2 hours ago, kkpb8038 said:

Also missing circus,  world music replacement, volt terrace, dance and theatre, giant street theatre, ambient beach, classical, jazz and opera, regeae, music box, light stage and loads more smaller stages that I’m sure I have missed out.

Indeed, i just went for the main names, as usually are the one of more interest on this forum!

17 hours ago, kkpb8038 said:

There is so much confusion about the difference between positive discrimination and representation.  

I genuinely don't understand how people don't see a problem with the variety of genres covered by the headliners yet they're all white men with one female. How could that possibly happen without there being some kind of issue? I'm not buying that it's a matter of the biggest acts available either, that's simply not the case. 

3 hours ago, jkerr4412 said:

I'm not buying that it's a matter of the biggest acts available either, that's simply not the case

I'd kindly ask you to expand on that a bit.

You could, for example, start with naming at least a few acts bigger than the current headliners that are gay/black/female enough and touring.

You could then proceed to offer a reason to believe they weren't booked because they aren't white blokes and not because of any other possible reason.

Would for example swapping Foo Fighters with Cardi B really improve the lineup? Five white guys less and one black woman more, sounds quite a deal to me...

16 minutes ago, clasher said:

I'd kindly ask you to expand on that a bit.

You could, for example, start with naming at least a few acts bigger than the current headliners that are gay/black/female enough and touring.

You could then proceed to offer a reason to believe they weren't booked because they aren't white blokes and not because of any other possible reason.

Would for example swapping Foo Fighters with Cardi B really improve the lineup? Five white guys less and one black woman more, sounds quite a deal to me...

I'm not suggesting that they weren't booked as they aren't white men, but I am suggesting with this being the end result there is inevitably an issue somewhere. Weirdly with Sziget the lineup overall in my opinion has a pretty decent rate of representation compared to lineups of similarly sized festivals in every aspect apart from the headliners. The willingness of the organizers to book a representative undercard but failing to make the jump to book representative headliners is slightly bizarre. In terms of big acts touring that would add diversity I could go on, but a few could be Ariana, Pink, Cardi B and maybe Lana Del Ray and Travis Scott just off the top of my head. 

Sziget is all about diveristy,  there’s an lgbt stage(magic mirror),  reggae stage,  Europe stage(who’s entire remit is to.l have acts from all over Europe and beyond). The world music stage going is sad but I’m sure they will find ways to keep the world music in.  There an area focused on immigration and segregation in Europe called the tent without boarders,  there was over 100 Nationalities performing last year.  How is selecting race and sex and focusing on 7 bands in any way rational.  There’s no gay headliners either.  But they are represented at the festival.

• Upvote 2

There is no way to make the top 7 bands representative.  And how would you decide  on what is representative anyway.  It’s a slippery slope.    If you went for representative of the festival there would be very few black artists for example,   If you went for representative of the world where are all the Chinese bands.

you can’t win

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, eivomracsy said:

definitely would swap cardi with garrix and post

I'm sure you're not alone, but hopefully because you like her music more, not because she is a black woman?

25 minutes ago, jkerr4412 said:

I'm not suggesting that they weren't booked as they aren't white men, but I am suggesting with this being the end result there is inevitably an issue somewhere. 

I really don't get that diversity for the sake of diversity itself. I think you misspelled reason there.  Some demographic groups being underrepresented does not prove any sort of racist patriarchal machine working in the background. It is like claiming employment is a misandric feminist construct because a vast majority of work-related deaths and injuries are male.

I want to see good acts, regardless of skin color or gender. The acts you mentioned would be fitting headliners and there surely are reasons why they weren't booked. Again, that doesn't automatically mean something unfair is going on. 

10 hours ago, Rohan14 said:

Quick question do 3 day early entry tickets(Sunday, Monday,Tuesday) normally sell out and if so when? Last year we got there in Tuesday and could still buy one day early entry there and then but is it the same with the three day?

No, it does not sell out. Capacity of the island is the same during moving-in days, so it literally can not sell out. 

Edited by eyebrain

18 hours ago, OllieR said:

Any of the announced Glastonbury acts likely to be included in the next sziget announcement? Thinking Maybe vampire weekend or George Ezra?

Neither of them are touring through August though so I don’t know if they will have any availability. I originally thought George Ezra would be quite likely for a main stage spot, but his festival tour finishes mid July, so I don’t know how likely him announcing dates through August is as he could be preoccupied.

Vampire weekend’s tour dates are much more scattered throughout the year though so I guess they are maybe more possible.

Edited by FestivalJamie

3 hours ago, Baxxx said:

when do we expect the last names? I would say middle april?

I tend to agree. If you release much after that then the vast majority of ticker-buyers will have already committed to other festivals.

Edited by swelsbyuk

2 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

I tend to agree. If you release much after that then the vast majority of ticker-buyers will have already committed to other festivals.

People will need to hurry, flights are getting expensive. I paid about £160 with BA in November, now they are creeping up to £300 for the cheapest.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, thetime said:

People will need to hurry, flights are getting expensive. I paid about £160 with BA in November, now they are creeping up to £300 for the cheapest.

two weeks ago we payed like £110 with ole' ryan for one leg and some european one i'd never heard of for the other way. Gotta live on a budget @thetime !

• Upvote 1