2 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Also, be careful, the last announcement on the app says "The National completes the list of headliners" or something like this. So Martin Garrix magically got promoted to headliner.

Did anybody really believe in Martin Garrix not headlining? He always had the big banner in the lineup page and already closed the festival in 2015. Since that year he only got bigger and bigger in the EDM world being the most voted dj in the DJ MAG Best DJ poll in the last 3 years. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

This post is factually correct yet getting alot of down votes. Festivaljamie is just highlighting subjective choice. 

I knew I would get a lot of down votes for what I said, and if people want to vote me down for what I said then they can choose to do that.

Saying the National are the "best" live act is a subjective statement, and is one which can never be qualified by evidence as it's a matter of opinion. It's like me saying that Justin Bieber is the "best live act", I would receive a lot of down votes for saying that but it's a matter of opinion.

Sure we all have different opinions and some people agree, and some people disagree on other things, however the national can not actually be the "best live act" out there because its opinionated of who people's favourites acts are to see at festivals.

Also, if you look at comments on Instagram and Facebook, a large handful of people are disappointed with the choice of headliner. A comment saying "well that was disappointing" has over 200 likes and another comment saying "Awful. The national sucks" has over 50 likes. So I am not the only one who shares this opinion and also am not the only one who doesn't think they are the "best live band".

Edited by FestivalJamie

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Folk were expecting the likes of cardi b or Ariana grande for the last headline spot, getting the National certainly trumps all that was expecting. 

For you, though, not for everyone. My friends and I would have been very happy with Ariana Grande whereas we are not happy with the National. As I said, it all comes down to a matter of opinion. Luckily, there's enough acts throughout the week which we do like(especially Thursday and Monday) to keep us satisfied through the whole week of the festival.

On the whole, I don't think the line up is bad and I think there's a lot of acts I'd like to see, but I'm just saying it wouldn't have been my choice of a Saturday night headliner.

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

For you, though, not for everyone. My friends and I would have been very happy with Ariana Grande whereas we are not happy with the National. As I said, it all comes down to a matter of opinion. Luckily, there's enough acts throughout the week which we do like(especially Thursday and Monday) to keep us satisfied through the whole week of the festival.

On the whole, I don't think the line up is bad and I think there's a lot of acts I'd like to see, but I'm just saying it wouldn't have been my choice of a Saturday night headliner.

Sziget headliners pretty much covers most basis it caters for this year. You got you rock headliner, indie headliner, dance headliner and pop headliner.

with such along Festival, what headlines a Saturday night isn’t a biggy I would of thought. 

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Sziget headliners pretty much covers most basis it caters for this year. You got you rock headliner, indie headliner, dance headliner and pop headliner.

with such along Festival, what headlines a Saturday night isn’t a biggy I would of thought. 

Yes as I've said I'm happy with it overall :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ilbeyene said:

Did anybody really believe in Martin Garrix not headlining? He always had the big banner in the lineup page and already closed the festival in 2015. Since that year he only got bigger and bigger in the EDM world being the most voted dj in the DJ MAG Best DJ poll in the last 3 years. 

Initially on press release he was not classified as an headliner, so most of us thought it would have been a Kygo 2.0 with a really strong sub. 

2 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Initially on press release he was not classified as an headliner, so most of us thought it would have been a Kygo 2.0 with a really strong sub. 

absolutely on @ilbeyeneside here. everything else was wishful thinking. also i need to point out that that really strong sub for kygo would have been shawn mendes last year. so please let garrix be headliner if we get something nice instead

13 minutes ago, eivomracsy said:

absolutely on @ilbeyeneside here. everything else was wishful thinking. also i need to point out that that really strong sub for kygo would have been shawn mendes last year. so please let garrix be headliner if we get something nice instead

Garrix is the Headliner. Looking at the clash finder we still have subs for Ed Sheeran, Garrix & Post Malone to be announced, so 3 "big names" left *hopefully*.

