Jump to content

Latitude 2019


MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

And just like that, it’s good again.

well it  is different strokes for different folks i suppose..

Whilst i dont like to sit at the Obelisk every night watching acts i have seen before, this line-up gives me : Ezra vs Primal Scream / Snow Patrol vs Everything Everything / Lana del Ray vs Slaves...

Now i could indeed spend my late evening with Teleman, Ray BLK & Japanese House up in the woods and have a great time seeing 3 artists that i have never seen before...  but it is still costing me 220 quid....

I just wonder what they have spent my money on.?

and the 40,000 others they hope to get through the gate...

Edited by BlueDaze
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's too expensive but I would personally love to see George Ezra, Everything Everything and Lana three nights in a row. The big moon, magic gang, parcels, churches and Tom Grennan on the undercard are making me have a think about whether it's worth trying to go or not, I just think it seems too expensive though but I'm on the fence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gregory said:

How do we think the 'closing set' from Underworld will go? What time will they play? it'll be Snow Patrol - EvEv - Underworld without much clashing? 

Putting the 2/9 headliners which are female against each other (The Japanese House & Lana) is dumb.

What have their sexual organs got to do with where they go on the lineup? Do people chose who they see based on gender? Seems a bit, sexist. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is twice as much I like on this announcement as the last one so overall... it's OK. Jenny Lewis is a big plus and I'd take Chvrches or Everything Everything over any of the other headliners (not including Underworld).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Smeble said:

What have their sexual organs got to do with where they go on the lineup? Do people chose who they see based on gender? Seems a bit, sexist. 

The music industry is sexist, and a 6:3 m/f headliner ratio (7:3 if you count underworld) suggests that sexual organs do in fact have influence over where acts place on a line up. 

I’m not who you originally replied to but to answer your second question, wanting to support women in a male dominated field is not my definition of sexist

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, evannn said:

The music industry is sexist, and a 6:3 m/f headliner ratio (7:3 if you count underworld) suggests that sexual organs do in fact have influence over where acts place on a line up. 

I’m not who you originally replied to but to answer your second question, wanting to support women in a male dominated field is not my definition of sexist

There are more male acts than female plus Male acts outsell female acts by a large margin, are the music buying public sexist? Festivals book acts to sell tickets, that means more male acts, simple economics.

booking acts based purely on their sex, and then putting them higher on the lineup than popularity demands purely because they are a certain gender is sexism pure and simple. 

Positive discrimination is just discrimination and only right in the minds of the morally corrupt, all it does is harden the resolve of sexists and racists in their beliefs, yes it’s gives a short term boost to the person being promoted beyond their talent but in the long run is damaging to everyone.

merit is all that matters, remove the barriers and merit wins.

wanting to support women is sexist if the only reason you are supporting them is because they are a woman.

 

Edited by Smeble
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a pattern with Latitude? It seems like every year they do the first line up announcement and this forum grumbles because it’s not the headliners they wanted, then come announcement 2 there’s a change of heart and by the time the lake stage is announced almost everyone has found things they are happy with?

Or am I just imagining this?

Anyway, lots to my taste on this line up now. I’m happy.

Will probably start moaning about possible clashes soon ;)

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rseamer said:

Is there a pattern with Latitude? It seems like every year they do the first line up announcement and this forum grumbles because it’s not the headliners they wanted, then come announcement 2 there’s a change of heart and by the time the lake stage is announced almost everyone has found things they are happy with?

This line up so far has already blown the last two years out of the water for me and there's still a lot more to come. I love the festival, its surroundings and atmosphere but last year especially I came away really disappointed with the music offering. I was worried, with the initial announcement in January, that this year was going to be the same but thankfully they have pulled it out of the bag. No doubt the Lake Stage will bring some good up and comers as always.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, evannn said:

Lots of good stuff in there for me, most have cropped up at the fest before but I strongly recommend Foxing - some great alt-rock, ffo: Hail to the Thief/In Rainbows, or Br*nd New if the singer wasn't an abuser.

 

This and/or Green Man and I'm set for a lovely summer

What does this mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Smeble said:

There are more male acts than female plus Male acts outsell female acts by a large margin, are the music buying public sexist? Festivals book acts to sell tickets, that means more male acts, simple economics.

booking acts based purely on their sex, and then putting them higher on the lineup than popularity demands purely because they are a certain gender is sexism pure and simple. 

Positive discrimination is just discrimination and only right in the minds of the morally corrupt, all it does is harden the resolve of sexists and racists in their beliefs, yes it’s gives a short term boost to the person being promoted beyond their talent but in the long run is damaging to everyone.

merit is all that matters, remove the barriers and merit wins.

wanting to support women is sexist if the only reason you are supporting them is because they are a woman.

 

I dont get this 'doing something will harden the resolve of sexists & racists in ther belief' stuff. If something needs to be done to change the status quo, why should we not do it because some idiots will still think their idiot thoughts?!? Its like......lets not tackle terrorism because it will just harden the resolve of terrorists. It makes no sense.

