Latitude 2019

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

20 hours ago, rseamer said:

RE: The discussion above, Latitude's main booker is I believe a woman - it would be really interesting to hear her take on this subject.

Also the most important thing moving forward to gain equality (and surely most people would agree that equality is important?) is that in terms of gender, at a grass roots level women are given equal opportunity to perform music as men and are given equal opportunity for their careers to grow - so that in the future the pool of potential available headliners is split 50/50. Emily Eavis at Glastonbury has talked about this and has said that right now the situation is that there are more potential male headliners than female - but that can change given time. 

My understanding is that Lucy, the Latitude booker, has been on maternity leave since last summer and her maternity cover is a bloke.

Suspect, therefore, that this year's line-up is his, not hers.

Could be completely wrong of course but that's certainly my understanding.

On 3/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, rseamer said:

RE: The discussion above, Latitude's main booker is I believe a woman - it would be really interesting to hear her take on this subject.

Also the most important thing moving forward to gain equality (and surely most people would agree that equality is important?) is that in terms of gender, at a grass roots level women are given equal opportunity to perform music as men and are given equal opportunity for their careers to grow - so that in the future the pool of potential available headliners is split 50/50. Emily Eavis at Glastonbury has talked about this and has said that right now the situation is that there are more potential male headliners than female - but that can change given time. 

Depends on peoples definition of equality. The key is equality of opportunity which people seem to miss, equality of opportunity does not mean a 50/50 split between sexes, it just means everyone has exactly the same opportunity. People see more men headlining than women and just assume it must be down to sexism. 

I fundamentally disagree with your belief that the pool of headliners must have a 50/50 split, why? What has gender got to do with anything? 

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

Depends on peoples definition of equality. The key is equality of opportunity which people seem to miss, equality of opportunity does not mean a 50/50 split between sexes, it just means everyone has exactly the same opportunity. People see more men headlining than women and just assume it must be down to sexism. 

I fundamentally disagree with your belief that the pool of headliners must have a 50/50 split, why? What has gender got to do with anything? 

I agree with your point about equal opportunity, that’s why I mentioned it in my original post.

To answer your question......

Gender doesn’t have anything to do with who headlines a festival if it can be demonstrated that opportunity is equal - but there are countless stories in the music industry from women of how opportunities are not equal and the evidence across festival headliners shows that to be the case. If the split was 50/50 that would be evidence to suggest equal opportunity was in place (unless of course you think that men are inherently better at making music than women, then perhaps if there was equal opportunity men would be more numerous) 

However fair play to Latitude - they are doing better than certain other festivals. 

Where is the evidence that shows that equal opportunity is available? There’s certainly more evidence to suggest it isn’t. 

Edited by rseamer
  • Upvote 1

On 3/18/2019 at 2:29 PM, Smeble said:

So what is it down to? More men have more talent or interest in a career in music?

Had a bit of spare time on my hands and had a look at artist websites to try and suss which days they're playing. For those interested:

Loyle Carner: Friday

Parcels: Friday

Khruangbin: Friday (Playing in the states on Sunday)

Kero Kero Bonito: Friday

Gomez: Friday or Saturday

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever: Sunday

Sigrid: Sunday

Guessing we will get an official day split announcement in April and maybe some arts stuff before then.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2019 at 10:36 PM, DJL said:

So what is it down to? More men have more talent or interest in a career in music?

More male artists that are more popular. It’s just a fact that male artists shift more records. Festivals book artists to sell tickets, therefore you book the most popular ones you can.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Smeble said:

More male artists that are more popular. It’s just a fact that male artists shift more records. Festivals book artists to sell tickets, therefore you book the most popular ones you can.

Yes it is a fact, but why it is a fact. Why are male artists more popular? Are they better? 

Edited by DJL
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nickyboy said:

Sorry to be a newbie for Latitude - are we expecting another lineup announcement soon (ie are there more stages) or is what is on here the finalized list?

Trying to decide whether to do this festival or Bluedot (same weekend)

There's loads more to be announced, more on the stages already announced along with other stages, lake, alcove, Solas, film and music, lavish lounge/BBC Introducing, speakeasy, theaters, cabaret, waterfront, Pandora's playground, then there's all the late night Djs and other late night stuff..

