Bearded Theory 2019

Gnomicide

The fact that Editors are not headlining just shows how much the festival has grown. They certainly put on a headlining show - saw them back in October and they were outstanding. As good as they were when the first two albums came out, in my view. Editors followed by SLFs followed by Transglobal - worth the price of admission alone

8 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yeah 2 main stage headliners (and subs) to come, 1 headliner for the Woodland and all of Maui Waui and Showcase stage plus few TBC's to be filled in across the board.... :D

Do you know when Beans is playing? He's not on the line up page. 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

or alternatively, how little interest there is in Editors in the UK - which is underlined by the fact they're playing below Suede.

It certainly the case that they are less successful here than on the continent - that is true - but I'm still pleased and surprised to see them at Bearded, given the sort of festival slot I understand they are used to. I lost interest in them myself around about album three, but the new one - Violence - is a return to form in my view, and perhaps I've been influenced by when I saw them - I thought they had a real presence about them - a proper headlining performance - and I was by no means a fanboy expected that. Perhaps I'd have been better off saying - "if you used to like the Editors, and then changed your mind, then give them another go - you might be pleasantly surprised!"

2 minutes ago, PDAD said:

I've never been to Bearded Theory before but am definitely interested.

What's the general 'vibe' of the place? Is there anything in particular that makes it stand out as a must - see festival?

Basically, convince me, please. 

Ta!

It's very small, friendly, relaxed but with excellent music, food, beer tents (and comedy, though I never managed to get to that!).  The music is a mixture of things you know and things you don't, up and coming bands, established festival artists.  Ska, folk, rock, punk, reggae, indie, all sorts.  Small enough to navigate easily and quickly but still with a number of stages so there's always something to see.  You can take your own booze in or saunter up to bars with no queues (usually, I only queued once I think at the woodland stage).  

Go for it!

28 minutes ago, PDAD said:

I've never been to Bearded Theory before but am definitely interested.

What's the general 'vibe' of the place? Is there anything in particular that makes it stand out as a must - see festival?

Basically, convince me, please. 

Ta!

21 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

It's very small, friendly, relaxed but with excellent music, food, beer tents (and comedy, though I never managed to get to that!).  The music is a mixture of things you know and things you don't, up and coming bands, established festival artists.  Ska, folk, rock, punk, reggae, indie, all sorts.  Small enough to navigate easily and quickly but still with a number of stages so there's always something to see.  You can take your own booze in or saunter up to bars with no queues (usually, I only queued once I think at the woodland stage).  

Go for it!

What Beerqueen says is spot on. It really is the best small festival I have ever been too. A lovely place run by lovely people.

Thank you both!

I went to Small World festival in Kent this year - a tiny, very friendly festival with an amazing atmosphere, but one that you'd never expect to know any artists playing. I've also enjoyed Latitude in the past as a family festival, but with Boomtown and Glastonbury later in the year for me, a slightly smaller festival to kick off the season sounds appealing.

In my mind, Bearded Theory sounds like the perfect mix between Latitude and Small World. 

I'm keen!

33 minutes ago, PDAD said:

Thank you both!

I went to Small World festival in Kent this year - a tiny, very friendly festival with an amazing atmosphere, but one that you'd never expect to know any artists playing. I've also enjoyed Latitude in the past as a family festival, but with Boomtown and Glastonbury later in the year for me, a slightly smaller festival to kick off the season sounds appealing.

In my mind, Bearded Theory sounds like the perfect mix between Latitude and Small World. 

I'm keen!

Do it, you will not regret it......... unless you drink too much Jaipur X

33 minutes ago, PDAD said:

Thank you both!

I'm keen!

If you've been to Glastonbury, then I'd say imagine the Glade plus Avalon plus a touch of the green fields and acoustic - add 10 years to the average age of the punters and £1 off the price of a pint, and you'd be getting there. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

If you've been to Glastonbury, then I'd say imagine the Glade plus Avalon plus a touch of the green fields and acoustic - add 10 years to the average age of the punters and £1 off the price of a pint, and you'd be getting there. 

Ha, nice description, I feel I have a pretty clear picture now!