Bearded Theory 2019

Gnomicide

On 12/6/2018 at 4:03 PM, Rumblestripe said:

T'aint Brooooce, recently rumoured by NME (among others) to be touring in 2019 he has specifically said "nothing in 2019, go support E Street Band members solo projects/tours"

On the subject of which Miami Steve VZ has promised UK dates in 2019 for him and "The Disciples Of Soul"...

just saying.

Ooh I done got a prediction right (complete guesswork)  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, man next door said:

Yeah, this is it. 

There's bookings that are just $hit bookings, and there's bookings that are decent enough - but just not suited to an individuals tastes etc. These clearly fit into the latter category. 

It's outstanding that a festival of this size has the likes of Seth Lakeman and Steel Pulse playing in earlier slots - which suits well with us doing it with kids these days, so it's all good.

An excellent reply / post.

Can't say I am familiar with Little Steven , but I am really looking forward to him .

Suede and The Cult I am and I am both surprised and well chuffed that they will be playing.

I would have loved Beardy to have booked RUSH , but I ain't gonna moan that they have not.

My friends , Beardy regulars who have with the exception of Coachella and Banaroo have done every major festival and plenty more smaller ones since the early 80 's  are really pleased with the line up.

Some of our group can't stand Editors , but for some (me included ) that will be a highlight of the festival .  So for some that's a shit booking but others a brilliant one !

1 hour ago, ivan said:

An excellent reply / post.

Can't say I am familiar with Little Steven , but I am really looking forward to him .

Suede and The Cult I am and I am both surprised and well chuffed that they will be playing.

I would have loved Beardy to have booked RUSH , but I ain't gonna moan that they have not.

My friends , Beardy regulars who have with the exception of Coachella and Banaroo have done every major festival and plenty more smaller ones since the early 80 's  are really pleased with the line up.

Some of our group can't stand Editors , but for some (me included ) that will be a highlight of the festival .  So for some that's a shit booking but others a brilliant one !

Thanks man

It's an odd one. This will be our 6th Bearded, but quite a large proportion of the music isn't really what we're into. I don't really do 'guitar music'. (sorry - massive generalisation,  not meant to offend but I'm sure you know what I mean)

We were initially pulled by the lineup (2010, I think it was), but now it's not so much about that. They'll never have quite enough ska, reggae, dub, worldy stuff for me - but there are very few better places to spend a few days.

The punters, the organisers, the beer - all spot on. We've had a lot of fun getting messy there, and equal amounts of fun doing it the family way.  Its one of those rare festivals where both approaches work. 

I just can't wait to get back there, after a few years off, and if/when young children curtail the fun before the headliners have played I won't be too fussed.

23 minutes ago, man next door said:

Thanks man

It's an odd one. This will be our 6th Bearded, but quite a large proportion of the music isn't really what we're into. I don't really do 'guitar music'. (sorry - massive generalisation,  not meant to offend but I'm sure you know what I mean)

We were initially pulled by the lineup (2010, I think it was), but now it's not so much about that. They'll never have quite enough ska, reggae, dub, worldy stuff for me - but there are very few better places to spend a few days.

The punters, the organisers, the beer - all spot on. We've had a lot of fun getting messy there, and equal amounts of fun doing it the family way.  Its one of those rare festivals where both approaches work. 

I just can't wait to get back there, after a few years off, and if/when young children curtail the fun before the headliners have played I won't be too fussed.

I am the other way - I just don't get reggae it is far too laid back for me and the same goes for Ska and Dub.

But hey no one understands my love of The Fall (God bless him)

So the announcement of The Cult and seeing some f****g big speakers on stage and some killer riffs will please me no end.

And being a huge indie fan Suede , Editors  and Doves have tipped me over the excitement edge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, DJL said:

Thinking about giving Bearded Theory a go this year as I live fairly locally. For a frame of reference - wondering how it compares to the likes of Blue Dot, Latitude, Bestival (size, crowd, atmosphere, variety, late-night etc. etc.)?

Last year we did Bearded, Bluedot and Latitude. Would say the site size is on a par with Bluedot, loads smaller than Latitude. Everywhere is pretty much no more than 5-10 minutes walk away. Loved all 3 last year but Bearded was the best. Great crowd. Great line-up. Great site. Obviously its a lot smaller than Latitude so you don't get as much variety. Late night can't comment on as having a 3 year old as soon as headliners finished we were back to the tent.

Much better choice of ale than at Latitude if that's your thing (Latitude only had one on this year and even that wasn't on at all the bars!)

Much less corporate than most festivals I've been to.

Would absolutely recommend it (especially with the line up this year!)   

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 12:59 PM, Flaminglippy said:

Last year we did Bearded, Bluedot and Latitude. Would say the site size is on a par with Bluedot, loads smaller than Latitude. Everywhere is pretty much no more than 5-10 minutes walk away. Loved all 3 last year but Bearded was the best. Great crowd. Great line-up. Great site. Obviously its a lot smaller than Latitude so you don't get as much variety. Late night can't comment on as having a 3 year old as soon as headliners finished we were back to the tent.

