Reading or Leeds ??

conn1

Hi

been looking for a while now but can’t really find an answer. People in general say go to the one that’s closer , but I live in Birmingham and the distance is near enough the same , so makes no difference to me. I will be going to one of the 2 next year , and will be 17 by the 2019 fests. I went to one or 2 festivals when I was very little but can’t remember them. Any help would be appreciated a lot , thanks ! 

49 minutes ago, conn1 said:

Hi

been looking for a while now but can’t really find an answer. People in general say go to the one that’s closer , but I live in Birmingham and the distance is near enough the same , so makes no difference to me. I will be going to one of the 2 next year , and will be 17 by the 2019 fests. I went to one or 2 festivals when I was very little but can’t remember them. Any help would be appreciated a lot , thanks ! 

They're relatively similar. Reading is busier than Leeds. Reading is in the city and so has a curfew which means there are limited things to do after the music stops apart from the Silent Discos. Leeds is more in the middle of nowhere and has better night options including the Relentless Stage and Piccadilly Party. I didn't notice much of a difference in atmosphere between the two but everyone swears that Leeds is better :lol: Hope that helps a bit.

Been to both a fair few times and used be so in love with Reading as it was the first festival I went to back in ‘93 but recently have done Leeds more as it’s closer and gotta say it just about pips Reading. Atmosphere, site and how easy it is to get out on the Monday just nails it for me. Plus there’s something about being with fellow northerners that’s a massive comfort personally. 

The northerners / southerners thing doesn’t really affect me as of where I’m from , but it seems as though Leeds is the better festival if you want the proper ‘festival’ experience ? Leeds seems much more laid back by the sound of things, is that right ? Also as I won’t be able to buy alcohol there because of my age , is it near impossible to bring any in ? Thanks for the help and replies :-)

21 minutes ago, conn1 said:

The northerners / southerners thing doesn’t really affect me as of where I’m from , but it seems as though Leeds is the better festival if you want the proper ‘festival’ experience ? Leeds seems much more laid back by the sound of things, is that right ? Also as I won’t be able to buy alcohol there because of my age , is it near impossible to bring any in ? Thanks for the help and replies ?

I can only comment on Leeds, but have heard from people who have attended both in the past that Leeds has the better atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Dukey said:

I can only comment on Leeds, but have heard from people who have attended both in the past that Leeds has the better atmosphere.

It will completely depend on preference, specific year, bands, weather, mates, Neighbours etc etc, so Id ignore all that guff and not pick off the fact someone of the Internet suggests the atmosphere is better at one, as you’ll just as quick find someone else saying different

For me the liklihood of having better weather at reading would be the only differentiator if you otherwise have no preference and not sure what you’d like better

Obviously otherwise Reading is obviously easier to access if coming by train and has all the amenities of town so you don’t have to cart everything with you. More of a pain of coming by car though

Leeds is more of a ‘festival’ of being out of town  with the pros and cons of that  

The ‘town’ is a unique aspect in itself for reading, not really available at other fests, it’s cool walking around a town completely taken over by scruffs in wellies!

I’d go to both if I were you, so you can work out which one suits you best, as some of us have been going for 15+ years so it may not be a one off!

thanks mate , yeah 

2 hours ago, Benj said:

It will completely depend on preference, specific year, bands, weather, mates, Neighbours etc etc, so Id ignore all that guff and not pick off the fact someone of the Internet suggests the atmosphere is better at one, as you’ll just as quick find someone else saying different

For me the liklihood of having better weather at reading would be the only differentiator if you otherwise have no preference and not sure what you’d like better

Obviously otherwise Reading is obviously easier to access if coming by train and has all the amenities of town so you don’t have to cart everything with you. More of a pain of coming by car though

Leeds is more of a ‘festival’ of being out of town  with the pros and cons of that  

The ‘town’ is a unique aspect in itself for reading, not really available at other fests, it’s cool walking around a town completely taken over by scruffs in wellies!

I’d go to both if I were you, so you can work out which one suits you best, as some of us have been going for 15+ years so it may not be a one off!

