1 hour ago, visdave34 said:

Hey Thibault,

I’d really recommend Lowlands festival in Holland (17-19 August in 2019). The best atmosphere at a festival that I know of and a lot to see and do, even apart from the really diverse lineup. I’ve been there 10 times, was really addicted to the festival in the ‘zero’s’. Never been to Sziget, but from the stories I’ve heard Lowlands feels like a smaller version of it. Bottom line is: I think everyone should at least go there once. Only ‘downside’ is that with Dutch weather, you’re never sure what you’ll be getting... ?

Edit: camping is REALLY comfortable at Lowlands. And another plus side: they only sell weekend tickets, so everybody’s there for the whole run. Improves the atmosphere so much. 

That's a great idea Dave! It's now my number 1 plan! It's exactly what I'm looking for, and my NOS Alive 18 team was there yesterday, and want to go back next year!

• Like 1

Here's someone that was at Faith No More Sziget 2009's concert and after 10 editions in a row of the festival, it's still on top of my Sziget concerts (alongside Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' one in 2013). I'm afraid Sziget wouldn't get them as a headliner as now the Main Stage area is definitely too big for them. I'm pretty sure that if they'd tour next year Sziget Management would take them for Volt.

Regarding Lowlands, I know many people that have been there and all of them say that Sziget is way much better on everything, from weather to atmosphere, from prices to campsite. And then at Lowlands almost everybody's from the Netherlands while at Sziget you really meet a lot of people from all over the world. The thing that Dutch people were always the first community of strangers in the festival is a clear sign that there's nothing like Sziget in the Netherlands.

Anyway probably nobody knows that for the first time probably in this century, the first community of foreigners in Sziget this year were the Brits. No Glasto obviously brought everybody to the most similar one in the Continent. Even Michael Eavis in 2012, last year Glastonbury didn't happen, attended some days of Sziget.

Anyway, I already cannot wait for next year's edition. I'm happy that they finally wrote the dates as they really are instead of showing a last day that has never existed. It's useless to display an 8th day while that 8th day is actually the night of the 7th.

• Like 1

Not necessarily headliners or predictions, but here is my wishlist:

- Paul McCartney

- Faith No More

- Ghost (the first 3 are more like a dream to me actually :D )

- Metallica

- Greta Van Fleet

- Paramore

- Marmozets

- FIDLAR

- The Offspring / blink-182 / Green Day

- Rammstein

- Eagles of Death Metal

- Miles Kane

- Enter Shikari

- Bring Me The Horizon

- Weezer

You got the idea, more rock bands would be awesome.

+ from the other genres:

- Mike Shinoda

- Childish Gambino

- Florence + the Machine

- Adele

- The Killers

- Jamie T

- Justice

- The Streets

- A big reggae act would do (The Marley Brothers / Damian Marley for example)

- Santigold

- Gnarls Barkley

Edited by #1SzigetFan

2 years ago the lineup was too pop/edm and the sales went bad, this year they added a lot of rock and they broke every record ... for this (and for some clues received from reliable sources ...) I 'm almost certain that the first headliner will be  Metallica ... this indicates a total reopening of the festival towards rock / metal, already this year has performed on the main stage a band like Apey and the Pea ..

Edited by Fabrizzo

15 hours ago, Fabrizzo said:

2 years ago the lineup was too pop/edm and the sales went bad, this year they added a lot of rock and they broke every record ... for this (and for some clues received from reliable sources ...) I 'm almost certain that the first headliner will be  Metallica ... this indicates a total reopening of the festival towards rock / metal, already this year has performed on the main stage a band like Apey and the Pea ..

"Bad" still means 3rd best selling result in 26 years. I'd be even more careful with that because the record of this year has been brought by Dua Lipa, Kygo, Shawn Mendes, Bastille and Mumford and Sons, rather than Slaves, King Gizzard and Wolf Alice.