Edited by Funktownbro
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Nickyboy said:

Sorry to be a newbie for Latitude - are we expecting another lineup announcement soon (ie are there more stages) or is what is on here the finalized list?

Trying to decide whether to do this festival or Bluedot (same weekend)

As mentioned above still plenty more to come, if we don't get an announcement today I think we can expect one next week at the latest to tie in with it being pay day. Huw Stephens curates the Lake Stage and tweeted last Friday that there will be news soon so standby.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

As mentioned above still plenty more to come, if we don't get an announcement today I think we can expect one next week at the latest to tie in with it being pay day. Huw Stephens curates the Lake Stage and tweeted last Friday that there will be news soon so standby.

Definitely should be something in the next week or so. As you say, it's payday and will soon be the start of the Easter hols. The sun's shining and it feels almost summer-like this morning. Today would be a good day for a Lake Stage announcement...….which means we'll probably get it next Thursday!

18 hours ago, DJL said:

Yes it is a fact, but why it is a fact. Why are male artists more popular? Are they better? 

Better doesn’t come into it,( it’s completely subjective anyway) it’s just what people like, are you suggesting everyone is sexist or everyone should be told what they should like?

id rather not live in a country that dictates what Quota of music I should like. We are heading that way but hopefully I’ll be dead before we go completely mad.

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2019 at 3:11 PM, Smeble said:

Better doesn’t come into it,( it’s completely subjective anyway) it’s just what people like, are you suggesting everyone is sexist or everyone should be told what they should like?

id rather not live in a country that dictates what Quota of music I should like. We are heading that way but hopefully I’ll be dead before we go completely mad.

Ok so not better... but you’re saying men are more able to produce music which is more popular then women, and there are no other factors involved?

I am not saying the record buying public are sexist at all and neither am I dictating what quota of music you or any one should like. I mean no offence I just want to understand your views.

12 hours ago, DJL said:

Ok so not better... but you’re saying men are more able to produce music which is more popular then women, and there are no other factors involved?

I am not saying the record buying public are sexist at all and neither am I dictating what quota of music you or any one should like. I mean no offence I just want to understand your views.

I’m just stating facts not giving reasons, men sell more records, why is that? No idea, don’t really care. But that’s why more men headline festivals, they shift tickets.plus there’s a bigger pool to choose headliners from. Unless you are going to throw merit( assuming tickets sales is the only reason to book a headliner) and maths out the window there is always going to be more male headliners, personally I don’t give a damn what gender an artist is, if I like them, I like them.

Seems a bit unfair that the Latitude forum is being clogged up with all this talk of sexism, when it's been acknowledged by a few on here that Latitude is actually very good at promoting female artists, with this year being a particularly "even" (for want of a better word) year

11 hours ago, km9 said:

Seems a bit unfair that the Latitude forum is being clogged up with all this talk of sexism, when it's been acknowledged by a few on here that Latitude is actually very good at promoting female artists, with this year being a particularly "even" (for want of a better word) year

Agreed - I tried to draw a line under it by posting the Emily Eavis interview but that didn't seem to work. The situation is the same with every festival so it seems a shame the Latitude forum is getting bogged down with this issue. Perhaps a Lake Stage announcement might focus people's minds elsewhere......

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Smeble said:

I’m just stating facts not giving reasons, men sell more records, why is that? No idea, don’t really care. But that’s why more men headline festivals, they shift tickets.plus there’s a bigger pool to choose headliners from. Unless you are going to throw merit( assuming tickets sales is the only reason to book a headliner) and maths out the window there is always going to be more male headliners, personally I don’t give a damn what gender an artist is, if I like them, I like them.

So....do you not think there is a problem? Or do you acknowledge there is a problem, but because men sell more albums/tickets/merch etc, they should just play everywhere at all times anyway? Because the status quo is fine? And that women would play more places if they only got their fingers out and work on selling their wares and earning that coin? 

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

Agreed - I tried to draw a line under it by posting the Emily Eavis interview but that didn't seem to work. The situation is the same with every festival so it seems a shame the Latitude forum is getting bogged down with this issue. Perhaps a Lake Stage announcement might focus people's minds elsewhere......

Feel free to post... literally anything else about the festival :)

Any ideas on what DJs etc we might get after hours?