Hoping for Billie Eilish/The Wombats/Foals/George Ezra/James Bay/Marina at this point for the last announcement, but definitely clutching at straws now.

33 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Looking at the clash finder we still have subs for Ed Sheeran, Garrix & Post Malone to be announced, so 3 "big names" left *hopefully*.

also one biggish name for saturday i think. the other days are pretty much full, altough we do not know about those acts that would may be on the world stage, as we do not know whats planned with world music in general.

so far i am very pleased with the lineup. people on social media do tend to complain a lot. sziget being a huge 7 day festival presenting many different kinds of music and art just can't provide bandwaves pleasing everyones projection in what sziget should feature/be.

for my part music festivals are not about seeing my favourite bands. i will go to their shows anyways. living in a rural area it takes me a two hour journey to most of the gigs. i can't afford it to go to every interesting band money and timewise. so for me its all about discovering and enjoying and theres plenty to enjoy i would never spent almost 100 euros (which gigs tend to cost me including transport, tickets, food and a bottle of wine for my friend i'm usually staying at).

there are almost 30 bands i'm looking forward to at the moment, maybe five of them i would care to go to a solo show. 

Edited by eivomracsy

I just wanted to say, that I like the national's albums,  I like it's deep guitar sound and mood and live performance isn't bad, but imperfection is vocal, it's just sometimes grabs it back. It's the same story with the strokes, and believe me - I respect casablancas, but..) 

Still, would like to see this band, but probably I ll have to choose another festival because want to see smng different (still, atmosphere is the best). 

BTW, the 1975 makes good live show.

Can't help but think that Sziget are missing out some very good opportunities. 

These are all playing other festivals throughout August:

Ash
Shed Seven
Royal Blood
Chase & Status
The Streets
Crystal Fighters
Good Charlotte
PVRIS
SIGMA
Story So Far
Foals
Kings of Leon
A Day To Remember
Bastille
Circa Waves
The Amazons
Bloc Party
The Hives
Sam Fender
The Wombats
Swedish House Mafia
Sub Focus

Fingers crossed for the next announcement.

11 minutes ago, SpongeNob said:

Ash
Shed Seven
Royal Blood
Chase & Status
The Streets
Crystal Fighters
Good Charlotte
PVRIS
SIGMA
Story So Far
Foals
Kings of Leon
A Day To Remember
Bastille
Circa Waves
The Amazons
Bloc Party
The Hives
Sam Fender
The Wombats
Swedish House Mafia
Sub Focus

Maybe 5-10 years ago for most of them, fit in more for Kendal Calling. 

Hey I love shed Seven, going 4 dates on shedcember but I doubt they would even fit into a festival like sziget.  The same goes for the likes of Ash. 

Edited by thetime

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

Maybe 5-10 years ago for most of them, fit in more for Kendal Calling. 

Hey I love shed Seven, going 4 dates on shedcember but I doubt they would even fit into a festival like sziget.  The same goes for the likes of Ash. 

Majority of the acts I mentioned have either a new album / new album coming / or new material.

Plus we have the likes of Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight and The National playing - which are also "5-10 years ago".

Agree with Shed Seven and Ash though, that was purely because I want to see them haha.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SpongeNob said:

If acts such as Franz Ferdinand, James Blake and Tove Lo are sub heads - then I can't see there being any "bigger" names in the next announcement to fill those empty slots on the main stage or A38.

seems like ff will be third down on their day. but i'm curious, what bands or more: what size of bands are you talking about?

6 hours ago, SpongeNob said:

Ash
Shed Seven
Royal Blood
Chase & Status
The Streets
Crystal Fighters
Good Charlotte
PVRIS
SIGMA
Story So Far
Foals
Kings of Leon
A Day To Remember
Bastille
Circa Waves
The Amazons
Bloc Party
The Hives
Sam Fender
The Wombats
Swedish House Mafia
Sub Focus

bastille and kings of leon hahaha