The music industry is awful. It is still, despite some positive inroads, still terribly sexist, as is society institutionally. And, after YEARS of being so, I think its time for some 'positive discrimination'. I wouldnt even call it that. Its just a case of.....giving fantastic artists the chance they wouldnt usually get, simply because of their gender. In an ideal world, of course, it wouldnt even matter. Great artists are great artists. Im SURE we all think that on here. However....in the world out there, they dont. 

I get really annoyed by this especially at Latitude, run by festival republic. Who are running the 'ReBalance' initiative and saying all the 'right' things for good PR, and then when it comes to bookings, just.....doesnt even bother. Its crap. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2019 at 6:37 PM, FestivalJamie said:

I think it's too expensive but I would personally love to see George Ezra, Everything Everything and Lana three nights in a row. The big moon, magic gang, parcels, churches and Tom Grennan on the undercard are making me have a think about whether it's worth trying to go or not, I just think it seems too expensive though but I'm on the fence. 

If you love those 3 then i would go for it... There is plenty more on the undercard to discover/enjoy..

It is a terrific festival.. well laid out, not too much hiking about, half decent bars and food etc..

It is, as i said, just different strokes for different folks and the top 6/7 bands have absolutely no interest to me. It feels like the days of Portishead and The National are long gone for Latitude, but the popularity of guitar based bands has declined over the past few years so maybe i am just living in the past...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, km9 said:

What does this mean?

I like a lot of acts recently announced, in particular Foxing - who haven’t played Latitude before. 

 

As soon as I can afford to, I’m getting tickets to either latitude or green man festival 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:37 PM, FestivalJamie said:

I think it's too expensive but I would personally love to see George Ezra, Everything Everything and Lana three nights in a row. The big moon, magic gang, parcels, churches and Tom Grennan on the undercard are making me have a think about whether it's worth trying to go or not, I just think it seems too expensive though but I'm on the fence. 

I agree with @BlueDaze, to see both Lana and George Ezra would probably set you back the best part of £100 anyway. Add in all of those acts you want to see on the undercard and you'll be getting more than your moneys worth. If you haven't been before, its a beautiful festival with so much going on and a fantastic atmosphere. It will be worth every penny.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, suttttttt said:

I agree with @BlueDaze, to see both Lana and George Ezra would probably set you back the best part of £100 anyway. Add in all of those acts you want to see on the undercard and you'll be getting more than your moneys worth. If you haven't been before, its a beautiful festival with so much going on and a fantastic atmosphere. It will be worth every penny.

 

Thanks guys. ? Definitely considering it, but got Truck & Sziget on the cards so far so it depends if I can afford to go, as there's travel expenses included too. But would love to go, as the line up is far better than I was expecting and originally thought.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Thanks guys. ? Definitely considering it, but got Truck & Sziget on the cards so far so it depends if I can afford to go, as there's travel expenses included too. But would love to go, as the line up is far better than I was expecting and originally thought.

Hi Jamie

My family and I are doing Sziget this year for the first time but are also doing Latitude - for the seventh year running! It's a lovely place and, if the line-up appeals to you, then it will be a fantastic place to be. I really would do whatever you can to attend, you won't regret it. YOLO!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2019 at 12:36 PM, retromoz said:

I dont get this 'doing something will harden the resolve of sexists & racists in ther belief' stuff. If something needs to be done to change the status quo, why should we not do it because some idiots will still think their idiot thoughts?!? Its like......lets not tackle terrorism because it will just harden the resolve of terrorists. It makes no sense.

The music industry is awful. It is still, despite some positive inroads, still terribly sexist, as is society institutionally. And, after YEARS of being so, I think its time for some 'positive discrimination'. I wouldnt even call it that. Its just a case of.....giving fantastic artists the chance they wouldnt usually get, simply because of their gender. In an ideal world, of course, it wouldnt even matter. Great artists are great artists. Im SURE we all think that on here. However....in the world out there, they dont. 

I get really annoyed by this especially at Latitude, run by festival republic. Who are running the 'ReBalance' initiative and saying all the 'right' things for good PR, and then when it comes to bookings, just.....doesnt even bother. Its crap. 

Because it legitimises their opinions in their minds,you need to show them why they are wrong, not just tell them they are wrong. If you positivity desriminate then you strengthen their belief that there's some conspiracy to promote minoritys just because they are minority’s and they are not where they are on merit. 

chauvanistic men think women only get to the top by sleeping their way to the top or because they are filling a PC quota, all you do by positively discriminating is show them that they are correct.

you need to change people’s minds, not force what they see as an agenda onto them. The more you force it onto them the more they push back, show them why they are wrong and they will change their minds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Smeble said:

Because it legitimises their opinions in their minds,you need to show them why they are wrong, not just tell them they are wrong. If you positivity desriminate then you strengthen their belief that there's some conspiracy to promote minoritys just because they are minority’s and they are not where they are on merit. 

chauvanistic men think women only get to the top by sleeping their way to the top or because they are filling a PC quota, all you do by positively discriminating is show them that they are correct.

you need to change people’s minds, not force what they see as an agenda onto them. The more you force it onto them the more they push back, show them why they are wrong and they will change their minds.

I dont mean to be rude.....i hope this is taken constructively...... 