Sziget is not opening to rock, on the contrary, a wise consideration Sziget could do is to notice that the Pop-ish audience is more Main Stage centric and hardly will move to A38, while the more sophisticated part of the audience, caring for alt, rock, punk, metal is more likely to move to Europe or A38.

I am pretty sure that this consideration has been done by the management, that looks to be more cautious and sensible than the previous one in building an equilibrate lineup, and this, sadly, push down the odds that Metallica will be in the lineup (especially because they played Budapest in May 2018, so it wouldn't be the metal band hungarian people so desperately want to watch).

Pretty positive that Sziget will push for a name as Madonna (Robbie WIlliams in 2015's style) and/or Ariana Grande / Taylor Swift (something pop, cute and young: Dua Lipa worked too damn fine not to propose another similar solution) to achieve two easy full house.

I'd say Florence is pretty much nailed on, given that most of people in festivals circuit are talking about her as first headliner - and her performance in 2015 has been one of the most critical acclaimed (two birds with one stone, given that at the same time you are giving something sophisticated, classy and also pop): I would dare to say that she will be the September's headliner.

One or two EDM headliners could be a big shot too, one for sure (but I heard from more than person that Main Stage was too poor EDM wise, this year - which btw was true): I point to Axwell & Ingrosso (or DJ Snake, or Robin Schulz) because they were at Balaton, but much can be said about anybody of those guys, they always tour because of Tomorrowland and shit.

About the rest, not much can be said, since it is really early: previously I pointed to Twenty One Pilots, The Killers and Massive Attack:

• I still give a lot of my points to Twenty One Pilots, since they have a new album, have dates released til march, no Hungary included and they (I think) never played in Hungary;
  • The Killers are a long shot. I'm just thinking at Lana Del Rey / Mumford and Sons: A band that toured the last year but didn't make to Sziget because of time or management problems, with whom they reach an arrengement for the year after (thing that - I guess - happened with Lana or Mumford). I say The Killers, but tbh the names could be many more: Arcade Fire, Jack White, Bruno Mars (so on and so forth); The Killers just look the best fitting band for me. Another name that I'd consider, although this is a long shot, is Tame Impala, back from hiatus, which could lead them for a (co-)headliner spot;
  • For what concern Massive Attack, I really have no idea: I just threw them in the fight because I am still mad for what they did at Mad Cool and need a comeback of them. 

On the side of the undercards, really little can be said, just few names from the Sziget brand festivals: I'd point my finger to those, although I have ZERO news about tours: 

• Main Stage: Craig David, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Akos, Tuncksapda
  • A38: Ella Eyre, Princess Nokia; Eric Prydz, Richie Hawtin, Booka Shade, Kungs, Alan Walker
  • Party Arena: Timmy Trumpet, NGHTMRE,  Vini Vici
  • Colosseum: Jay Lumen, Sven Vath, Stefan Bodzi, Ellen Allien, Charlotte De Witte, Amelie Lens, Luigi Madonna, Maceo Plex

This is what I can say about what we have so far (protip: too little information). I think that the picture will be less shady in one or two months.

Any opinion?

Edited by Yelo, the Parmiggiana
  • Upvote 2

Metallica had an arena show this year in Budapest, right, but all tickets were sold out very fast, so I think that not everyone had the chance to see them... actually it happened the same in most European cities where Metallica played, so that's why they're repeating their tour! Btw, Gorillaz also had a gig in Budapest in November, but they also played Sziget few months later.

Arcade Fire & Massive Attack were in Budapest as well, but you could still buy tickets for both gigs on the day of the concerts.

I'm not sure if today's youth is (still) listening to Madonna. She could be an interesting headliner, branded as the "Queen of Pop at Sziget" etc., but I wouldn't be excited at all if they announce her to be honest. However, Robbie Williams was exactly the opposite, as young people are listening to him, so I didn't have anything with that booking. I even think that booking Madonna would be a risk... I guess she requests loads of money and I'm not even sure that she could be able to make Sziget have a sold out day (maybe only if people in their 40s or 50s would buy tickets for that day, haha).

