Latitude 2019

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

19 hours ago, suttttttt said:

So George Ezra is at Neighbourhood, Isle of White and Parklife aswell as Latitude. Hope FR have spent the money they saved on some decent undercard names. Really cheapens it for me, not a special booking at all. Can see Snow Patrol cropping up at a few other UK fests as well. 

James seem to be appearing all over the place this year too. Not sure we'll see Snow Patrol at many others though. They don't really fit anymore. They're bigish but not sure they'd sell many festival tickets unless part of an overall package with other similarly beige acts. A beige-fest if you will. Maybe Wilderness would have them?

Suspect FR will have saved themselves quite a few quid by not having any exclusivity on Little Georgie.

15 hours ago, tobydlb said:

is there any chance of them announcing a big sub (i.e vampire weekend)

Seeing as their headlining trio probably cost peanuts in comparison to the last couple of years I'd like to think a big sub isn't totally out of the question. I personally do think they could sub it, the headed up EOTR last year which is a fait bit smaller than Latitude not that it means much.

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

Seeing as their headlining trio probably cost peanuts in comparison to the last couple of years I'd like to think a big sub isn't totally out of the question. I personally do think they could sub it, the headed up EOTR last year which is a fait bit smaller than Latitude not that it means much.

I'd be interested to know the cost comparison between the two years. I can't imagine this year's three headliners combined costing any more than the fee paid for The Killers. I think they've changed their vision for the festival again. They've had mega publicity via Zoe Ball on Radio 2 so they've gone for headliners who will please Radio 2 listeners.

Although there are more festivals popping up every year, there aren't actually many that are geared towards a slightly older, slightly more conservative (lower case 'c') demographic. Latitude is mopping that up now. I just hope the undercard has a more 'edgy' offering in the next announcement.

Edited by swelsbyuk

1 minute ago, swelsbyuk said:

I'd be interested to know the cost comparison between the two years. I can't imagine the three headliners combined costing any more than the fee paid for The Killers. I think they've changed their vision for the festival again. They've had mega publicity via Zoe Ball on Radio 2 so they've gone for headliners who will please Radio 2 listeners.

Although there are more festivals popping up every year, there aren't actually many that are geared towards a slightly older, slightly more conservative (lower case 'c') demographic. Latitude is mopping that up now. I just hope the undercard has a more 'edgy' offering in the next announcement.

I just want Jamie T or Raleigh Ritchie ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 8:16 PM, suttttttt said:

So George Ezra is at Neighbourhood, Isle of White and Parklife aswell as Latitude. Hope FR have spent the money they saved on some decent undercard names. Really cheapens it for me, not a special booking at all. Can see Snow Patrol cropping up at a few other UK fests as well. 

And now trnsmt

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'd given up on that and removed it when the first announcement was made.

That was an announcement..!!??

We have been to the last 6 Latitudes and this first announcement is the most uninspiring... Last year they appeared to blow most of their cash on Killers, which had saturday as busy as i have seen it although there were some decent undercard acts (Breeders, tUnE-yArDs, IDLES, LG secret set, Wolf Alice etc..)

They will need to add to Sigrid and Loyle Carner to encourage me to part with money this year.. A shame as it is nearly always bathed in sunshine (and my wife loves the compactness versus the wide expanses of Glastonbury)..

I may have pointed this out before, but I really hope they are not following the same announcement schedule as last year i.e release the big guns in announcement one and then following it up with announcements of unknowns.

By that I mean, if this year's "big guns" include Neneh Cherry, Baxter Dury and Julia Jacklin then I think we could be seeing the slow demise of a once-loved festival. This will be our seventh year and although there are some acts we like there needs a major improvement in the undercard.

11 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I may have pointed this out before, but I really hope they are not following the same announcement schedule as last year i.e release the big guns in announcement one and then following it up with announcements of unknowns.

Last years first announcement revealed a lot more music than this years. Names on the Obelisk, BBC Music, Sunrise, Lake, Alcove and Film & Music were announced totaling well over 40. This year we only have 26 (?) music names over the top two stages and we're still waiting on a tent headliner. I'm quietly hopeful there is some more interesting additions to be made.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe the negativity towards such a great festival. Each year the headliners are disappointing in my view but there are always some great acts added later on. The Lake Stage last year had Sam Fender, Bodega, Hak Baker, Jade Bird, Confidence Man and Boy Azooga, all  were excellent. Lump and Oscar Jerome were amazing in the Film tent and then there was Jon Hopkins and Idles on the BBC tent along with the Orielles and Black Midi on the Sunrise stage. Most of these acts have had a great boost in their musical careers since appearing. Sorry Latitude get it nearly spot on every year. Leave Snow Patrol and George Ezra to the masses and search out some unknown acts and you will surprised at how much a better time you will have

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Chazwiz said:

I can't believe the negativity towards such a great festival. Each year the headliners are disappointing in my view but there are always some great acts added later on. The Lake Stage last year had Sam Fender, Bodega, Hak Baker, Jade Bird, Confidence Man and Boy Azooga, all  were excellent. Lump and Oscar Jerome were amazing in the Film tent and then there was Jon Hopkins and Idles on the BBC tent along with the Orielles and Black Midi on the Sunrise stage. Most of these acts have had a great boost in their musical careers since appearing. Sorry Latitude get it nearly spot on every year. Leave Snow Patrol and George Ezra to the masses and search out some unknown acts and you will surprised at how much a better time you will have

Couldn't agree more. Last year I was fortunate enough to be recommended W.H Lung. Caught them at the Lake Stage and they were amazing. Also loved Gang of Youths. Killers were good, caught the end of Solange and chose to dodge Rag n Bone man as I find him dull, but Latitude is about SO much more. If I go this year I'll give Snow Patrol and George Ezra a wide berth, but I know there will be more to do at 10pm than stand at the main stage.

19 hours ago, Chazwiz said:

yes but at £220 a pop and £60 for the caravan, we are in for £500 before weve left home.

and dont get me wrong, i have had some great times at this festival and last year Breeders, TuneYards, Gang of Youths and Confidence Man  were all first time highlights... but it is nice to get a decent headliner or two..

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Chazwiz said:

I do kinda agree with this. Us veteran 'tuders know there will ALWAYS be something on. 

However......I also think that the headliners are a 'tentpole' to the whole weekend. When you talk to non festival goers and they ask whos headlining the festivals you are going to, having to say LAna Del Ray, Snow PAtrolzzzz and Little Georgie Ezzzzzra is REALLY demoralising. And, whilst the headliners are on, the only other stage which will have music on would be the BBC music stage (the frankily FANTASTIC Lake & Sunrise stages do finish earlier, around 10...). And this year, we seem to have Slaves (enjoyable for 5 minutes, then very tedius) And PRimal Scream (who in recent times, never seem to be bothered anymore....). So....whilst I agree with your point, it would be nice to see something 'good' headlining somewhere......

And, i think, thats where the negativity comes from.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1