18 minutes ago, activean said:

Do we know if ticket sales are good this year or not? 
Quite a few tickets getaway is happening on the internet .. :)

Well VIP and Siesta usually sell out months ago, they seem to be advertising more so than usual. One could put 2 + 2 together and think sales are struggling, saying that it never sells out. 

Anyone had any experience of buying day tickets outside off the touts outside before? At Primavera we've been walked through by the touts and only paid them once we were wristbanded. Hoping to pick up day tickets for certain days on the cheap.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, activean said:

Do we know if ticket sales are good this year or not? 
Quite a few tickets getaway is happening on the internet .. :)

Won't sellout and I guess they are paying the unbalanced lineup: surely Ed Sheeran's and Foo's days will sell out  - chances are that also the 1975 and Florence will - depends on how many brits are looking forwards to the event -, but all in all the lineup this year is one of the worst for the undercards and composition at least since 2014 (included 2017 half-aborted lineup)

48 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Won't sellout and I guess they are paying the unbalanced lineup: surely Ed Sheeran's and Foo's days will sell out  - chances are that also the 1975 and Florence will - depends on how many brits are looking forwards to the event -, but all in all the lineup this year is one of the worst for the undercards and composition at least since 2014 (included 2017 half-aborted lineup)

Main stage is certainly lacking a bit, a38 is cracking this year and has some gems.  It is a weird year though, first 2 days have a lot I want to see and so does the last 2 days. Fri-Sat-Sun is lacking a bit for what I want to see, that will be for the smaller stages and chilling.

12 hours ago, thetime said:

Main stage is certainly lacking a bit, a38 is cracking this year and has some gems.  It is a weird year though, first 2 days have a lot I want to see and so does the last 2 days. Fri-Sat-Sun is lacking a bit for what I want to see, that will be for the smaller stages and chilling.

But yet again, day 2 makes sense because you are british: to most of the foreigners the only worthy name of the MS will probably be Franz Ferdinand, as Ashcroft is something so old and neglettable that it is like to call back The Dandy Warhols or The Fratellis to sub-headliner, while The 1975 just does not appeal, if you are over-18 and non-brit (again).

About the rest, I agree: Martin Garrix's day is a faded day compared to others; The National's day is literally "what is left on the market we throw on the stage" day, with no connection to create a mood among the names whatsoever; Post Malone's day is one of the poorest days I have ever saw on this festival, with only Masego, Parcels and Jungle bringing something of value to the cartel.

The festival is always more expensive and I get that this year was a difficult year to come up with a glorious lineup, plus it is always hard no matter what to define an harmonious and balanced lineup, but this year  it seemed like they literally started top to bottom, picking 4 very big names (Foo, Ed, F+TM, 21P) and make a game of joints not to exceed the budget while covering all the spots. For evidences about this, just take a glance at the sub-headliners of the MS and the headliners of the A38 (21Pilots vs Tove Lo, or James Blake vs Anna of the North), or even at the DJs of the Bacardi Arena.

(Sorry for the rant, it was one of these posts that starts like "yeh fella, you right" and ends up with a declaration of war to a random country of East Europe)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

But yet again, day 2 makes sense because you are british: to most of the foreigners the only worthy name of the MS will probably be Franz Ferdinand, as Ashcroft is something so old and neglettable that it is like to call back The Dandy Warhols or The Fratellis to sub-headliner, while The 1975 just does not appeal, if you are over-18 and non-brit (again).

The festival is always more expensive and I get that this year was a difficult year to come up with a glorious lineup, plus it is always hard no matter what to define an harmonious and balanced lineup, but this year  it seemed like they literally started top to bottom, picking 4 very big names (Foo, Ed, F+TM, 21P) and make a game of joints not to exceed the budget while covering all the spots. For evidences about this, just take a glance at the sub-headliners of the MS and the headliners of the A38 (21Pilots vs Tove Lo, or James Blake vs Anna of the North), or even at the DJs of the Bacardi Arena.

1 - I think that day 2 its unfair to compare ashcroft to fratellis/dandy warhols, The Verve was massive at one point - far bigger than those bands ever were really. 1975 has fair appeal they are doing big shows all over Europe.

