Womad 2018 review

Watergirl

Thanks for sharing- great read

Overall I enjoyed the festival, our 2nd WOMAD and will return.

We had splashed out on Park & Camp which was great and having the car next to the tent proved a handy shelter when it was either too hot or the wind was whipping up as well as meaning didn't need to lug our stuff miles.

Really enjoyed Ken Boothe, Whisky Shivers, Hasmat Sultana, Havana meets Kingston and Django Django.

Was really looking forward to Leftfield but didn't like it as much as thought I would and due to a tired son ended up coming back early.

Food options were excellent- only had 1 poor meal from the Wood Fired Pizza place up by the Siam tent.

Used the Physics Lab for 1st time and that was superb- children really enjoyed it.

We hadn't been since 2016 so missed Carters Steam Fair being there.

We enjoyed it too. We were in the meadow park and camp which was fantastic for arriving and leaving but very noisy until 3am on the first night with groups of adults chatting really loudly and playing music. Eventually someone else complained to security and it stopped. Yes I know it's a festival blah but it was really loud.

We really liked Whisky Shivers - their workshop was hilarious and uplifting, Havana meets Kingston, Camille and the wellbeing and kids areas. It is quite an odd one though isnt it - brilliant infrastructure - possibly the best organised festival I have been to and yet no real lip service to making it look beautiful  - I don't actually mind that - it is very functional and on balance I would rather everything worked well and the toilets were clean then the woodland was full of art.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:48 PM, tjamest said:

Thanks for the review, i shall delve into your recommendations as i have only heard of a few of the more famous ones.

What was the Amadou book? was it 'away from the light'?

Yes, that’s the one.