Rave review of Gorillaz at Boomtown

Johndenis

Odd, I was in a group of 15 or so and all of us found the set really boring, I think we were all fairly casual observers, but even people I spoke to afterwards in the campsite echoed my thoughts that it was really plodding - I really wanted to like it too but just couldn't get into it at all. 

We walked up and found the field so full it was impossible to get anywhere where the sound was decent enough.

We left it until the last minute though so not complaining. 

There were still hundreds of others on the way up as we walked back down though.

22 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Odd, I was in a group of 15 or so and all of us found the set really boring, I think we were all fairly casual observers, but even people I spoke to afterwards in the campsite echoed my thoughts that it was really plodding - I really wanted to like it too but just couldn't get into it at all. 

I actually wasn't even intending to go...but so glad I did! Have been playing Gorillaz a fair bit since I got home too (which never happens). Maybe we were just in a good spot?

I'm not an avid Gorillaz fan - I couldn't really tell you many of their songs past the first two albums - I thought the set started really well. We were quite close to the front but I left to go and catch some of Enter Shikari, I went back after and there was definitely an issue with sound at the edge of the bowl. 

I would describe myself as a casual Gorillaz fan. I know the first couple of albums pretty well, but only semi-well beyond that. I've never seen them live before.

I also found the set to be dull. I know they probably suffer a bit as a result of being a slower tempo type of act compared to usual Boomtown fare, but even given that contrast I found it unnecessarily dull. 

It took a long time to crank out the first "banger" in the form of "Dare", and it seemed to be a down tempo version compared to the recorded single. I'm not sure why you would play a down tempo version of a fairly upbeat (as far as Gorillaz go) song at a dance festival.

I stuck through the whole set waiting for the presumably epic finale. It certainly did pick up in the second half, but wasn't quite the epic conclusion I had been imagining.

It wasn't the worst live set I've seen in my life by a long stretch, but I had fairly high expectations which were disappointed

Edited by Sku

4 hours ago, Sku said:

It took a long time to crank out the first "banger" in the form of "Dare", and it seemed to be a down tempo version compared to the recorded single. I'm not sure why you would play a down tempo version of a fairly upbeat (as far as Gorillaz go) song at a dance festival.

That's really interesting - I was thinking how it was a really uptempo dance version of the mediocrity I had been anticipating! But then I had very low expectations. So maybe thats it, combined with the location?

Edited by Sasperella

I was lucky enough to watch it from the pit in front of the sound booth, and i thought it was an amazing set. I had prepped myself for it prior to the show though, and used the tours average setlist on setlist.fm to make a spotify playlist, so i knew what to expect. I just felt they nailed it.

Although, i was tripping quite heavily, so i think the visuals also helped my enjoyment somewhat :D

16 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I I had prepped myself for it prior to the show though, and used the tours average setlist on setlist.fm to make a spotify playlist, so i knew what to expect. I just felt they nailed it.

You may have used it to create your playlist, but if not Setify is a great way of doing it

On 8/15/2018 at 4:03 PM, Sasperella said:

I actually wasn't even intending to go...but so glad I did! Have been playing Gorillaz a fair bit since I got home too (which never happens). Maybe we were just in a good spot?

So glad you and Emma enjoyed it after convincing you to come along. I got a bit drunk so it flew past but knew I had a great time.

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Apparently I was singing my heart out to as much as possible. If the sound wasn't great where we were I can only apologise for what I subjected your ears to. 

Aaah well, if I didn't love having intoxicated strangers singing very loudly along right next to me, I probably wouldn't go to festivals :lol:

Edited by Sasperella

4 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Apparently I was singing my heart out to as much as possible. If the sound wasn't great where we were I can only apologise for what I subjected your ears to. 

Give me the 'singalongloudly' people over the 'talkallthewaythrough' people any day!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...