Much better choice of ale than at Latitude if that's your thing (Latitude only had one on this year and even that wasn't on at all the bars!)

Thank you, very helpful indeed (particularly as an ale drinker who favours less corporate festivals!)

On 12/24/2018 at 12:59 PM, Flaminglippy said:

Was it good for your 3 year old? I'm debating where to take mine (she'll be just turned 4 in May) and I was leaning towards Bluedot.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:25 AM, vintagelaureate said:

Was it good for your 3 year old? I'm debating where to take mine (she'll be just turned 4 in May) and I was leaning towards Bluedot.

Yeah, she loved both. Would say Bearded had more specifically aimed at kids that age, there is a lovely little area not far from the main stage where they can do some arts and crafts stuff like making tails. There are a few tents where they can play with toys etc and a toilet just for just the kids. Less specifically aimed at very young kids at Bluedot (but its still kid-friendly in terms of feeling safe)

I'd take her...we've been taking ours to 3 or 4 festivals a year now pretty much since she was one and she loves it. Got a 'mate' who reckons it isn't healthy but spending 4 days in the open air experiencing loads of different music and entertainment rather than sat on her arse in the house watching 'Peppa Pig' has to be better in terms of her development

The lead singer of Future Islands made a really good point at Bluedot last year...he said it was great walking round and seeing so many kids there with their parents and that its probably the only time kids will get to see proper live music with their parents. Hadn't thought of it like that before  

Edited by Flaminglippy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, Flaminglippy said:

. Got a 'mate' who reckons it isn't healthy but spending 4 days in the open air experiencing loads of different music and entertainment rather than sat on her arse in the house watching 'Peppa Pig' has to be better in terms of her development

I'd consider getting a different mate. :)

• Like 1

I can’t get the Friday off work, and it’s too much to push for it, so it’s looking (sadly) like Bearded Theory is ruled out. I’m tempted for Green Man now, just have to look into it’s ‘child friendliness’!

Edited by vintagelaureate

20 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I can’t get the Friday off work, and it’s too much to push for it, so it’s looking (sadly) like Bearded Theory is ruled out. I’m tempted for Green Man now, just have to look into it’s ‘child friendliness’!

Green man is massively child friendly, seperate kiddies loos, lots of entertainment, lots and lots of families everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time since 2013 we're missing this years BT. Its a combination of money and it being (for me anyhow, don't shoot) a poor line-up. Plus, I think I need a year off before it becomes more habit than routine. Shame because I LOVE this festival and will miss it on May Bank Holiday weekend. Ive been waiting to be wowed by announcements, but I can't be the only one who been left a bit, meh (as the cool kids say) with each new email. I know my music, but Ive no concept of Little Stephen, BT has a habit of rubbish Sunday headliners. Any road up, that's just me I know most will be swinging their pants and loving it!

Is it too soon to start asking for acts for 2020?

Line up is great for me this year, always something good to listen to. 

Little Steven although I don't know much of his stuff, is a legend in his own right and will have a few special guests too apparently. 

Can't wait... ?

42 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Line up is great for me this year, always something good to listen to. 

Little Steven although I don't know much of his stuff, is a legend in his own right and will have a few special guests too apparently. 

Can't wait... ?

Oo.. I didn't know that. I've been hammering his latest album since he was announced, love it.

2 hours ago, ivan said:

I don’t think there can be many not happy with The Cult as a headliner ? 

im unlikely to see The Cult tbh... but think its a good booking.

Really looking forward to Suede and i think Little Steven will give it a proper go.

Cannot wait for Doves, just amazed that they are not headlining... and with Editors, Steel Pulse, Hollie Cook there is plenty of depth..

2nd visit for me and really looking forward to that great beer tent again.! 

5 hours ago, ivan said:

I don’t think there can be many not happy with The Cult as a headliner ? 

Saturday is the day i am struggling with in all honesty. Loving the other days but choice of Idlewild and the Cult is leaving me cold. I saw previous incarnations such as Southern Dealth Cult and Death Cult about 35  years ago and must have enjoyed them, but apart from She sells sanctuary i don't think i would recongnise  another track by The Cult. Saying that i was thinking the same about Skunk Anansie the other year and absolutely loved their set.

2 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Saturday is the day i am struggling with in all honesty. Loving the other days but choice of Idlewild and the Cult is leaving me cold. I saw previous incarnations such as Southern Dealth Cult and Death Cult about 35  years ago and must have enjoyed them, but apart from She sells sanctuary i don't think i would recongnise  another track by The Cult. Saying that i was thinking the same about Skunk Anansie the other year and absolutely loved their set.

Love Removal Machine, Rain, Lil' Devil, Phoenix, Sweet Soul Sister?

Line up has very little importance to me, having been attending (and helping/working) since the start, I would go no matter what as it's brilliant fun anyway no matter who plays.

Field full of mates, sunshine, good ciders/beers, 9 stages of music, theatre, circus, comedy, arts/crafts, good food, take your own food/drinks, free kids area, bearded school etc etc and all that for about £30 a day... bargain considering you can pay £20-25 a night at a campsite with no entertainment etc 

Not long now... :D 

• Upvote 1