1 hour ago, thetime said:

Depends how much you know your music. -_-

Think I've worked it out myself. Last year there were four acts per day on the main stage and five on A38 (before 1am). 4 + 5 = 9 

Nine per day for 7 days = 63 acts. I'd heard of 39 of them, so approx 60 per cent.

This year, assuming all names announced are playing the main stage, we've had 53 names announced - leaving 10 to be announced. 

At the same recognisability percentage of last year (60 per cent) that means we have six 'recognisable' names yet to be announced.

Thank me later.

• Like 2

Would honestly be shocked though if the Saturday headline was a male band e.g. Tame Impala/The National/RCHP/Coldplay.

Only way I could see this happening is if there is a female co-headline with Garrix, e.g. Ellie G coheadlining with Garrix.

Otherwise, I think the Saturday headliner will be a female artist, similarly as Lana Del Ray was the last headliner to be announced last year.

Ariana seems feasible to me and it would only make sense that they booked the majority of the headliners at the same time, as they would have a wider selection of bands with more open schedules and also costs being cheaper to book the artists in advance. Yes, Ariana will be a lot more expensive to book over the last few months with the release of her new album, however if they booked her around the same time as Ed Sheeran was announced, she would have been a lot cheaper and is certainly a feasible booking.

There is a reason Sziget has changed and is now booking Post Malone, Ed Sheeran, 1975 etc and it's because they know that's what is going to sell the tickets at the end of the day and if they can shift more tickets than they ever have before, then in their eyes its the "best" line up so far, regardless of whether one individual likes it or not.

Post had a huge crowd at Reading last year and has now been bumped up to a co-headliner there as well, so Sziget booking him does not seem like the worst decision business wise, although he is not to my personal tastes(although would much rather have him over A$AP or Cardi B).

I honestly have no clue who we will get next however the 2nd female headline seems needed to me, despite Sziget saying they will not aim for a 50-50 gender balance like Primavera, they are aiming to promote diversity and therefore they will want their line up to look reasonably balanced between different genders on the whole. So far we have 53 artists announced in total, and so far only 11 of these have female performers in them(if I have counted correctly). A couple more female artists lower down on the bill as well as a 2nd female headliner is the direction I think they will be heading in from the line up announced so far. Could definitely see Marina make a comeback lower down on the bill.

If it is another female headliner, and not Ellie/Ariana, I'm not sure who would be feasible. They have had Pink/Rhianna/Sia before however these don't seem like such relevant bookings anymore. Ellie is about to release a new album and Ariana has just released a new album, so these two seem the strongest headline options in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Boardmasters in the UK just announced their third wave of acts. The festival takes place between 7th and 11th August. 

Wu-Tang Clan
The Wombats
Bear's Den
Mahalia Music
SG Lewis
Sunset Sons
Elderbrook
Mella Dee

They already have Florence, Foals, Dizzee Rascal, Jorja Smith, Plan B, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Slaves, Sam Fender - so a couple more repeats for Sziget.

Fingers crossed for Foals and Sam Fender!

9 minutes ago, SpongeNob said:

Boardmasters in the UK just announced their third wave of acts. The festival takes place between 7th and 11th August. 

Wu-Tang Clan
The Wombats
Bear's Den
Mahalia Music
SG Lewis
Sunset Sons
Elderbrook
Mella Dee

They already have Florence, Foals, Dizzee Rascal, Jorja Smith, Plan B, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Slaves, Sam Fender - so a couple more repeats for Sziget.

Fingers crossed for Foals and Sam Fender!

There's a rumour in Budapest that Foals won't be at Sziget, but in Budapest Park. 

Is Catfish definitely sub for Florence? Looking at the website, Catfish is listed below Tove Lo & Franz Ferdinand, who are both most likely 3rd down on their day. James Blake is also listed after Franz Ferdinand, could he be 3rd down on the Saturday?

Looking at what there is still left to announce:

Wednesday 3 main stage acts (4th, 3rd, sub)

Thursday 1 main stage act (4th down)

Friday: A38 headliner, Sub/Coheadline for Martin Garrix & 4th down on main stage

Saturday: Main stage headline, Main stage sub(if James Blake is 3rd down?), A38 sub and main stage 4th down

Sunday: Main stage sub, A38 sub

Monday: A38 headline & sub, main stage sub?(assuming Catfish is 3rd down?), main stage 4th down

Tuesday: A38 headline & sub, main stage 3rd down.

So still seems like quite a few big acts still to be announced, although Catfish & James Blake could well be main stage sub which will mean 2 smaller acts instead of 2 more well-known bands/artists.

• Like 2

A few questions from a newbie if that's okay?

• Does Sziget sell a programme? Does it contain the whole line-up?
  • I assume they sell festival tshirts on site?
  • Am I right in saying the festival is cashless and you must only use a wristband or credit card?
  • My daughter is 14-y-o and wants to get as near to the front as possible for 21Pilots - is it 'safe' right at the front or is it very tightly packed in?

Think that's it. Any help appreciated.

26 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

A few questions from a newbie if that's okay?

• Does Sziget sell a programme? Does it contain the whole line-up?
  • I assume they sell festival tshirts on site?
  • Am I right in saying the festival is cashless and you must only use a wristband or credit card?
  • My daughter is 14-y-o and wants to get as near to the front as possible for 21Pilots - is it 'safe' right at the front or is it very tightly packed in?

Think that's it. Any help appreciated.

From what I recall the Sziget 'passport' that you're given on entry is effectively a programme with all the acts in. 

There are many shirts on sale. 

It is cashless but it's very easy to top up at the stations/ with the app. 

Personally I've never been at the front of the main stage but I would imagine that it is very tightly packed. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t let my 14 year old down the front for 21 pilots,  but it depends on how confident she is.  Personally you get a great view from the back and easy access to bars and toilets.  People at the front should look after her but it only takes i drunken idiots to cause an injury.  If she is short she will see nothing at the front. It will be a crush and potential mosh in places as foos follow them.

• Upvote 1

For getting to the front, once she is past the moshing section she will be completely fine. If she is short there is no point unless she is within about 2 rows of the barrier as she won't see anything. If you go with her i'm sure she will be fine, just try and get there early to get to the barrier I guess. if worst comes to worst you can just go over the barrier and walk around and watch from further back

edit: by then she'll of had plenty of warm up time, try and get her in for some of the moshy indie/rock acts like Catfish and the Bottlemen or Frank Carter (definitely stay on the edge for frank carter if its anything like a UK show though!) or Franz Ferdinand as the crowd will be very jumpy i'd imagine.

edit 2; maybe like 1975 as well so she can experience just how packed it will be, 1975 will have a very calm audience with loads of girls with phones and shit so should be completely fine to get her prepared for how close quarters 21p will be - hope this helps :) 

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1