Thanks mate , yeah from what I’ve heard both festivals are amazing so definitely don’t plan this to be a one off . Are the parties after the music has ended at Leeds  a big factor towards going there , or , even though there’s a curfew at Reading , are the afterparties just as good ? That’s the main thing that may be slightly edging me towards Leeds , so is it a big factor in the atmosphere , partying and nightlife of it ? Also , We’re planning on booking early and getting the early bird tickets , so where would be the best place to camp 

Cheers  

Edited by conn1

1 hour ago, conn1 said:

thanks mate , yeah 

Thanks mate , yeah from what I’ve heard both festivals are amazing so definitely don’t plan this to be a one off . Are the parties after the music has ended at Leeds  a big factor towards going there , or , even though there’s a curfew at Reading , are the afterparties just as good ? That’s the main thing that may be slightly edging me towards Leeds , so is it a big factor in the atmosphere , partying and nightlife of it ? Also , We’re planning on booking early and getting the early bird tickets , so where would be the best place to camp 

Cheers  

Again I’m sure it depends on the individual and what you’re after.

Im always more than ready to head to bed after a full day in the arena. I’m MUCH older than you though! 

I think half the fun of festivals should just be chilling with your mates talking bollocks, if you need 24/7 action, you’re not necessarily there with the right people. Don’t forget that the arena is pretty much open 12 hours and you will want some sleep!

No idea re the best camp for you, I only know Reading and would likely not want to camp where you’d have the most fun!

9 hours ago, Benj said:

Again I’m sure it depends on the individual and what you’re after.

Im always more than ready to head to bed after a full day in the arena. I’m MUCH older than you though! 

I think half the fun of festivals should just be chilling with your mates talking bollocks, if you need 24/7 action, you’re not necessarily there with the right people. Don’t forget that the arena is pretty much open 12 hours and you will want some sleep!

No idea re the best camp for you, I only know Reading and would likely not want to camp where you’d have the most fun!

Thanks mate , still really don’t know what to choose but have a much better idea of the differences between the 2 ! Cheers 

Echo what others have said on here. Only been to Leeds once and that was a few years ago, but, Leeds is better after the bands finish and is generally more lively. It is in the middle of nowhere though so make sure you do a proper beer budget!

Reading is great for being close to the city centre, like a 5 minute walk, so you can easily top up with beer etc.

I'm from Birmingham and going to Reading is about a 90 minute drive. Though we're all in the disabled campsite now which is a different experience - though still more rowdy than white campsite.

For a full on, no sleep, party weekend I'd go for red or orange. White is quite quiet although a little less "refugee camp" than the rest, close to a large car park, but, 30 mins walk from the arena.

My only advice for the whole weekend is to have a laugh and don't go for gold on the Friday, the amount of passed out teenagers I see at 5pm on a Friday is hilarious!

1 hour ago, KipperMog said:

Echo what others have said on here. Only been to Leeds once and that was a few years ago, but, Leeds is better after the bands finish and is generally more lively. It is in the middle of nowhere though so make sure you do a proper beer budget!

Reading is great for being close to the city centre, like a 5 minute walk, so you can easily top up with beer etc.

I'm from Birmingham and going to Reading is about a 90 minute drive. Though we're all in the disabled campsite now which is a different experience - though still more rowdy than white campsite.

For a full on, no sleep, party weekend I'd go for red or orange. White is quite quiet although a little less "refugee camp" than the rest, close to a large car park, but, 30 mins walk from the arena.

My only advice for the whole weekend is to have a laugh and don't go for gold on the Friday, the amount of passed out teenagers I see at 5pm on a Friday is hilarious!

Aha thanks mate , yeah that’s a big bit of advice I’ve seen , any tricks you have of getting booze into the festival? And I think in general we’re edging towards Leeds , especially as most people who live around us go to Reading 

Always found sound when I went to be superior at Leeds. I actually enjoyed elements of camping at Reading more so due to it being flatter. As for getting into the site then Leeds wins easy, park ring outside the gated and the 2nd time I went Reading to realised how much I don't want to do that walk again. I've had great laughs at both, Leeds is great for having a bar/village just outside of white camp and it's a great area to just sit around and chill if the weather is nice, I don't remember Reading having. this.

• Downvote 1