 

But...... How are we supposed to 'show them they are wrong' but in such a way that doesnt embolden their antiquated beliefs? By your reckoning (and because of the indisputable fact that all parts of society are institutionally sexist / racist / homophobic etc), if any women/transexual/person of non white ethnicity/gay manage to be headlining anywhere, stupid morons will be emboldened into thinking that their belief that these people do not belong in a headliner spot simply because they have a vagina/non white background/sleep with members of the same sex is right?!? Is that REALLY your thought?!? That does not make sense!!!!! Why pander to these fools when the majority of us do NOT think this bullshit?!? Most of us are intelligent enough to know that NOTHING except talent should be the main reason to be headlining. Yet, every fucking year, its the same. Women are absent from headliner slots. And its not on. Its bullshit that this is STILL a thing, in 2019!!! After centuries of discrimination against women, having the foresight to make sure you have equality in your line up is the LEAST that should be done. This does not 'legitimise' their warped opinions because those opinions are not legitimate. Those views are as dickensian as Jacob Rees-Mogg. 

 

Edited by retromoz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to rewind it back, I don’t think putting two female acts on at the same time is bad for equality. Two of the three largest stages headlined by women on one night is good, and if no one had pointed it out I wouldn’t have noticed that so it’s doing it’s becoming the norm too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

True. I want more female headliners and a move towards equality generally... but that doesn’t mean they should consider the gender split at any one day or time particularly/schedule acts according to their gender 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2019 at 9:00 PM, retromoz said:

I dont mean to be rude.....i hope this is taken constructively...... 

 

But...... How are we supposed to 'show them they are wrong' but in such a way that doesnt embolden their antiquated beliefs? By your reckoning (and because of the indisputable fact that all parts of society are institutionally sexist / racist / homophobic etc), if any women/transexual/person of non white ethnicity/gay manage to be headlining anywhere, stupid morons will be emboldened into thinking that their belief that these people do not belong in a headliner spot simply because they have a vagina/non white background/sleep with members of the same sex is right?!? Is that REALLY your thought?!? That does not make sense!!!!! Why pander to these fools when the majority of us do NOT think this bullshit?!? Most of us are intelligent enough to know that NOTHING except talent should be the main reason to be headlining. Yet, every fucking year, its the same. Women are absent from headliner slots. And its not on. Its bullshit that this is STILL a thing, in 2019!!! After centuries of discrimination against women, having the foresight to make sure you have equality in your line up is the LEAST that should be done. This does not 'legitimise' their warped opinions because those opinions are not legitimate. Those views are as dickensian as Jacob Rees-Mogg. 

 

I think this one possibly the most contradictory posts I’ve ever read on the internet, ‘ most of us don’t believe this bullshit’ but ‘everyone is institutionally racist, sexist etc’ 

‘most of us are intelligent enough to know nothing except talent should be the main reason to be headlining’ yet you then say women are still absent from headliner slots blindly assuming it must be for sexist reasons. If talent is the main reason for headlining then gender is an utter irrelevance. 

Referring back to my original post, male acts sell vastly more records than female acts, therefore it’s entirely reasonable for festivals to book more male acts and for more headliners to be male. You could only expect a 50/50 split if record sales were equal and there are the same number of female acts as male acts.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I think this one possibly the most contradictory posts I’ve ever read on the internet, ‘ most of us don’t believe this bullshit’ but ‘everyone is institutionally racist, sexist etc’ 

‘most of us are intelligent enough to know nothing except talent should be the main reason to be headlining’ yet you then say women are still absent from headliner slots blindly assuming it must be for sexist reasons. If talent is the main reason for headlining then gender is an utter irrelevance. 

Referring back to my original post, male acts sell vastly more records than female acts, therefore it’s entirely reasonable for festivals to book more male acts and for more headliners to be male. You could only expect a 50/50 split if record sales were equal and there are the same number of female acts as male acts.

 

You are obviously not reading my posts properly or just deciding to not understand. So.....to clarify..... 'most of us dont believe this bullshit' refers to the majority of us on this forum who are fed up with lipservice being paid to equality when no equality exists. Whilst your 'everyone is institutionally sexist' quote i didnt actually say. I said that "society is institutionally sexist etc"

 

I would assume most of us ARE intelligent enough to think talent is the only thing that should count when talking about headliners. You say that i 'blindly assume' women dont headline for sexist reasons alone. But....when there is so much female talent who somehow cannot get a headlining gig, then what IS the reason, other that prejudice? 

 

Then you state that there is a majority of male headliners purely because they 'sell more records'. Which ignores what would constitute a good headliner to begin with. Its not JUST record sales, obviously. Otherwise, Ed Sheeran, Adele and Beyonce would headline everywhere every year.

 

Look, we are not going to agree. My point is, whilst what sex/orientation/race you are SHOULDN'T stop anyone from headlining, in reality it obviously does. Your point seems to be, if you have women being headliners too, no one will go to these events because they arnt a box office draw. Or something. Which, in my view, is a form of sexism itself. 

 

Still......its just bants innit. Men. Ruling the world for over 2000 years. Classic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...