Edited by #1SzigetFan

I am not sure that adding rock to the Line-up was the main reason for better sales. Dua Lipa, Mo,Shawn Mendes,  and Mumford and Sons seemed to have huge crowds and one reason the sales are up. The 3-day tickets and a better line up may have also been another reason.

I would love to see Metallica but unsure if this will be a headliner that would bring in ticket sales to a festival. I could see them going for the Killers/Coldplay and more bands like this rather than Metallica. I agree with Yeko and could see Pop acts with a mixture of bands and a rapper. I think this year had a great mixture off Pop/Bands and DJ’s. For me Kygo was poor and I would like to see Calvin Harris next year. Lana was also poor for a headliner and never really got the place going.

Last year I was close with my predictions but I struggling to predict next year’s Line-up. With the UK being the second biggest sales, you could see a more British Line up and some decent Internationals. I hope for Killers,Depeche Mode, Fleetwood Mac,Coldplay but mainly Mettalica. Futher down maybe Vaccines, Catfish also some pop into the act as well with Tom Greenan Again, Anne Marie, Florence and Tiny Tempa.

My predictions for this year from December 2017? Posted December 2, 2017- I would live to see Arcade Fire/QOTSA/Gorillaz/Noel or Liam. I can also see a Scottish act like Franz or Snow Patrol as they are in Europe in the summer. Maybe further down a few acts like D Bryne/Thiefs/Wolf Alice/Stormzy or Tiny  and a few dance acts like Avici/Diplo headlining a few nights.  Florance for the opening night

2 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Metallica had an arena show this year in Budapest, right, but all tickets were sold out very fast, so I think that not everyone had the chance to see them... actually it happened the same in most European cities where Metallica played, so that's why they're repeating their tour! Btw, Gorillaz also had a gig in Budapest in November, but they also played Sziget few months later.

Arcade Fire & Massive Attack were in Budapest as well, but you could still buy tickets for both gigs on the day of the concerts.

I'm not sure if today's youth is (still) listening to Madonna. She could be an interesting headliner, branded as the "Queen of Pop at Sziget" etc., but I wouldn't be excited at all if they announce her to be honest. However, Robbie Williams was exactly the opposite, as young people are listening to him, so I didn't have anything with that booking. I even think that booking Madonna would be a risk... I guess she requests loads of money and I'm not even sure that she could be able to make Sziget have a sold out day (maybe only if people in their 40s or 50s would buy tickets for that day, haha).

Yep, Arcade Fire are not Sziget material imho (although they would be classy and, at the same time, they can only be headliner).

For Metallica, that is not a no-no, but I guess it has to be taken in consideration - if Metallica join the line up, it will be a "must go" for me, as Gorillaz and AM have been this year for me (headliner wise).

Honestly, I dont know anybody in the 20s that actually listen to Robbie Williams to the point of paying 70+ € for one of his show. Madonna would not be a good booking for other reasons (the show itself, just to make an instance) - but I am pretty sure it would go sold out, if put in a day dedicated to the same segment of audience on the Main Stage. On the same page it looks like Madonna will headline Glastonbury 2019 - and I think that Glastonbury is pretty trendsetter on its own 

4 minutes ago, Davidoff said:

I am not sure that adding rock to the Line-up was the main reason for better sales. Dua Lipa, Mo,Shawn Mendes,  and Mumford and Sons seemed to have huge crowds and one reason the sales are up. The 3-day tickets and a better line up may have also been another reason.

I would love to see Metallica but unsure if this will be a headliner that would bring in ticket sales to a festival. I could see them going for the Killers/Coldplay and more bands like this rather than Metallica. I agree with Yeko and could see Pop acts with a mixture of bands and a rapper. I think this year had a great mixture off Pop/Bands and DJ’s. For me Kygo was poor and I would like to see Calvin Harris next year. Lana was also poor for a headliner and never really got the place going.