2 - F+TM and 21P are cheap as chips compared to Foos and Ed, they did okay for this year having a poor selection of acts touring definitely would have liked to see The Strokes though or someone but can't have everything. Regarding the subheadliners variance, thats about selling 7 day tickets, the middle days sell the best as they have the most overlap so thats why 21p and Foos are on the same day for example when at most other festivals they would have been at the weekend.

14 hours ago, gfa said:

1 - I think that day 2 its unfair to compare ashcroft to fratellis/dandy warhols, The Verve was massive at one point - far bigger than those bands ever were really. 1975 has fair appeal they are doing big shows all over Europe.

2 - F+TM and 21P are cheap as chips compared to Foos and Ed, they did okay for this year having a poor selection of acts touring definitely would have liked to see The Strokes though or someone but can't have everything. Regarding the subheadliners variance, thats about selling 7 day tickets, the middle days sell the best as they have the most overlap so thats why 21p and Foos are on the same day for example when at most other festivals they would have been at the weekend.

1- It might sound unfair for Ashcroft, but, believe me, you would struggle to find somebody non-anglophone who knows something else rather than Bittersweet Symphony from them: we are not talking about Oasis here, The Verve for everybody on the outside were a one-hit band, not so different from The Fratellis/Chelsea Dagger or The Dandy Warhols/Bohemian Like You. I am not saying that this is the untouchable truth, but at least that is how I see it.

Of course I respect the pick, but that has clearly been done for the brits, same as 1975 that in most of the festivals (excluded R&L, wonder why) are not having subheadlining spots (I can only remind of Mad Cool, but list might be longer).

2- Yes they are, but yet I reckon they should be the more expensive bands in the bill this year: probably 21P and Post Malone are on the same level, I have no idea, but I don't think that The National (late contract), Martin Garrix or The 1975 (both not headliner status in the major events' circuit) are comparable to the ones I mentioned. Let's say that Sziget could have taken the chance to use the empty year to propose an heavy-undercard year (as they attempted to do in 2017, although the situation there was highly unbalanced, or better they did in 2015), instead they decided to diversify from PKP and the other direct competitors and bet on few big names: I guess that will be successful, but I'm personally not thrilled.

Most of non-brits don't even know that Ashcroft is somehow related to Bittwersweet Symphony or The Verve. They have no idea who this Ashcroft fella is. They just know the song. Hard to see his show being crowded at Sziget to be honest. Should have been A38 headliner.

Sziget has always had a few "sub-headliner" size acts headlining, which I think is great and 1975 fits that slot perfectly. Expecting to have 7 gigantic acts is a bit too much. Take it as a classic 3/4-day festival line-up that is stretched into 7 days, cause that's what Sziget has always essentially been, giving you space to relax and not run between stages every god damn day.  In that case the line-up is pretty OK. While 1975 does not appeal to a really wide range of audience, I can see them going down really well for Sziget demographic.

And considering the audience of Sziget; Florence, 21P, Post Malone will work much better than The Strokes would. The Strokes are great, but Sziget started as a student festival and most of the audience are still people aged between 18 - 28, who just come for a party. They need a few bands like The Strokes or The National for hipsters like us, but these acts are not really selling massive amounts of tickets.

But considering my personal taste I'm in the same boat with you, Yelo. This and last year has been really headliner orientated and there's not much for us with more demanding taste of music. However, I'm still going to have a great time, there's a reason I keep going back every year.

Edited by eyebrain

6 minutes ago, eyebrain said:

And considering the audience of Sziget; Florence, 21P, Post Malone will work much better than The Strokes would. The Strokes are great, but Sziget started as a student festival and most of the audience are still people aged between 18 - 28, who just came for a party. They need a few bands like The Strokes or The National for hipsters like us, but these acts are not really selling massive amounts of tickets.

I think theres a big difference between Strokes and the National - AM played last year who are basically the Strokes' european counterpart albeit much bigger. They are still indie rock which is a big genre at Sziget. The National is such a strange pick I think i listened to them and it just sounded like funeral music - so boring in my opinion. I am sure some people will like them but I think for the final headliner it was such a strange choice when there are so many other acts out there instead.

