Perks
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Some might be on before 9pm, take the half day anyway and get along ;)

I like this. Do you think you could let us know on Thursday? Or will it be in the programme? Or will we have to go into the festival that isn’t yet open toncheck the blackboards? I can’t risk missing Beans.