Of course I was kidding on that, but I do believe that Coldplay - Ed Sheeran - Foo Fighters will be what Arctic Monkeys - Kendrick Lamar - Gorillaz has been the last year. Plus they had an(other) increase of the budget, so getting rid of the co-headlining habit, they can actually have somebody the size of The Cure; TwentyOnePilots and Florence are just middle-sized headliners. The only real wildcards there are Swedish House Mafia, cause I got the impression they could cost like crazy, and if those names will actually be around next year coming.

Maybe last year it wasn't quite obvious, but Sziget afforded 3 major headliners, 2 exclusives in Europe and 4 co-headliners, still having a quite robust undercard bill. Sziget has the money to do big stuff, since they switched to a different owner, and taking as a benchmark 2017, with that chaos is quite unbalanced, imho

Foo Fighters, The Cure, Childish Gambino, Eminem & Florence + the Machine is what I'd like to see... I don't really care about the rest. And about Coldplay, 21 Pilots or Swedish House Mafia... yeah, I understand they would be cool for some of my friends and that they're ticket sellers, but I wouldn't be excited at all for these names.

3 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

but I do believe that Coldplay - Ed Sheeran - Foo Fighters will be what Arctic Monkeys - Kendrick Lamar - Gorillaz has been the last year

I think that Ed Sheeran is actually a some kind of an upgrade to Shawn Mendes and that a lot of the budget increase was spent on him, to be honest.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

Maybe the wrong place to post this. But I'm trying to find a European festival similar to Sziget to go with my friends next year. Due to one of them being in the Navy he can't do Szigets dates.

Similar music i.e. rock, pop, dance, indie, world

Similar weather, prices, camping etc.

We've already done Exit in Serbia.

Thanks

Edited by payneruk

13 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Maybe the wrong place to post this. But I'm trying to find a European festival similar to Sziget to go with my friends next year. Due to one of them being in the Navy he can't do Szigets dates.

Thanks

Similar to Sziget for music, weather and prices, actually nothing. 

Maybe InMusic, but I think the mood is quite different, Exit is the other. Maybe FIB.

48 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Thanks

Roskilde but Denmark is pretty expensive.

1 hour ago, payneruk said:

Thanks

Maybe Open'er in Poland would be a good choice.

1 hour ago, StupidDream said:

I would also say Lowlands in The Netherlands, but that's also in mid-August. Bit more expensive too, and some luck needed weather-wise.

NOS Alive is also nice, easily combined with a visit to Lisbon and some beach time. Wouldn't exactly call it a similar festival to Sziget. 

NOS is on my radar. Hopefully they'll release some more names soon

All of my friends that have been to Sziget and then tried FIB said that it's probably the worst festival they've been to, so I wouldn't recommend it. 

There's Balaton Sound. The mood is a bit different and the lineup as well. There's a lot of EDM that I hate, but also a techno/house stage and an Elrow Stage that goes on for the whole festival. No rock, unfortunately.

Prices are of course like Sziget's one as it's in Hungary and is organized by the same people. Beer is just a bit more expensive cause it's Heineken and not Dreher, but still nothing compared to the festivals in western Europe.

Weather is generally great unless your're veeeeeeery unlucky. The place is lovely, on the shore of a lake and you basically spend the whole daytime as on a beach vacation and the whole night time as on festival vacation.

People are less friendly in the latest years but it's something that unfortunately is happening in the whole Hungary for the perception of strangers that has changed in the latest years thanks to the government in charge since too many years. Sziget is a happy island in a country that is slowly moving to the far right since too many years.

But it's a very nice experience and it's in July, so if August is not available for you guys it's definitely something to take in consideration. 

:)

I'm pretty sure it's Foos... Great booking. They had a sold out arena show in Budapest in 2017, but I think people would love to see them again. They also said at the end of that concert that they'll be back pretty soon and not as last time (20+ years I think). Maybe they had them for 2019 since then.

41 minutes ago, everest said:

Foos announced solo show in Croatia so it's very unlikely to play in Croatia, Hungary and Austria (didn't play since 2014 so next year 100%) 

Now that's an arena! - only 7000 capacity - wouldn't rule them out of Sziget or Frequency just yet.

https://www.croatiaweek.com/foo-fighters-announce-croatia-concert-date/

Edited by DDave