I get what you mean though with RA, Sziget have a hard time booking acts that people from all countries know, let alone like.

Must be one of the few who are excited about Ashcroft, although I am in my 40s. ??

Franz Ferdinand

Ashcroft 

Pale Waves

CHVRCHES

Finishing of with Elrow.

That's going to be an awesome day. 

Edited by thetime
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You need to see how the crowd looked for The Stone Roses a few years back. 1500 brits going crazy in the front and then people just standing and chatting behind them :D That's how Ashcroft crowd is going to look too until Bitter Sweet Symphony starts where people are going to be like "ooooh I know that one"

3 hours ago, eyebrain said:

And considering the audience of Sziget; Florence, 21P, Post Malone will work much better than The Strokes would. The Strokes are great, but Sziget started as a student festival and most of the audience are still people aged between 18 - 28, who just come for a party. They need a few bands like The Strokes or The National for hipsters like us, but these acts are not really selling massive amounts of tickets.

But considering my personal taste I'm in the same boat with you, Yelo. This and last year has been really headliner orientated and there's not much for us with more demanding taste of music. However, I'm still going to have a great time, there's a reason I keep going back every year.

Thanks, you made a point here. I

reckon that The National was a late contract in a situation in which they couldn't fill the bill with anything big enough (Tame Impala were probably unavailable - sadly because this is the kind of show that fits the demographic and raise the level of quality) and if things didnt work out with them they would have probably gone for Macklemore headliner (kind of strong sub, super weak headliner, as The 1975 are, as a matter of fact - what troubles me is the fact that The 1975 were a first choice in that spot).

The Strokes are just not touring in August for as much as I know, so they have never been in scope for the management this year. Next? Who knows: if I had to give my 2 cents starting from the missing names of this edition, I'd go for Tame Impala and Billie Eilish, surely not The Strokes (since in 2018 they brought Mumford and Lana who were touring in 2017).

I reckon a period in which Sziget tried to satisfy also the french/german/dutch population (apparently they stopped caring about italian goers in late 00s) with the lineup (Kraftklub and Cro in 2015, Die Fantastischen Vier and Casper in 2014, and a whole lot of people I dont know nor care in 2016 and 17), in the last two years they just gave that up in turn of a massive headliner-generalist orientation with a scope on british audience (that is the largest slice of attenders, I reckon).

Nothing wrong with this, the only thing is that this year they had no balance, as two headliners probably costed about the 30% of the total budget and there is one day in which literally every artist in the Main and A38 are blinking at only the british attenders -  and that, unless one is biased, is crystal clear

Edited by Yelo, the Parmiggiana

8 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Thanks, you made a point here. I reckon that The National was a late contract in a situation in which they couldn't fill the bill with anything big enough (Tame Impala were probably unavailable - sadly because this is the kind of show that fits the demographic and raise the level of quality) and if things didnt work out with them they would have probably gone for Macklemore headliner (kind of strong sub, super weak headliner, as The 1975 are, as a matter of fact - what troubles me is the fact that The 1975 were a first choice in that spot).

I think the 1975 weren't a bad choice at a headliner to be honest - their show on this tour is incredible as much as I dislike them and they are on the way up which is always good. Macklemore and the National are stagnated/on the way down.

12 hours ago, jkerr4412 said:

Are the advertised set times usually accurate? Would love a 1hr 15min Gang of Youths set but don't see it happening. 

Usually yeah, but there have been situations in which sets lasted for less than mentioned: Sum41 and BMTH in 2016 played for 1 hour instead of 1,15, and the very same year also Rihanna and Sia played more or less 1 hour (people wasn't actually happy about Rihanna in particular - I wonder why...)

2 hours ago, uncertain said:

Sziget Festival Official shared a post.

Change in program 

We're sad to announce that Broken Social Scene had to cancel not only their gig at Sziget Festival, but their upcoming UK and European tour dates as well due to Kevin Dew's health issues.

Are we likely to get a replacement for this - A38 headline is a pretty big slot and so hopefully its an upgrade for me :D