Last year I was close with my predictions but I struggling to predict next year’s Line-up. With the UK being the second biggest sales, you could see a more British Line up and some decent Internationals. I hope for Killers,Depeche Mode, Fleetwood Mac,Coldplay but mainly Mettalica. Futher down maybe Vaccines, Catfish also some pop into the act as well with Tom Greenan Again, Anne Marie, Florence and Tiny Tempa.

My predictions for this year from December 2017? Posted December 2, 2017- I would live to see Arcade Fire/QOTSA/Gorillaz/Noel or Liam. I can also see a Scottish act like Franz or Snow Patrol as they are in Europe in the summer. Maybe further down a few acts like D Bryne/Thiefs/Wolf Alice/Stormzy or Tiny  and a few dance acts like Avici/Diplo headlining a few nights.  Florance for the opening night

Coldplay could also be a possibility! With the increase of budget and a new festival tour incoming (https://en.festileaks.com/2018/08/rumoured-coldplay-plan-festival-tour-in-2019/); that surely would be a main name, maybe the "brother" of Arctic Monkeys this year (meaning plenty of girls screaming around...) - I would drop the chances for Depeche Mode (because I dont think they will tour another year) and Avicii (for obvious reasons)

Edited by Yelo, the Parmiggiana
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Yep, Arcade Fire are not Sziget material imho (although they would be classy and, at the same time, they can only be headliner).

For Metallica, that is not a no-no, but I guess it has to be taken in consideration - if Metallica join the line up, it will be a "must go" for me, as Gorillaz and AM have been this year for me (headliner wise).

Honestly, I dont know anybody in the 20s that actually listen to Robbie Williams to the point of paying 70+ € for one of his show. Madonna would not be a good booking for other reasons (the show itself, just to make an instance) - but I am pretty sure it would go sold out, if put in a day dedicated to the same segment of audience on the Main Stage. On the same page it looks like Madonna will headline Glastonbury 2019 - and I think that Glastonbury is pretty trendsetter on its own 

Coldplay could also be a possibility! With the increase of budget and a new festival tour incoming (https://en.festileaks.com/2018/08/rumoured-coldplay-plan-festival-tour-in-2019/); that surely would be a main name, maybe the "brother" of Arctic Monkeys this year (meaning plenty of girls screaming around...) - I would drop the chances for Depeche Mode (because I dont think they will tour another year) and Avicii (for obvious reasons)

I can't see it happening tbh Coldplay will not tour till 2021 at the latest.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:59 PM, NomadicMan said:

Does anyone really think they’d book Metallica. For me szigets sadly becoming a festival for the 16-22 year olds. If you look on feedback and sales Shawn Mendez and Kygo were the most bankabale stars this year.

If Metallica were offered to Sziget and its within budget they have to sign them up don't they? Same goes with the likes of Madonna. I personally would prefer headliners a bit lower down price wise and a more solid line up through all the days. The A38 was not as good for me the year to 2017, that could be my age though and really liked the a38 last year.

3 hours ago, thetime said:

If Metallica were offered to Sziget and its within budget they have to sign them up don't they? Same goes with the likes of Madonna. I personally would prefer headliners a bit lower down price wise and a more solid line up through all the days. The A38 was not as good for me the year to 2017, that could be my age though and really liked the a38 last year.

They’d be a top drawer booking no doubt and when you put it like that certainly they should book them if available and affordable but we know they wouldn’t be cheap so I suspect they’d be wondering if the return on investment would be good enough or if they’d get better bang per buck on other acts.

Anyway let’s see, Metallica will be good enough to sell me tickets next year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fabrizzo said:

Source?

Hey, I wrote the Festileaks article :)

maybe you've misread the "as early as september"? that was in reference to the month of announcement, not the day in said month.

I'd say we don't know and I'd guess that it's the band who will announce a tour at once.

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, Davidoff said:

Sorry to be pedantic but Snow Patrol are Irish.?