Bearded Theory 2019

Gnomicide

1 hour ago, walkforever said:

Let's just say I believe it stems from a conversation at a Leeds gig earlier in the year with the bands guitarist. 

That's far too subtle - basically it's someone who played or attended a gig this year in Leeds and have a guitarist? Oh and they're old.   Why not just say who you have heard it is?

If we are thinking arena size acts then these have all played at Leeds First Direct arena this year:

Paul Weller, Elbow, Stereophonics, Noel Gallagher's HFBs, , David Byrne, Prodigy.

In addition Nickleback, Barry Manilow,  Bryan Adams and The Harlem Globetrotters have also played there in 2018 

Edited by tjamest

22 minutes ago, tjamest said:

If we are thinking arena size acts then these have all played at Leeds First Direct arena this year:

Paul Weller, Elbow, Stereophonics, Noel Gallagher's HFBs, , David Byrne, Prodigy.

In addition Nickleback, Barry Manilow,  Bryan Adams and The Harlem Globetrotters have also played there in 2018 

Do you think David Byrne would play at BT? As would love to see him :)

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Do you think David Byrne would play at BT? As would love to see him

I don't think there is a chance in hell that he will play, but it would be great.

I didn't see him this time but saw him a few years ago and can highly recommend.

2 hours ago, tjamest said:

None of those are pensioners though - apart from Barry Manilow and I sincerely hope it's not him!

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

When you are wealthy you can be a pensioner from the age of 50

Of course but Walkforever referred to them as pensioners which you wouldn't ordinarily do for 50-somethings, even though it could strictly be true.

Probably over-thinking this but I'm not sure band members would have a pension...interesting point really, would wealthy musicians have been paying into a pension plan to receive a pension in their 50s?  Retiring through wealth is something different and they wouldn't then be pensioners.

As I say, I think I may be over-thinking this....

Edited by Beerqueen

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Paul Weller is 60. @walkforever's post made it sound like a band to me though.

60 is not state pension age though.  He could have a personal pension at 60 but I doubt it.  Should we really be analysing what a pensioner is in popular speech?

And yeah, he said the band's guitarist.  So seems to be a band.

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Stranglers would be good. I saw them years ago and had a good singalong. Wouldn't be wildly excited but happy enough.  Pretenders or Simple Minds? Meh. Not sure I'd be there - would go to one of the other stages I think. But that's not a problem. 

Doing a bit more research it looks like The Stranglers are playing Las Vegas same weekend as BT

11 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Stranglers would be good. I saw them years ago and had a good singalong. Wouldn't be wildly excited but happy enough.  Pretenders or Simple Minds? Meh. Not sure I'd be there - would go to one of the other stages I think. But that's not a problem. 

I can vouch for Simple Minds putting on a good show. Was surprised how tight they were a few years back when they played the First Direct Arena (with the Stranglers in support, funnily enough).

However, I did hear mixed things about their recent jaunt; the line-up has switched up a bit, with a few members held over from their acoustic tour and sounds like it perhaps hasn't quite come together the way it should.

27 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I can vouch for Simple Minds putting on a good show. Was surprised how tight they were a few years back when they played the First Direct Arena (with the Stranglers in support, funnily enough).

However, I did hear mixed things about their recent jaunt; the line-up has switched up a bit, with a few members held over from their acoustic tour and sounds like it perhaps hasn't quite come together the way it should.

Tbh I think I'd have to relisten to them as it's so long since I heard them I can't remember what I think of them other than the obvious ones. 

19 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It could be wrong and I wouldn't want people to have less faith in me.

Aww  go on - I just want to have something to think about - thinking about whether I'll go to see someone who may or may not play is fine by me at the moment.